Wood pellets - photos?

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
Does anyone have any pictures of wood pellets in use? Both clean and dirty beds please :D

Madam is on wood chips, and Im getting fed up of it looking dirty (she is wet but fairly tidy). Currently poo pick by hand daily, and take all the wet out at the weekend and replace with a new bale. The banks are always immaculate, but the middle of the bed is already nasty (was gutted on Sunday PM).

I will try and get some pics tonight if i remember, mine are down but not used yet as my 2 aren't in over night at the mo.

No photos of bed, but Ben's bed is a light fawn colour with a few pellets still visible in it. I take out any really wet bed daily ( ben's wet & trammels it round a bit )& this keeps it looking nice. I use between one & two bags a week depending on how bed looks.

It depends on the horse! We have a yard full of them, a picture of the TB stallion's bed will be very different to a Welsh's bed which again will be utterly different to a cob or a pony! :D

I love wood pellets, Henry is having a mix of woodpellets and shavings at the moment and it's fab, warm, soft and dry :D

My boy is in a stable for the first time in his life since he moved yards on 1st October.... and he is on wood pellets... but I wouldn't know whether they were better or not as we are stable virgins :redface:

Am trying to add a photo but think it could be a mahoosive FAIL :redface:

Attachments

• IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 35
I'll try and remember to take some photo's of Oscar's bed for you... he is a dirty monkey and makes sure he tramples his poo in and kicks it around a bit just to make sure I'm busy of a morning!
I've tried a different make this year and although cheaper than my usual brand are no where near as good. Still wouldn't use anything else though.

DSCF7588.jpg

DSCF8325.jpg

mine aren't in yet, but when they are, 3 are really clean, one is an equine mixing machine - he just mashes everything up and stirs it all in:devil: (yet whenever I sneak up on him, he is stood calmly ! ) For him, putting a DEEPER bed, and semi deep littering works best - I just find as many droppings as I can, and try to leave the base undisturbed - it packs down to form a more stable, secure base, and he scuffles around the surface. I remove any really soggy bits every couple of weeks, but the surface always stays dry.

wood pellets

I don't have pics, but I do love the pellets over the chips any day. They last so much longer for me. and my pony only poos and pees in his stall. do all horses do that? he has 24 hour access to an outside paddock, but comes in to do his duty. Im thinking he doesn't like getting his grass dirty..so, for me I have tested the loose wood chips to the wood pellets which cost more in my area and the pellets last 10 times as long. I put 3-4 bags in his stall and wet them a little to fluff them up. My stall is a dirt floor with rubber mats covering about 90 percent of it. I keep the pellets at one end of his stall which is pretty large..and just scoop out manure a couple times a day. it separates so much easier than the chips. doesn't stick to the manure at all. that was my problem, was trying to separate the manure to not waste bedding. I've also tried the corn bedding, not sure if you have that in your area...but it seemed much dustier to me.

newrider.com