Wooden Floors In Trailers

mia-baybii

Nov 4, 2007
Flintshire, North Wales
I bought an ifor williams trailer last month, it had a brand new wooden floor fitted 2 years ago and I was just wondering how long before a new floor do you think? I want to get an alloy floor fitted but it seems to be fine atm :rolleyes:. So far I have travelled my 16hh Tb with an Sec A in it together once a week and no problems :). But I always worry about them because of all the storys of wooden floors :eek:

Last edited:
Walk around it doing pressure tests, try and feel for weak spoys/damp/splits. IMO if you wanted to put a new floor in it id do it, I wouldnt wait for a sigh that I needed a new one

Stick with wood, as long as you can visually inspect it quite easily. Mine has rubber mats fitted, but they are not nailed down, so I can roll them up and check for the very first signs of wear.

If you have to do a little work in order to get down to see the floor - then do that now before you put a horse in it. Get to know your floor - and then do whatever you have to do in order to make it easy to inspect. Ease of inspection is really the key to a safe floor.

Thanks yes I'll pull the rubber matting up and check it later when i go up to the horses :) If you dont mind me asking, how much (abouts) is it to have a metal floor fitted?

I dont know, perhaps ring round some garages, but I wouldnt want metal flooring, it could be dangerous when wet surely?

Our trailer had a new floor a couple of years back so opted for a metal one. It has rubber matting fitted so can't tell by looking that its metal underneath! (unless you move the rubber matting - obviously!!)

Aluminium checker plate is about £30 a sheet. You''ll only need a couple to fit over the timber floor. It won't stop the timber rotting(20 years i'd guess) but it's reassuringly safe.

I don't like anything covering a timber floor that you can't easily easily remove. I have a steel trailer, so I don't know how much it would cost to put in a steel floor, and I wouldn't want one. Steel rusts and I would not trust it for flooring. Aluminium doesn't have rigidity, or strength that I would want in a floor. Stick with wood, and make sure you can inspect it daily. Not that you need to, but it needs to be that easy to inspect, so you do it often.

I don't like anything covering a timber floor that you can't easily easily remove. I have a steel trailer, so I don't know how much it would cost to put in a steel floor, and I wouldn't want one. Steel rusts and I would not trust it for flooring. Aluminium doesn't have rigidity, or strength that I would want in a floor. Stick with wood, and make sure you can inspect it daily. Not that you need to, but it needs to be that easy to inspect, so you do it often.
Ditto. I have a two trailers one wood and one aluminum floor. I prefer the wood and would trust it any day over the alum. :) Easier/cheaper to replace and less likely to have issues!

Can i just ask how much it will cost roughly to have a new wooden floor put in my box, it has completly gone but i did buy it cheep knowing this,my husband was goin to do it but with not having much time im just thinking bout waying up the cost ov parts against just getting somewhere to do it.

I have a wooden floor in my trailer, and used chopped cardboard bedding on top so he doesn't slip, it soaks up the pee and I can keep an eye on the state of the floor!

My trailer has a metal floor with rubber matting, Lady certainly doesnt slip in it.

I would never buy a trailer with a wooden floor, i'd be too scared of them falling through.

newrider.com