Work with horses and not starve???

sandrider

Mar 26, 2001
Visit site
Help! I'm thinking of giving up a good and fairly lucrative career in education management to do what I really want to do and work with horses. I know some of you on the board have horsey occupations/businesses and I'd really appreciate hearing about your experiences. It's a scary decision! I'm also not sure which direction to go in - I enjoy doing some teaching but not sure I want to do just teaching. Eventually I'd like to have my own business but need to get some capital together for that. Any advice?

make your fortune!

There's only one way to make a small fortune out of horses - that's to start with a big one! No kidding, if you have a lucrative occupation which supports your passion, stay with it, I've never yet met anyone in horses who doesn't have to struggle. I teach part time as well as having my own business to support 4 horses for myself & my kids and I sometimes, in the middle of January usually, think I am totally mad.

Don't do it!
Seriously, if you already have a good job stay with it, unless you really can't stand it any longer, and spend your spare time enjoying your horses. If you are really fed up and need a change then make sure you can cover important things like mortgage and every day bills,'cos there are not many jobs out there that will allow you to keep a high standard of living and work with horses.

Horse Job

I'm almost 16 and had a voulenteer job mucking out stalls, grooming, cleaning tack, etc. All I can say is that it's HARD work, but I enjoy myself. Sometimes, though, the weather doesn't go good or the horses are bad, and that can really bring you down. All I can say is go with what you feel. If you're satisfyed with your present job, then stay, but if you go to work with horses, you need to be aware that you might have to give a few things up, or put them on hiatis.

Maci :)

PS- It helps to make a pro's and con's chart of your decision!

I know it sounds a bit mad. Apart from the money, I wonder if I would enjoy horses as much if I did nothing else. I don't hate my current job but the problem is that it's very demanding and I have very little free time or energy to spend with the horses and also spend a large part of my salary on livery and all the extras that horses involve. I suppose my real question to those of you who work with horses is would you do anything else if you could? Do you regret working with horses and maybe making less money than you could in something else?

When I started out - too many years ago - I had a wonderful life. I job-hopped by season, polo, hunting, SJ, had some great jobs and wouldnt change the memories. However I had NO ties, not even a dog. I lived in, and had no outgoings - the rate of pay in the 60s was £5 a week and that was fine.
I think the suggestion to write it all down, pros & cons is a good one, but then you have to look at it honestly. As for enjoying horses as much - they are my life, when I was away from them I longed to get back to them, and now I enjoy them more through my daughters than myself (tho when they leave home I AM going to get myself the Highland I have always promised myself. Ideally, a high paying part-time job and time for your own horses would be the only better option. but you can only make your own decision, and I wish you all the best with it.

I don't know if my career choice is to be with horses. I've looked at many different aspects : singer, actress, screen play writer, novelist, horse trainer, riding instructor, breeder, showing rider.

The problem with horse trainer and riding insturctor is that you need all these degrees to do it. AND MONEY!!
For being a competitor, you have to dedicate your ENTIRE life to riding. Something I'd sure LIKE to do, but a big risk to take.

hiya,im new,talk to me??? :)

hiya..im16 y/o and choosing which direction to follow when i start a new part of my life in september..i was all set to go to college and do 4 A levels..but now im having doubts..ive done my research and im seriously thinking of going to bicton agricultural college and doing the national diploma in the management of horses.. it seems to be a course which gives u a great kick start into a career in the horse industry.i know life isent always a feild of roses but honestly,is there anyone here who works with horses and doesnt regret it? anyone got their own horsey buisness's? ive been riding for 12 years without ever owning my own horse.i would really like to do this course..has anyone here done it? what jobs are you in now? ok sorry to drag on but replys would b apprechiated greatly,thanx, x

Frances and I have done it and quite frankly I don't think either of us regret it. It's dammned hard work but the rewards are huge, you will never be rich (money wise) but there are some folk out there I know, who have a more than comfy financial status, and are not happy, life is what YOU make it.

You said what I was hoping someone would say, Wally. I've written dozens of pros and cons lists, done and redone my sums but while you have to be sensible (make sure the mortgage is paid, etc) I think ultimately it's a decision of the heart rather than the head. My husband tells me I'm a different person when I'm around horses (in a positive sense - I hope!) which says a lot. I think my decision has changed from if to when and how. Thanks for the input everyone.

Thirty something!! but don't have a mortgage and only one dependant kid and a man who works very hard to bring in cash too.

newrider.com