wolf teeth - whats the problem?

G

I had the dentist out to Grady yesterday for a general check up and it would appear that he still has his wolf teeth.
Being a dumb ass I didn't know that this was a problem so my nice vet explained the situation to me.
I decided to have them taken out, even though the previous owners had had them ground down flat with the gum, I was warned that cos of his age they were probably rooted in there good and proper and it could get messy and was unlikely that they were causing any problem but untill we tried we'd not know.
Turns out the vet hardly had to touch them and they came straight out, which is a good indication that they could have been causing him alot of pain and in turn could be a reason for some of his bad behaviour (fingers crossed)
What sort of behaviour problems/syptoms could painful wolf teeth cause them and has anyone seen a dramatic difference in their horses since having them removed.

If you use a bit the wolf teeth can get in the way. My mare had her wolf teeth taken out before I got her.

(Sorry, had to do the minimise thing!).

Although horses can have wolf teeth and not have a problem with bitting they are usually taken out prophylactically so that they aren't a potential cause of trouble!

Last edited:
Dexter had his out at 11 there wasnt much difference he is more forward going now tho but may have been to do with fitness and change in bit aswell.

There's lots of problems causes by a sore mouth. Head-shaking and not accepting a contact are the most obvious, but it can affect the whole body. The become tense in the neck, which transferes to the back and hip - it makes them reluctant to become soft and can end up with painful muscles. That has a whole host of problems - bucking, hollowness, bolting, refusing to go forward, general grumpyness and lack of co-operation.

Bo was a pig when he was a baby, the slightest contact and he would throw his head and if you pushed the subject he would rear up, wolf teeth out and he started accepting the contact alot more and is now perfectly happy with it. So with the Baby girl, I went ahead and got her wolf tooth pulled before we started serious bitting or work (she's rising 3 but only had one to pull, will be keeping an eye out for the other one to get that pulled too) as I don't even want to go there with her.
It odd Bo had his out at 4 1/2 ish and his were these tiny little things (only about 4mm into gum) but caused loads of trouble, Jess had her one out in November (2 1/2yo) and hers was over an inch into her gum and was touching on the next tooth back at the root, so probably would have caused trouble at some point.

J x

When I eventually got round to backing a gelding I had (6yo) he was he had a habit of bolting off then stopping dead depositing rider(not only me I may add. Many other competent rider had a tumble from this beast). I got the dentist to check his teeth and he said the wolf teeth were likely to be bothering him. And true to his word after they were removed that problem seem to stop. I had many other problems with this horse, (I think due to the fact he was not gelded or handled much until he was 2yo and then delivered to me and kept beside my mare) but, he did see a lot better after removal of the wolf teeth. What problems have you been having?

The list is long............
Napping, bit grinding, recently head shaking, head bobbing,dumping head down mostly in canter, won't go forward, trying to bolt, bouncing and random cantering.
I know these aren't all due to the teeth but hopefully some of them will improve with the removal of these teeth.
Also how do you bring them 'back' into work so to speak. I'm leaving him till Sunday untill I put the bit back in his mouth but I'm guessing he'll be tender and it will feel strange to him so I was just going to pop him on the lunge.

newrider.com