Wobbly legs....? (The horse that is, not me!!) Mark II

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
OK, so we still have this going on. Its not every ride, and there doesnt seem to be a pattern to it.

It feels like the wobbly knees thing we get before we feint. A constant tremor - and is in her front legs. She did a lot of work (for her!!) this afternoon, but 10mins in (walk only work, lots of circles, changes of rein and halt transitions) was not puffing or sweaty she had wobbly legs. She then did a further 20minutes of walk and a tiny bit of trot (vv naughty in walk today!) before turning into a foot perfect LR pony :bounce: for an hour. She then went out for a leisurly hack for an hour - legs still tremoring - cant see her shake just feel it.

So three hours of work more or less, and no worse at the end than at the beginning... any ideas? Or what would you test etc?

She didnt stumble last time, this time maybe because she is due a trim (usually 6 weeks, but this time been 7)... but its like a shivver, she felt unsteady a couple of times but because she wasnt picking her feet up. Its just a constant, persistant tremor - I cant feel her do it when Im not on her... and its either there or not - like an annoying background noise - low level but still there and nagging at you.

I think it's going to be a one of those mysterious things that hopefully might just disappear as it came? Unless someone has had similar.

Defo speak to your vet though if it happens again as it could be something in her nervous system (this does affect the legs and causes a shivering when the horse lifts its legs up)

Hope she turns out all right either way!

I was worried originally that she had low sugar due to restriction, but she has had between them four slices of hay today as was really wet and they were shivvering.

Just puzzled by it!

Wondered if there was a deficiency they could have? Seeing as she is 99%grass free now (hay instead, and boy do I have a different pony! less itchy, less grumpy, much more happier and slimmer :D)

It could be a feed thing.

What vits is she getting?

I've been advised by my EP to put Maya on either Surelimb, top spec comp powder or a balancer like suregrow (she's fussy about powders and stuff). These have all the stuff in they need if just having plain grass or hay.

Maya is similar in your girly in that she's very lami prone, easily gets overweight and is on the bare min!

newrider.com