winter - keep in work or turn away?

Winter plans for a youngster - what would you do?

• Turn away from October to February

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Keep in gentle work - 2/3 light hacks a week

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Increase workload - 2/3 hacks, some winter SJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Light hack him 1/2 times a month

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
poll for my friend to decide what to do with her gelding this winter...

4.5 year old, 17.2H warmblood type, is a poor doer through the winter, still has filling out to do but shouldnt really grow much in height anymore. He is a very well behaved youngster who has been to some local shows, SJ and fun rides this summer and hasnt fizzed up at all.

recent pics from end of August:

319411_10150772400010599_619900598_20634159_2210460_n.jpg

309426_10150770131735599_619900598_20611165_2131013_n.jpg

lots of people have given their opinions, shes not sure which to do....what you do?

Last edited:
He looks to me like he has a lot of growing into himself to do. I would personally turn him away but ensure he is well rugged and well fed so he can grow as he needs to.

All depends whether we get snowed in or the lane becomes impassable.. if that happens he does nothing as even the ménage becomes unusable at that point.. hence searching for better lodgings :wink:
But I'd give your friends horse a long holiday until next April and let him fill out a bit more, some horses develop late, especially in the head..

Last edited:
I would turn a big baby like that away for the winter if mentally he is still babyish, if he loves his work and is mentally mature I would hack him out as much as possible.

There is no rule with these things, it's very much down to the horse.

I must say he is very smart, with lovely white socks...does not even look that big either...

Looking at the length of those legs, he has quite some catching up to do with himself.

Difficult one really, when we used to break the ponies in years ago, we used to just keep going - well we were kids and just wanted to ride, ride, ride.

I think on balance, I would turn him away, he looks pretty adolescent really.

my 4.5 year old will be turned away for at least 3 months in winter! we have no lit school anyway so I could only ride at weekends - and have old pony to exercise. mucho easier turning the little one away, as well as giving her more growing up time :)

newrider.com