Wip - a long one or short one?

scattynuttymare

Apr 4, 2008
In my own little world
Is it better to ride a youngster with a long or short wip? Was backed about six months ago and I didn't want to have to use a wip but I just need it to give me a bit of tactful back up. But I'm stuck between a long one or a short one? What have you guys experienced to be best?:)

I tend to use a schooling whip so that I don't have to take my hands off the reins if I need to use it but would use a shorter one if horse/pony was very scared of it. I like the horse to get used to a whip being carried as I prefer to have one when hacking out

A schooling whip is the ony thing of real use on a baby as it allows you to use your hands on the reins and still use it to back up your leg.

I cannot see the point of short ones, they can only be used harshly, no subtlety.

A schooling whip is the ony thing of real use on a baby as it allows you to use your hands on the reins and still use it to back up your leg.

I cannot see the point of short ones, they can only be used harshly, no subtlety.

I use both (not at the same time!). The long one is good, as you say, because you don't have to take your hands off the reins. But the short one is easy to manage and easy to change hands with. I hit my boot with it more often than the horse - horses respond to the noise and the movement.

newrider.com