Working too young?

Kazza_B

Feb 27, 2008
How many hours of ridden work per week do you think is acceptable for a still growing 3yr old to be doing. He is a Highland (heavy, but slow maturing) and im not light at about 10 stone :eek: we do about 6 hours a week at the mo.

He is not struggling with the work, he loves it, im just concerned about any damage i might be doing to he's development?

xxxx

I think 6 hours is quite a bit actually. I'd cut down, there really is no rush and he won't mind whether he is being ridden or out in the field with friends (in fact, he'll probably love this).

Well, I suppose this might be a bit old-fashioned now, but the rule always used to be to back lightly at 3 and then turn away and bring back into work as a 4 year old!

I personally wouldn't be doing much ridden work at all on a 3 year old, but then, perhaps I'm old-fashioned?

My highland is 3 years and 4 months and at the moment he is doing about 20 mins longreining a couple of times a week. I haven't really backed him, he has had a tiny friend sat on him for 2 mins but in my boys case he is no where near mature enough for ridden work yet. He is still quite croup high and still has a very short attention span :) I'm hoping he will be started properly in the spring when he is nearly 4.

Yes 6 hours is quite a bit, i broke him 2months ago as i thought he'd stopped growing but his back ends just started to sprout up again so am thinking twice about working him so much.

I have to say turning him away is not an option last week i hadnt ridden him for a few days and after he's dinner he parked himself by the mounting block and refused to budge, the only way i could get him to move was to ride him bareback back to his field (which he thought was a mean trick, cos he wanted to go out)

As Thistle will know, its soooo difficult to keep a highlands weight down (espically with the grass non-stop growing) I ride him no longer than 45mins at a time.

Do you think he could cope with 3 hours a week?

MeB10908.jpg

This is him a few weeks ago, as you can see he is slighty croup high.

I don't think 3 hours a week would too excessive but still a lot for his age, but try to keep it varied (flat, long-lining, hacking, lunging) and schooling sessions as short (30mins) and basic as possible so he doesn't get bored with being ridden when he gets more mature.

I agree - I'd personally turn him away for 6 months to a year, but keep up plenty of regular groundwork sessions (i.e long reining, hacks in-hand and acclimatising him to the farrier, lorry etc NH exercises etc). I'd say 20 mins-1/2 an hour max for each session - be that riding or groundwork - per day, with up to 2-3 groundwork sessions a day.

You honestly look tiny on him btw!

x

I have a 3yo ISH x Holstien who I have just backed, and she get about 20-30mins of light work 5 times a week.

I am very conscious of what work I do with her - VERY little schooling, a little lunging and hacking around our 200 acre farm. I don't want her to get bored in the school.

Personally, I would back his work off about (I don't work my rising 6yo for 6 hours a week), give him a couple of days off a week and just do gentle work with him through the winter - just weekends or something.

I'm not planning on turning my filly away totally, as she would need to be totally re-backed next spring if I did. I'm just going to work her weekends, lunging one day, and ridden the next.

However, you know your own horse..... *dunno*

Last edited:
Yes i mainly hack out too, once a week in the school, i think 45mins 4 days a week sounds like a plan.

I actually exggerated a little, just thought about it properly and what i do is closer to 4-5 hours i think.
Its very hard to judge with youngsters, some look fully mature and plently strong enough for work but you cant see whats going on inside them! He hasnt got splints or leg/foot troubles (like other 3yr olds i know) so i take that as a postitive sign.

I always think i look big on him, hes only 13.3hh but very wide (like me :D) But thank you for saying so!

xxxx

I have three 3 year olds that was all backed in april when they turned 3, they was literally just sat on and walked around then turned away for the summer.

Now they are 3 and a half they are going to be hacked out at the weekends for 30-60min, missing the occassional weekend because of other bits and bobs thats going off, plus groundwork

When they turn 4 (and weather picks up :p) the work load will increase and schooling sessions will begin.

I would turn him away now and do nothing until next summer/autumn.

He is still growing and the more you do with im the more you are putting on his joints which may have effects latter on in life for him. When they are still growing doing circle work etc puts a lot of strain on them.

You ahve backed him and ridden him on, I think thats enough, now let him do his growing without interference.

I keep getting told to do something with my youngster who is 2 as he is standing at 16.2hh just now and he is still growing. Nut I refuse to do anything but handle him. i wont even trot him in the yard as his joints are so big I dont want to put any strain on them what so ever. He will be getting backed August/Sept next year and will only be lightly backed (about 4-6weeks very light work) and then turned away until same time the following year when he is just over 4. Even then he will be turned away as a 4yr old and not back in work until he is 5!!!!!!

Dont do too much too soon, after all you have plenty of time if you dont plan on selling him. I know people might frown at this but this is waht I do with youngsters as i dont agree with doing much with them when they are young.

By all means keep him ticking over lightly just keep the work easy & short. Personally I'd stay out of the school as much as possible because it's physically & mentally demanding, instead I'd hack out quietly a few times a week & let him see a bit of life.

He looks like a lovely pony & you certainly don't look too big or heavy for him. He's going to be a big laddie when he matures!

I have a 3 year old welsh D, that has been backed (by previous owner)

I recently gave her some time off, wasn't settled in new field, but will be bringing her back into some work soon

I was hacking her out once/twice a week for around 30 mins, mostly in walk, and was lungeing her once/twice a week also

She seems fine with this work load! Although I am considering turning her away for the winter, as I will be unable to work her consistently as we have no facilities!

But every horse is different!

You don't always have to turn away but while they are still growing minimum ridden work should be paramount, my 3 1/2yr old has only been sat on lightly twice, and before she is four will do very little, when she is four she will be lightly hacked once or twice a week certainly not 4 - 5hrs of work, and only when she's 5 - 6 will she be asked to work on circles and in the school as otherwise you risk compromising their joints

My boy is 3yrs 3 mnths. I backed him in june. For the last 2 months i've lightly schooled him for around 15 mins after 10 mins on the lunge roughly 3 times a week. I sometimes walk him in hand out to the nearby forest just to give him a change & hope to begin to lightly hack him soon. (Short hacks of course).
He loves his work, I'm careful to not push him & i weigh 8st so i don't think it's too much.
6 hours a week is a lot so it would be better to cut this down especially in the school. Nice gentle hacks would be better while your boy's growing. Lovely pic by the way, & i think that you make an ideal partnership. You don't look too heavy for him at all. Just enjoy the time you spend together however you spend it :)

newrider.com