Wolf teeth and bitting problems

Georgette

Feb 12, 2008
Kent
George, my heavy cob, has recently not been happy with his bit. I usually ride him in a french link loose ring snaffle but he has started chewing on the bit and after 30 mins or so snatching at it and tossing and shaking his head. The Equine Dentist has been out for the 2nd time and has rasped his teeth but this hasn't helped. She has now suggested that he has wolf teeth removed which should stop the problem. An alternative would be to ride in a bitless bridle but I am concerned about steering. George, bless him, spent his earlier years at a riding school and is still getting to grips with the more subtle aids, bless him. Advice please? I should point out that I am terrifed of the human dentist and can only just cope with the equine dentist. Friends at the yard have offered to help and I will cope with it if it is what is best for him

Georgette

why are you scared? are they taking out your wolf teeth! :p (joking i understand some people are scared im not taking the pi$$)

perhaps he would like something more solid in his mouth, unjointed plain eggbutt type.
if they are causing him touble, and its not just your dentist needing more work, then get them taken out, ask your friends if they will help while the deed is done and take it from there.
how old is he?

I am scared because I am deeply neurotic about dentists!!! And that't nothing compared to how I am near daddy-longlegs:eek: The dentist has a very good reputation and only suggested removing the wolf teeth when I asked her to come back for another visit when the earlier visit didn't help with his bitting problem. And she only asked for petrol money so I think she is on the level.

George is about 5 to 6 years old

if your dentist thinks it will solve the problem then i would have 'em out.

i wouldnt go down the bitless route because it limits what you can do and some insurance companies require a bit to be worn even while out hacking on roads or they wont cover you.

My 3 year old had his wolf teeth out quite recently ( they were sharp so I decided to get them out before he was even bitted). To be honest he was so well sedated I don't think he even remembers anything about it. I hate the human dentist too so I didn't exactly enjoy holding his head up for it to be done but it didn't take long. If you are really scared maybe someone else could hold your horse for you?

I bitted Col a few weeks later and there were no problems at all so I feel it was the right thing for him.

since they are causing issue, i'd have them removed :) my youngster has wolf teeth and since they aren't bothering him i've left them. Any signs of a problem though and they'll be out!

Dont panic!!

Many horses have them removed, and its not a big procedure! You could use a soft rubber bit which may help initially.
HOWEVER If your horse it head shaking etc, they are obviously uncomfortable. Getting a horse out of learned behaviors and them learning that the bit doesnt = pain would be far more problematic than removal! If this goes on for a long period of time, even when they're removed they may still associate the bit with pain and take it from me that can take forever to sort!
On another note - for now try riding in a Monty Robers head collar. Use your legs correctly to help with steering and start initially long reining with a leader to push them either way on your commands - it wont take long!
Id really talk to your vet or even book them for an hour for a ridden assessment.

I would get them taken out. Hugo had his till he was 7 (I didn't know he had them until after i bought him :eek:)

In some horses they cause no problems but he too used to toss his head about at times and he also could not trot in a straight line. Had his wolf teeth out and problem solved :D

I had the vet do his, as the vet has to be on hand to give drugs when taking wolf teeth out so was cheaper to get vet to do it than pay for the dentist to be there as well, but do whatever you are happiest with (some would prefer the dentist to do it)

I would def get them taken out though. His bit is probably knocking against them and causing discomfort like it did for my boy

:)

Many horses have them removed, and its not a big procedure! You could use a soft rubber bit which may help initially.
HOWEVER If your horse it head shaking etc, they are obviously uncomfortable. Getting a horse out of learned behaviors and them learning that the bit doesnt = pain would be far more problematic than removal! If this goes on for a long period of time, even when they're removed they may still associate the bit with pain and take it from me that can take forever to sort!
On another note - for now try riding in a Monty Robers head collar. Use your legs correctly to help with steering and start initially long reining with a leader to push them either way on your commands - it wont take long!
Id really talk to your vet or even book them for an hour for a ridden assessment.

yeah, why don't you try riding bitless, in a safe, enclosed area, and see how it goes, i was pleasantly surprised how well Shian went in a bitless, she went a LOT better than with a bit:)

I have a 5yr old with a big wolfie and I have to wait until October until the dentist is here to take it out - he tosses his head up so high when I'm riding him, he nearly hits me in the face! I'm definately having it out as I have had 2 previously to have them removed. I haven't been riding him as he was so bad with it but I have a Monty Roberts Dually so I think I'll try him in that tonight and see how he goes - I feel bad putting a bit in his mouth when it is clearly uncomfortable.

Let us know how you get on :)

Many horses that I know of have had their wolf teeth out due to this exact problem.
In my opinion, you should have them out...it shouldnt be too bad for your horse, he'll need a little time off but afterwards you will probably notice a big difference.
I've heard that the bit causes a sharp pain through them, just like when you get tinfoil on a filling! :eek:
However, if you cant bare the thoughts of your horse having his teeth out then a bitless bridle would probably be a good idea and I've heard good reports about the Monty Roberts Dually :)

Tried the dually on mine last night and it wasn't great - he became very heavy and strong (usually a bit too light). There was less head tossing but he would still do it when cantering. I feeel that if I carried on in this I would create more problems. The only thing that did improve was halt transition as he started to realise he could listen to my seat and leg aids rather than pressure in the mouth. I think I might try a rubber bit and see if that helps. I would try a german hackamore but I don't really want to spend the money on one when he will get his wolf tooth out in just over 1 month. The thought of struggling with him for a month though is depressing :confused:

Most horses dont need there wolf teeth removing, its a common misperseption that if there's a problem get rid of the wolf teeth, most can be filled down to blend in with the first molar, by a good dentist - My sister is an equine dentist and in the last yr has only advised the removal of wolf teeth on about 5 horses!
If they havnt been a problem, at backing at 3 - 3 1/2 or re-backing at 4, They normally dont need removing, just re-shaping / blending. It's generally not advised to remove wolf teeth after there 7th yr as the wolf tooth root is completly formed and is cemented to the first molar, so removing it, will damage the cementine layers of the tooth making the tooth structure weak, and it makes the chances of infection greater.

How is the bit fitted? How many wrinkles have you got in his lips when bitted? How much room is there between his lips and the cheek of the bit, both sides?
Does george have a fleshy mouth? big tongue?
Have you tried any other mouthpieces?

If George is still headshaking without a bit, it could be something else, have you had his saddle / back checked reciently?

Jill

newrider.com