Wonderful time in Tandem!

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Just been for a proper Tandem lesson.

I have messed about tandem with two of mine, but Yesterday I got a proper LHHI leson in the art, and by jove it is an art.

Knitting a fair Isle gansey with 4 reins in one hand, the whip in the other, through the trees at the side of the riverbank (Esther you may be familiar with the spot) with two willing forward going horses was a challenge to say the least. My brain hurt after 1.5 hours of utter concentration and apprehension.

But I feel so much better about the whole thing, So much so that I just might try Andy and Charlie together in Tandem!

By the end of the session we were doing 90 degree gateway turns and 20m circles with inclines without making too much of a totz of the whole thing.

If you saw the bit in Carriage Driving mag a month or so ago, about training two ponies to go tandem, it was that pair of ponies. Also the article was genuine, those two ponies were put together for the first time for the article.

WOW :eek: :eek: :eek:

Takes my hat off to Wally and anyone driving tandems or teams .......... I can cope with one set of reins :D .....and might even consider as I get more experienced trying a pair ( still only one rein to cope with) .... but two sets of reins plus whip .......... aaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh.

I love watching tandems and admire greatly the skill required to drive them.

... but how hard it is if they get in a pickle :eek: I saw pics of a driving trials tandem where the leader was up a bank to the side having left the wheeler and carriage in the water ...... always wondered how on earth they got out as it looked awful hard for anyone to have reached the leader to assist and looked impossible for it to jump down !!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you had great fun though Wally . ;) Keep us updated ....

It is like anything you havn't actually done and got your head around. The thinking about it is far worse that actually getting out there and doing it.

I was lucky in having two very well adjusted horses who knew darned well which sid the old bread as buttered. Very forgiving and tolerant of a rookie!

There are a few tricks to straightening the two, which are like magic. Take the offside leader and nearside wheeler rein, tweak them and , lo and behold, the pair go straight again........and vice versa......in certain situations where you can remember which reins are which! ;) ;)....and the horses are realy well adjusted...............

My tandem at the moment relies a good bit on good ponies rather than good driving even though I have been tandem driving for years so I'll be picking your brains for some of those tips Wally :)

I desperately need to get down to Jane's for some lessons sometime.

You will LOVE Doodle Dandy and Jenny Wren, so sensetive, forward going into your hands but sensible.

On one gateway turn, through an actual gate to no room for mucking it up, I made a totz of the turn but Doodles, bless him, just found his own way through while I steered Jenny.

Tandem is certainly an art, that is what we used to do at the nationals ( BHDTA) Pony Tandem

I would say your tandem leader has to be impeccable!! hehe

We did one day have a runaway when we were exercising, the bin lorry kindly decided to carry on emptying the bins as we drove past..my word that was scary i thought we were going to tip as we bounced up and down the kerb..

Mother of god!!!!!

apart from that they were pretty well behaved but ' fit ' if you get me!, Our tandem leader infact was still compeating as he turned 24 ! hes now retired and a younger model takes his place

newrider.com