Wood Nooring/Chewing

Maggiemooo

Sep 1, 2009
Chelmsford, Essex
Frank my older boy has always noored the back of his stable door especially if I am slightly late to turn out in the morning - I have always put this down to him being a grumpy old man and just causing mischief!

However now Heathcliff has started doing the same. Not to the same extent, but definitely a new trend.

They all enjoy stripping the bark of the trees in the paddock too.

Anyone got any ideas why they are eating/nooring Wood?? Are they missing something supplement wise?

Had teeth done only 4 weeks ago, so I don't think it's that!

It could be that they are missing something in their diets, but it could also be boredom. Try providing a lick and few toys for them to see if it stops :)

Agree. :)

Sometimes chewing and gnawing becomes a habit, they do it 'because' and it's really annoying. Our lot have gnawed all the bark off some of the (very few!) trees in the field, and have killed the trees! They started doing it when they were on restricted grazing. They were (I swear!) rebelling at their 'lack' of grazing (5 horses on 15 acres rather than 22 acres! :rolleyes:)

They STILL gnaw at the odd tree if they feel like it, although they are not lacking anything and are certainly not bored. They do it 'because'.

I'd recommend some stable toys, maybe something like the Decahedron which you can pop treats into, so your horse knows that by moving the toy, he gets a reward, rather than gnawing getting him nowhere. ;)

newrider.com