would anyone else be angry at this?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
IMG-20140116-00759.jpgI got down to the yard at quater to 2 , I hadn't even closed the gate before one of the girls was telling me all my fencing is down. The fencing separating my two and the spottys as we call them. I race down there to find the plastic posts and part of the electric fencing half way across the field and the rest of the tape on the floor. Sox was following me around then when I was trying to get it all together kept smelling the tape. Anyhow I have a quick look at the pair of them soxs buddy is ok. However soxs has cut himself on either side of his mouth , just take the first layer of skin of. Rang the vet up and they said not to ride him for about 9 days and let it heal. But am so annoyed no one at the yard rang or texted me or even brought my boys in. The person who turns the spottys out is acting YM when our YM isn't there and she would have seen all the fencing down, tape everywhere etc. Now if it was me I wouldn't be able to leave them knowing there was loose tape and posts on the ground incase they did an injury. Would anyone elsae be angry at this.

Yes I would be annoyed if I knew for sure the YM or person in charge whilst they are away had seen it. Hope Sox heals soon - glad no other damage done to him.

I rang the woman up the road to tell her her pony was charging about tangled in yards an yards of tape and dragging about 5 posts along with it.

It's only common sense to alert an owner and avoid a problem, that electric tape is vicious

Yes I would think it was rude not to mention it.

I accidently let some out the other day, caught them but told the owner. Even though no harm done.

If I was in your situation I would be annoyed noone had phoned, at least then you could have asked them to bring them in if they hadn't thought to do that.

Poor poor Sox, that looks sore, I hope it heals well and soon. Cyrus got cut on corner of mouth about 10 days ago and it is improving but still can't have bridle on. Lots of healing vibes to Sox

xxx

I would be more than angry, having a friend who's horse had to be PTS because of the cheese wire effect of running through and being caught in electric fencing. :devil:

What an odd injury for Sox to get from just hooning about the electric tape though? I would have quite expected that sort of damage elsewhere on the body from the tape....but his mouth?? What did he do, chew on it?:frown: Is the electric current strong enough, very often this sort of thing happens when it is either left off or there isn't a strong enough charge running through it.

I will be asking people at the stables tomorrow in regards to what happened. We believe he was trying to crib on it. But what I don't understand is his field is full of wooden posts that he will crib on so why crib on the fence? Unless he was just chewing it. The fencing wasn't on. I have borrowed a friends battery aand charger thing so he will get shocked if he does it again. Can anyone ggest any exercises I can do on the ground with him? Lunging is one but I would like a few more things if any of you can think of any xx

I'd be really annoyed too.

But....when did you get another horse? I thought you just had Sox! Have I missed something?

Oh! I just have sox. Sox and his buddy both share a field and because I bring them both in everyday and sometimes turn out and bring in I find it easier to call them 'mine' or ' the boys'

Poor Sox, I agree I would be angry to. Electric fencing tape can be so dangerous when its dragging around on the floor. I had my poor neighbour out at midnight in summer as the horses had pulled the fencing down! She came straight out and put it back up. Its just second nature to do that when horses are involved.

Arrgghh! Can't sleep! Need to rant! :banghead: why couldn't they have phoned or brought the horses in I know it doesn't change that sox cut his mouth but they could have done something rather then leaving them in a field with eletric fencing loose and down on the floor and leaving the posts scattered around the field. My horse picks up headcollars and plays with them . Imagine what he would do with electric tape on the ground and plastic posts with great big spikes on the bottom! One of the girls said it serves him right for windsucking on them. We doneven know if that's what he was doing he might have been chewing on them! Why windsuck on electric fencing when he knows and has been windsucking on wooden posts in the field !

Last edited:
One of the girls said it serves him right for windsucking on them. !

thats a terrible attitude to have, would she of said the same if his leg was severed from being wrapped in the metal tape!

I think the best thing to do is have a word with the YM, about the whole situation, to ensure it dosent happen again. Your paying for her wages !

how long had it been down for before you arrived? MAybe they literally just took it down and she knew you were coming any minute now?
Otherwise, not good :( she should have at least gathered up the tape and posts, whether it's her 'job' or not, it's common sense and I'm sure she would have appreciated it if it happened to her own horses.

our sometimes have the fence dividing the field in the winter down. whoever finds it broken first will go up and 'secure the area' eg at least roll up any lose tape and move any posts lying around. eg the horses don't care who owns them when they get injured!

Thank you so much for all your support with this guys. I think the fencing had been down a good few hours or so . When asked someone to come and help me to open his mouth so I could clean it. There was a few in the cafe mainly liverys one been the YM and the other is basically she does all the full liviers and is acting YM when the actual YM isn't there. So yeah when if they could help me. The YM asked if he was ok then when I said he had the fencing in his mouth the woman who does the liverys said ' bet it was sox who brought the fence down. I bet he was windsucking on it' then later said we need to borrow someones box otherwise he is going to really hurt himself! She saw our fencing was down and could have brought my boys in!

to be honest i'd expect the YO to ensure the fencing was on in the first place. a lot of horses don't respect fencing that isn't live and tape can cause horrific injuries if they get tangled up in it :(

newrider.com