'Withy'?! Have you heard this before?

Hetfinch

Nov 26, 2001
Visit site
Dear all

I heard an expression today that I hadn't come across before. I was booking a lesson and asking for a horse that had been recommended to me (I haven't seen the horse). I was told that I should avoice it because it was 'withy' (that's what it sounded like anyway!). Is this something to do with the withers? The gal in question is a cob, so not sure how that relates.

Would love to know what it means!

Thanks

Heather
:)

The West Midlands Withy?

Hi Es

I'm in the West Mids - in fact, the Riding School that I was booking with is in Warwickshire and faces being demolished to make way for the new Rugby Airport (if the plans go ahead).

Maybe it is a regional thing - when I go for my lesson I shall ask her what it means!

Mebbe!

You could be right - mebbe I misheard her! Quite like Whizzy horses though, so perhaps I'll ask to ride him next time:)

Thanks

Heather

Um... interesting

Wally, now I'm sure to get confused! I'll be looking for the skinny, whizzy cob with no withers!

Actually, sounds quite attractive. I can't wait until next Sunday to find out, think I might take a drive over that way tomorrow and take a look!

Heather :)

If it's a cob the first is unlikely, the second possible and the third quite likely:D

In Yorkshire it's also the metal ring with a swivel attached, to which a cow chain is fastened in the stalls; the ring is attached to a post and moves up and down as the cow stands or lies.

I'd have thought it comes from the basket-making - a withy would be bendy, tough; maybe it's a bit like "wick", a bit sharp?

It would be nice to find out.

"Withy"

Nothing in Summerhays "Encyclopaedia for Horsemen". Unless they were referring to wrung or fistulous withers, both of which conditions would put the horse out of work.

Only other time I've come across "withy" is to describe a length of springy twig eg willow, used for weaving baskets, etc.

Could they have said the horse was a "weaver" - though why this should contra-indicate riding I have no idea

Does it come from the Withy Beds round the corner from my house where the willows are grown for weaving? As Sue said, this horse is clearly a basket case!

Given the time of year, does it mean this cob is under about 2ft of flood water? Could also mean that cattle are turned out with her to keep her cleaned up and tidy in the early summer.

Time to be sensible now so I'll leave it there.

bye!

Becoming clearer....

I spoke to somebody last night who has ridden Tara and she is, indeed, supposed to be quick and crafty - a bit of a terror!

newrider.com