would a shetland be an appropriate companion for bim??

raggydoll

Hattie & Bimble
May 16, 2005
North Lincolnshire
Purely hypothetical, im not rushing into anything but at the same time bim does need company. I need to find out what is happening with my grazing first though so unfortunately she will have to be alone for a few weeks again which i feel terrible about. But after that, i'm thinking a little shetland to have fun with and that my younger sister can enjoy pampering may be the best option for now and maybe look at getting the second haffie i always wanted after my wedding. What do you think? Would the size difference matter?? (Bim is 13.3)

Size isn't an issue for making friends. Although the bigger the difference the odder it looks when they try to groom. My first pony was 13.2 and we had Shetland companion for her and they were best buds and groomed without problems.

Sorry to hijack this thread Sian but what has happened about Ebony? Has she been collected? How did her owner respond to the news about the sarcoids?

I think it would an appropriate option. Alice25 (I think..) got a shetland to keep her cob Alfie company and I think they are friends!

Have you thought about the gender thing yet?

did you not see my last posts jane?? Eb is going home as soon as i have sorted transport, another family are waiting to see her so hopefully she will find a fab home. Turns out she may actually be in foal as she was running with a 15 month old colt as well as 2 other mares who are both 3 months pregnant!!! Im struggling to sort out transport at the moment though. Bim is getting quite attached to her so i do want to find her another *permenant* companion as soon as possible and i dont really want the pressure of building my confidence on another horse while everything else in my life is happening so i have decided just to enjoy my fabulous bim and do everything i can to make sure she is as happy as possible. I have applied to our local rescue home for a foster horse as a companion otherwise i will be looking to purchase cheap small pony as soon as possible to keep bim company i really want one soon as i wont see much of bim during daylight hours in the week after next week so i really want her to have company. Im going to spend the money i will save not buying ebony on a generator and lights for my school so i can do more with bim over the winter. Nothing to hard on her legs but just having fun and unwinding after the stresses of everything else thats going on. Ooh sorry rambled on there - as you can see ive been giving it all alot of thought!! :)

Chickflick - not thought about gender, only ever had mares, not by particular choice, perhaps i should give a gelding a go??

Last edited:
I had to get a companion a few months ago & discounted shetlands mostly for Artemis' reason but also because I felt that if I was paying to buy & keep something it may as well be something more than a companion! I went for a 2yo sec D that I bought very cheaply, have a lot of fun handling at the moment & hopefully will make me a nice easy fun pony in a couple of years (providing the carthorse doesn't get jealous & I have to sell that one to get him another "toy" :rolleyes: ).

I have a shetland mare who's a total little madam :rolleyes: !
But I've known several nice ones too :) .

She's looks ultra teeny next to my horses (she's a millimetre over 40"), but they get on well enough ;) .
I've known enough sweet-natured ones to recommend them.

Have to share ... these two are NOT mine, but they are 'best friends' ... size is not an issue :) The one is a rescued Belgian draft ( I think he's Belgian - BIG anyway) and the other is rescued, but not a draft !

Marshal2020Wrangler20copy.jpg

Their story is from the Horses of Proud Spirit which is a rescue (obviously). The lady who runs it wrote a book - to raise funds no doubt - but it is really a wonderfully written book (someone gave it me for a christmas present, and I think it was the best present I had) - I'd defy anyone to read it without a tear or two... and those of us returning to horses as adults will identify so much with her story of how whe was duped at the start and saw the seedier side of horse trading first hand - and hence got drawn into the rescue thing.

Last edited:
I have a Shetland companion horse, and I had to buy him a comanion horse of his own! He bonded very deeply with the two big horses, which was fine, but he would run himself into the ground when the horses left, and we would come home to a sweaty puddle of Shetland, poor boy :)
We bought him a coloured miniature, who is a much better companion. The size thing doesn't seem to matter, Maxx would quite happily shove my Clydie X off his feed.

Shetlands are lovely. Some can be little monsters but some are real gems. My daughters Shetland was 100% around kids. Though I think she thought she was human. :p They are cheap and easy to pick up as well. I would stick to getting a mare. As when you mix a mare and gelding they could get too attached. Making things difficult when you seperate.

Oh get one they are great!I have 2- Smudge is tiny about 29 inches and Bruno is 11hh but he drives too which is really good fun!they are easy to keep and live of fresh air which will suit restricted grazing with Bimble. they do like to 'do' something so get one that drives or big enough for you to ride round the field!Bailey is 14.1hh and likes his little gang..smudge sleeps in his shelter with him!I'll try and post a picci -it should be smudge and bailey if it works

Attachments

• UNTITL1.jpg
    UNTITL1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 9
We used to have shetlands and a couple of the horse just didn't like them:rolleyes: Brodie was very attatched to his little friend but Kim HATED the shetlands - they're the only equid I've seem her be nasty to - she likes the donkey:rolleyes:. And Tia hated my shetland Lucy and used to beat her up.

Bimble might not like a shetland but it would be better than nothing. Tis unlikly to, but worth bearing in mind.

The main problem with shetlands is trying to accomidate such a small and laminitic prone pony but if Bimble is on a striact diet most of the time a shetland should be fine. Then you can buy a cart and drive it:D

newrider.com