Would a missing front tooth in a youngster matter in a show?

MissMare

Mar 6, 2008
I went to see a beautiful colt yesterday. I am still in thinking mode as there were a couple of things I am debating- but will start a thread when I have my mind in line as to how it went.

One thing though is he has knocked out one of his front teeth. He did it a few months ago (now 9 months old), doesn't cause him any problems with eating, she openly showed me it. I am going to phone my equine dentist to ask what he thinks, and I am thinking of sending a vet to see him about his manly bits so will ask them to have a look.

Reason I am asking in here is he is really stunning, real presence, and I would want to show him at probably county level (he came 4th at Anglesey last year) but would a missing tooth effect the judges decision? I.e are his showing days over until he gets his adult teeth through? I haven't done any showing, but if I did purchase this lad then it is something I would want to get involved with. Local first obviously.

I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference, the judges only look at their physical confirmation i.e. bone structure and how they are put together, youngsters start losing their milk teeth at about two and a half and plenty are still shown at that age so I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them go round with wonky teeth as they take a while to grow all the way down.

The only thing maybe to bear in mind is that they can get a bit ratty when their teeth are coming through so that may possibly affect his performance in the ring, but as this is knocked out rather than fallen out it shouldn't be a prob for now. Good idea re talking to your dentist about any poss effects!

He did look like a super boy in the pics so will be really interesting to hear how you're feeling! :)

I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference, the judges only look at their physical confirmation i.e. bone structure and how they are put together, youngsters start losing their milk teeth at about two and a half and plenty are still shown at that age so I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them go round with wonky teeth as they take a while to grow all the way down.

The only thing maybe to bear in mind is that they can get a bit ratty when their teeth are coming through so that may possibly affect his performance in the ring, but as this is knocked out rather than fallen out it shouldn't be a prob for now. Good idea re talking to your dentist about any poss effects!

He did look like a super boy in the pics so will be really interesting to hear how you're feeling! :)

Thanks for your reply. Made me feel a bit better about it all - I just wondered if the judges looked at teeth to get an idea of age so thought it was worth asking.

I spoke to my dentist who very kindy went into lots of detail about problems that could happen if he didn't have regular checks- which mine do anyway- but generally didn't think it should be a problem. It may effect the adult teeth coming through but he said as long as they were checked regular there wouldn't be any problems :) now just 3 other niggles to think about. :cry: As you can tell, I don't go into things lightly and need to be 100%

Depends on the breed and the education of the judge.

Some breeds teeth is a HUGE issue. some judges are jusst not ecucated.

Most Horsemen, would see a baby. losing his teeth as just that......some judges cannot.......

Depends on the breed and the education of the judge.

Some breeds teeth is a HUGE issue. some judges are jusst not ecucated.

Most Horsemen, would see a baby. losing his teeth as just that......some judges cannot.......

He is a Welsh D Wally. :)

I'd have hoped the average Welsh D judge would know mal occlusion and baby teeth falling out.

I'd have hoped the average Welsh D judge would know mal occlusion and baby teeth falling out.

Sorry, it wasn't the general falling out, he is too young still. He has knocked it out himself. His mouth is lined up fine, it just looks a bit odd when he opens his gob because one of the teeth in the middle is missing.

If I could recognise it, I imagine a judge especially at County level would recognise it. If they do look. But I wondered if it mattered to them, do they look for a good set of teeth or just for approx how old they are.

I'd look for well linedup teeth, no sign of mal occlusion, the odd tooth missing at that age is neither here nor there.....but it might make the difference in a show down

I'd look for well linedup teeth, no sign of mal occlusion, the odd tooth missing at that age is neither here nor there.....but it might make the difference in a show down

Do they look in the mouth at county level? I haven't ever seen a judge do that?

when my youngster was losing her teeth she had such a toothless smile it was hilarious!!!! she reminded me of the tractor from the film Cars - haha

newrider.com