Wormer info please

ladyluxor

Apr 11, 2008
norfolk
I get all confused when it comes to wormers. my daughters pony was last wormed with panicur granuels.. I am wondering what to use now as i have just taken in a little mini shetland so want to worm them both, plus i have just moved to a new field. What would u recommend i use for them both??

At this time of year we always worm for tape and then usually in December we worm with Equest to get rid of any encysted worms. We worm count (Westgate Labs offer a great service) twice a year and strategically worm twice a year. With the new arrival I'd be tempted to worm count them both so you know if either has any burden. Regardless of the results I would be worming for tape and encysted anyway as these don't show up in counts. However having regular counts, if you don't already, helps keep wormers to a minimum and help minimise the chances of resistance.

So what wormer would you suggest i use just found one called ANIMEC?? says it covers all of them but i have never used it before. or should i just use equest promax

Oh dear, you can't just give any old thing. Animec is an ivermectin based wormer.

Dreamster gave good advice above (thank you) in that you should test them first. If they had a high worm burden then Equest Pramox might not be the best choice. There are lots of things to consider, covering for tapeworm and encysted redworm is important but might have to be done in stages. Read some of the case histories on our Facebook page and please think about testing first so you know where you are starting from.

Im not just going to give any old thing....:frown:

I normally use equest and have always done them every season. But last nov i decided to use panacur as the vet said it is good to change them.

I only asked if anyone had used tht wormer as i had never heard of it before but was on a wormer page.

I do actually have the testing kit from westgate here but was wondering if to worm first as the lil shetland we have now got has just come to us and since they didnt get her urgent dental work sorted i am assuming they didnt bother with the worming ither.

All i was asking was advice on WHAT one people use..

I give my horses Equest Paramox in september which treats, tapeworm, bots and redworm,
I worm twice a year and have 2 worm counts each year.

Having just bought the shetland I could get a worm count, you can not get a worm count for tapeworm this needs to be done by your vet.

However with a wormcount no matter what the result you still need to worm for tapeworm twice a year.

For my new horse with unknown history Panacur 5 day guard for encysted red worm and equitape for tape worm.

That is a lot of chemicals for one horse, also the 5 day Panacur Guard is only recommended for horses that have a very high worm count.

There are combined wormers that can be given in one dose in one day that treat encrysted redworm and tapeworm and bots as the one I used does.

I just don't believe in putting too many chemicals into a horse that is not neccessary

Yep me too I followed vets advice and did my HND in Horse Care and management Passed with a dipoloma which also covered not only the digestive system but all about worming. soil testing etc.

Giivng two wormers as your vet has said is overlaoding a horse with chemicals that are unneccessary, unless your horse came to you with a body score of 1 or 2 and was showing signs of worm burden.

I must be doing something right when my last three worm counts came back Zero. :dance::dance::dance:

Yep me too I followed vets advice and did my HND in Horse Care and management Passed with a dipoloma which also covered not only the digestive system but all about worming. soil testing etc.

Giivng two wormers as your vet has said is overlaoding a horse with chemicals that are unneccessary, unless your horse came to you with a body score of 1 or 2 and was showing signs of worm burden.

I must be doing something right when my last three worm counts came back Zero. :dance::dance::dance:

I thought worm counts were never truly 'zero' but very low or am i confusing them with something else.

I doubled dosed with strongid P end of Sept (including my shetland) and will be using Equest in December (or first frost).

Oh my daiz i am even more confused than i was to start with

So what wormer should i worm them with now?? and when should i worm count.

Yes i am Blonde :biggrin:

If someone could just write me good worming plan i would be very very gratefull

Yep I have confirmation saying just that from Westgate Labs

Test Result Report : Ref 9710 - 19/04/2011
Name of Client : Miss Dawn Emmerson
Laboratory Report
Name of Horse Count / Type of Eggs
kyle (<) less than 50 e.p.g. (no eggs seen in sample)
Spike (<) less than 50 e.p.g. (no eggs seen in sample)

Westgate Laboratories, Middle Stobswood, Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61 3AZ. Tel/Fax (01670) 791994.

Ladyluxor if you are interested in worming twice a year with worm counts then why not contact Westgate Labs themselves for advice, they are very good and when you send in your first worm count they send a reminder out to you saying you either need another wormcount or to give a wormer. They have a helpline to ask questions. They are experts and will certainly help you.

While forums are great for help and advice it is often conflicting and causes more confusion as you have found.

newrider.com