Working in an outline

Sassylady

Oct 4, 2021
So I've returned to riding I'm middle aged (near 50) I have x2 1 hour lessons a week. I can confidently walk, trot, canter slightly nervous when I ride a spooky 16.1hh. I've been back since COVID riding for 6 months and before that I had a break for COVID then I was riding for 2 years then I rode when I was a teenager alot even took lessons. At my last lesson I was told to try riding in an outline the instructor showed me and I did it and managed to do it first time never been asked to ride in an outline before. I really want my own horse but my instructor said I will be ready in 6 months when I can confidently ride in an outline for walk, trot, canter. My question is why aren't we taught to ride in an outline from Day 1? Or is this something a confident novice can only master in time. My legs still wobble a bit but my seat and position are spot on. My other question is when were you good enough to have your own horse? I don't have time on my side now and wasn't allowed my own horse/pony when I was young even though I was obsessed with riding but then I married had children and didn't ride as much.

Hello, welcome to New Rider!

I got my first horse just before my 50th birthday. Like you I didn't have a pony when I was younger and it wasn't until then that I was in a position to look after a horse properly.

As for an outline, well, me and my Connemara pony Ziggy never rode in an outline but we had loads of adventures and many happy years together. My new horse Sid, a traditional cob, can achieve an outline with me when coached by my RI: but when we're out and about hacking, which is our thing, we just don't bother. If he is carrying himself nicely with his head long and low that is good enough for me.

Personally I think people insist on a horse going "in a shape" or "in an outline" when it's not necessary, and also that many people don't know what it really is and assume that if the horse has his head tucked in he is working correctly. I don't believe that the ability to ride a horse in this frame is in any respect essential for someone who wants to own a horse - it would rule me out entirely!

You will probably get different answers here. But I asked the same question of my RI when I went for some dressage lessons after many years hacking.

There are a series of books with diagrams by a vet, Sara Wyche, The Anatomy of Riding. etc
Sara Wyche shows a sideways view of the horse with the legs supporting front and back but the spine in the middle, saggling under the weight of a rider.
Most riding since WW1 recommends increasing the movement in the hindlegs of the horse so that each hind leg steps well forward under the body and the horse then lifts its body (i.e. less sagging) to allow the leg to come through.
This is easier for the horse to do if it is slightly compressed from front to back which is what we call collection, brought about by a combination of the reins (hence contact) and the rider's leg cues.

This is not something one learns in ones early lessons when one is concentrating simply on staying balanced and selecting speed, direction and gait.
However, some of us in our early lessons and through much delirious high speed hacking, turn out to have what is called a "hot" seat. My dressage teacher told me not to worry about collection as the hind legs were already stepping well under for me.

Once you can get the feel of this, one riding lesson exercise is to collect the walk along the short side of the school and lengthen it a little down the long side and finally walk across the diagonal in an extended walk on a long rein. But be aware that for a horse, this changing the degree of collection is the eqivalent of going to the gymn. Something for a short exercise session rather than done on a long hack.

Reactions: Sassylady
I just wanted to add to my previous post. it seems quite daft to me to say that before you can own a horse you have to be able to ride in an outline. I remember taking lessons for a year or so at a riding school where I learned dressage on an ex Olympian horse, their schoolmaster. Absolutely anyone could ride him in an outline, because he always carried himself perfectly. Once I had the idea they put me on a younger horse, who needed to be properly ridden, and I only had occasional success. But so much depends on the horse!

I just wanted to add to my previous post. it seems quite daft to me to say that before you can own a horse you have to be able to ride in an outline. I remember taking lessons for a year or so at a riding school where I learned dressage on an ex Olympian horse, their schoolmaster. Absolutely anyone could ride him in an outline, because he always carried himself perfectly. Once I had the idea they put me on a younger horse, who needed to be properly ridden, and I only had occasional success. But so much depends on the horse!
Totally agree - I shouldn't own ours then. I only ever rode Storm in an outline once in a blue moon and Joe used to put himself into one. Wasn't anything I did!

Another agreeing here! I was never taught to ride in an outline. Now I have lessons on my own horse my RI attempts to teach me, but I'm not very good! We've been at it 11 years and it's still a work in progress. I much prefer hacking and letting my horse enjoy the scenery as much as me lol.

I would say confidence, support and the right horse are far more important than being able to ride in an outline. Unless possibly your instructor equates riding in an outline to having control over the horse and balance in the rider? I suppose if you can ride a consistent outline in wtc on a riding school horse you have achieved a certain standard as a rider.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I only rode my highland Melody in a outline because she was dressage trained and had great self carriage.

I hope you manage to get your own horse. But when you feel ready take advice and time to find the right horse for you. Buyer Beware should be imprinted on your mind.

Enjoy lessons and planning owning your own 🤞😀

Welcome to NR!

An 'outline' doesn't really exist, or at least, is a misleading phrase I think. It's got little to do with where the horse's head or even the horse's hind end but about how well the horse is able to use his back. It's not something that is confined to a school either. For all of you saying you hack, chances are, you're halfway there if the horse feels forward and can walk, trot & canter in reasonable balance, doesn't hollow his or her back and is able to find his or her balance up & downhill 😉

When you think of the components making up the scales of training are rhythm, suppleness & contact as the first three, nothing is about the 'outline' of a horse. But when they come together, the horse will be working through his back and will naturally be working in a biomechanically healthy way.

Part of the trouble from a RS perspective, I think is that to have a horse that is going to remain sensitive eenough for a rider influencing the rhythm in their own body for example, is probably going to be too sensitive to teach a complete beginner who will wobble all over the shop initially. And it's mainly a question of economics for them, you might only have a couple on the yard and a yardful of steady horse's that know the drill & will keep riders safe but not necessarily teach them the finer details of riding.

It will also depend on the RI's experience too. Sadly not all RIs have been trained using the scales of training themselves, as in this country particularly, a lot of emphasises is placed on competition success rather than necessarily fundamentally correct training. The two can be exclusive but are not always so 🤣 I've ridden a high level dressage horse that had been successful that could barely use his back to walk up a hill, as he'd been essentially 'held' in a false way of going by strong arms and strong legs.

Those horses & RC's do exist that teach more classically but it's generally much more expensive experience 😅 I was really lucky as a teenager to work for a classical minded instructor & it's certainly helped - so I would recommend some schoolmaster experience if you can, it's well worth it!

You absolutely don't need to ride in an 'outline' to own a horse- in fact, not doing so is probably healthier than forcing an outline in a horse.

Last edited:
I was really lucky as a teenager to work for a classical minded instructor & it's certainly helped
I have had an instructor like this for more than 10 years. She can sit on any horse - honestly, she has come trying horses with me, and she can do this on a green 4 year old - and through her stable body position and core strength (and years of experience, obviously) she can encourage the horse to lift its back and move correctly. She could even get my little sewing machine Ziggy to do it, though it was hard work. She works with me and the horse I have. You could find someone like that too, when you feel ready to get your own horse.

Reactions: Huggy and Sassylady
You really can't ask a horse to work correctly until you have independent legs, seat and hands, which is why it's not taught from the start, you really do have to develop those first, and as already mentioned a sensitive horse who responds to subtle weight changes would be all over the place with a wobbly novice on board.

I don't think you need to be able to ride in an outline to own your own, so long as you pick the right horse in the first place, something kind and forgiving. Perhaps your instructors perspective is that your skills are going to quickly out grow the novice steady neddy that you would need now, and you'll find yourself torn between the horse that you have fallen in love with and wanting to move onto something more advanced, so waiting a few months is the better option.

You really can't ask a horse to work correctly until you have independent legs, seat and hands, which is why it's not taught from the start, you really do have to develop those first, and as already mentioned a sensitive horse who responds to subtle weight changes would be all over the place with a wobbly novice on board.

I don't think you need to be able to ride in an outline to own your own, so long as you pick the right horse in the first place, something kind and forgiving. Perhaps your instructors perspective is that your skills are going to quickly out grow the novice steady neddy that you would need now, and you'll find yourself torn between the horse that you have fallen in love with and wanting to move onto something more advanced, so waiting a few months is the better option.
This makes me feel very positive. I went back to riding after COVID (14th September) and I'm now better than I was before COVID and I was riding for a year back in 2019. I rode today and understand the fundamentals of riding in an outline and the benefit to the horse better for their back/health. It's more about carrying the horse underneath and going forward then collectively bringing them under and feeling through the reigns. I managed it in walk and trot but not canter yet.

Reactions: Jessey
My old boy, in his prime, would work in an outline, but I didn't really like doing it. Present boy I think would tell me where to go in no uncertain terms if I tried it. I tend to think one's ready in more practical terms - walk, trot, canter, gallop, sit a spook or a buck and most important, be able to stop! And of course, be able to do all of the above without compromising your horse's wellbeing.

Some very good comments already been posted.

I dont think you have to be able to ride in an outline to own a horse. I still cant ride mine in an outline. Its having the understanding of why you should. If you can do this though, long term it will help to develop your horse and keep him sounder as he will be using correct muscles from the time you get one.

Owning a horse though isnt just about the riding aspect, its about the daily care and relationship you build on the ground. The bond you have together. You must ask yourself if you are ready for this.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com