Winter grass livery

Midnight_Ashes

Apr 1, 2008
County Durham
The recent grass livery thread really got me thinking - a lot of people said it's less work. I find it really interesting and this thread is more of a pointless musing tbh!
I *hate* mud. My horses are stabled overnight from end of Sept/early Oct to end of April/May (weather/ground dependant). From about mid November to end of March mine don't go out at all unless the ground is frozen in which case they get an hour or so if the ground hasn't frozen all poached. Other than that they are ridden, lunged or loose schooled. The reason behind this is that I do not have time to deal with five muddy wet horses and stop them getting mud fever etc. Louise was living out when we got her and as soon as a stable became free, she came in. I had experience of my own winter grass livery for all of about three weeks but ohhh never again! The mud, the cold, the wet....definately not for me!!

You see I am the opposite. I really relate to what Flippos Mum said in my other thread that you have to totally embrace all aspects of horse ownership. I can't wait to get my wellies, raincoat and thermals on to trudge through the mud to my horse in the middle of winter. I love brushing off mud and making horses look fit to go into the show ring, just to turn them out in the mud again.

At my current RS, I see so many of the livery horses standing in their stables for hours on end. If I were a horse, I would much prefer to be in the field.

For me, looking after a horse is what I want to do - mud and all. Otherwise I would just stick to my current situation of RS lessons and sharing.

Tbh, MA, and not trying to cause a fight...just debate... its not about what's for 'me', its about what is best for my horses. Just because I don't like mud, does not mean my horses should live in for months.

Our horses prefer to live out which suits us. As our riding is limited over Winter they still get exercise. TBH the mud does not bother me though I could do without it. A decent pair of Wellies and turnout rugs sorts it!

Both were great escape artists when stabled. Jas would open the door- how she opened the kick bolt I never worked out. KIzzy just kicked the back out of her stable which made me very unpopular :banghead:

If I only had one, it would be different I suppose (and certainly always was when I only had one or two) but unfortunately I have to keep my horses to my convenience - otherwise they would suffer. As it is, they spend each winter mainly stabled, clipped and heavily rugged. They are fed two or three times a day (weight dependant) and have ad-lib hay or haylage. They stay clean and mud fever free, their boxes are on semi-deep litter (I take out the poo and the worst of the wet and add fresh bedding so they always stand on clean), their coats are healthy and their feet stay in good condition. My biggest enemy in winter is...well, I don't have one.
Last winter I let them out daily well into December and the result was all four of them developed thrush and mud fever (didn't have Louise then). Rocky got it so badly I had to get him anti biotics and they all went lame and looked miserable. This was despite me giving as much time as I had to it's prevention. Mid winter there coats were rubbish, getting rugs constantly cleaned/repaired/reproofed cost me a fortune and they came in with a new injury just about every day because they were all squabbling in the field, or splodging about in the poached bits of the gate because by lunchtime they wanted in. So this winter I am calling time on that - I won't put my horses through that again. They will go back to in and pampered - I would rather be down the yard until 9 o clock at night lungeing horses than down there til 9 dressing wounds and trying to find yet another spare rug.
I'm not saying that any way of keeping horses is wrong or right - IMO so long as the horse doesn't suffer you can do what you like with it - and I know many people will disagree with the way I have mine. However, anyone who's met them will, I am sure, vouch that they are happy and healthy, if a little pampered :wink:

I have to agree with Nat17 MA, and I appreciate that I don't know you, and I don't know your horses so each to their own but imo the more the horse is out, the more he will get used to it, and the less he will injure himself as he/ she probably will be happier. Mud is all part and parcel of horse ownership, they don't care about it, I just pig oil every eight weeks and have no problems.
My horse takes next to nothing to care for in the winter but I appreciate he is built for it, he's not a finely bred tb. Each to their own I guess, the horse just has to adapt to how we keep them, and they do it very well. I guess I have a biased view probably, I think of horses shivering away bored in a stable all day, rugged up to their eyeballs to compensate for standing still for 23 hours and compare to my boy sauntering about, free to see whats coming and going, keeping warm wandering around. I know what I prefer.

I used to have to keep Angel stabled 24/7 for large parts of the winter for a variety of reasons (but mostly because she kept getting lami even if only out for a few hours). I hated myself for doing it but had no choice at the time.

For the past two and a half years, she's been living out again (yay!). Luckily, we're on chalk so it's not horrible mudd up the (hillside) field. The mud does collect at the bottom though, which can be interesting!

In terms of time spent, it takes me longer to do the ponies living out than it did mucking out! 10 mins to call them in. 30 mins at least to allow them to eat a slice of hay in the evening, another 10 to give feeds, another 5 to turf them out again ....

mucking out used to take me 10 mins tops!!

re: mudfever - angel gets this as well, but i keep it at bay with pig oil and sulphur. I found that the more mudfever us tampered with (eg constantly washed/scrubbed/dried/bandaged/picked etc) the worse it seems to become.

Julia
x

Think it is horses for courses - no pun intended!

I like mine in at night and out from 6.30 in the morning til 6 at night. Ours wait to come in at night in the winter by the gate very impatiently. We did leave them out 24.7 til about November last year, but everything was frozen including the grass and I felt mean. Friend however hates mucking out. Shall get them in October this year I think

I keep my 3 at home so I can do as I please.

Last winter I decided to keep them out (unless hammering down with rain, but we hardly got any).

Even my TB type was fine out. They were in the paddocks when it was hard enough or in their sand school when too wet.

My TB doesn't enjoy rain or mud and fence walks to come in, but as last winter wasn't too wet and we had snow etc he didn't mind staying out, he likes the snow, but at least I have my stables if I need them.

I don't have too much natural shelter and no field shelters, so I just bring them in when I feel they need it.

My cob would rather be out. He kicks the stable door down if left in :bounce:

I must admit the thought of all that mud in the winter would terrify me (mud fever). I like the idea of their hooves and legs being able to dry out overnight.

Personally i like mine out all the time with the odd day or night in there stables for a rest.
Although mine are native types and can happilly cope without rugs etc all winter.

I plan to bring them in a couple of nights a week this winter for a nice warm sleep but nothing more. Neither of them like being stabled for more than 8hours. Finn got extremley bolshy last winter when kept in every night, he just hated it.

Last winter i got called cruel for letting Finn out because 'it snowed' no-one else at that yard let theres out & IMO they were the cruel ones!
Its only a bit of bad weather and they are built to cope!

I actually prefer mine to come in for the day in summer when its hot & the flies are mithering them. Thats when i do feel really bad for them.
The cold or wet doesnt make me feel bad for them at all, aslong as they have some shelter & lots to eat then they are happy chappies.

I think its just what suits you & your horses best, i never critise anyone for the way they keep there horses. Every yard i have been at has always made comments on my 'way of keeping' & i find it very rude so wouldnt like to do it back to anyone! :)

Aslong as they are happy & Healthy thats all that matters :happy:

The year before last when I had india she stayed out all winter, we didn't have a stable and it was a bit of a nightmare but we managed (rag the car up to the yard then sit on the hot bonnet waiting for her to eat her tea saved cold bums and legs!!) but we had a yard and a stable to shelter in - ok it wasn't hers and was occupied but i could hide in it!! We also ha lots of hard standing which was good!

Last year we moved in November as we were losing our grazing anyway, but the day I came down and found June with her hip out knee high (literally!) in clay stuck was the day I said enough and moved them. They were miserable and didn't want to stay out.

We moved to where we are now and jazz was still a colt so we were sent to the back field. The mud was terrible there and we put planks down to walk across after I fell in a hole while Rob was mucking out and was up to my thighs in mud and totally stuck - for 45 mins until he wandered to save me
(imagine stuck penguin flapping frantically!!)

They stayed in for a month while the snow melted and ground dried a bit, and then they moved fields and jazz was gelded.

If I kept them in a stable each they would have both lost their minds! Both would have been a total nightmare and in the winter with them both being young I would have been pushed to lunge etc. I love my pen, even though June now has a stable I have kept the pen as it's huge.

The days they don't go out they will both be in the pen!

Horses for courses imo and there are pros and cons to both.

I wouldnt like 24/7 grass livery any time of the year because I would always want access to a stable. In an ideal world i'd stable over night and leave out during the day all year round in a consistent routine but unfortunately my yard which is fabulous doesnt have grazing over winter.

My horse gets stressed and box walks if he sees all the other horses going out if he and he has to be kept in for a particular reason but he was fine over winter because all the others were in too so I can only conclude that being with the other horses and having a consistant routine is more important to his general happiness then having daily turn out if a compromise has to be made.

But that is just him and every horse is different. If I felt he was stressed or if he was constantly trying to escape or was bouncing out of the stable every time I opend the door I would review the situation without a question.

Personally i like mine out all the time with the odd day or night in there stables for a rest.
Although mine are native types and can happilly cope without rugs etc all winter.

I plan to bring them in a couple of nights a week this winter for a nice warm sleep but nothing more. Neither of them like being stabled for more than 8hours. Finn got extremley bolshy last winter when kept in every night, he just hated it.

Last winter i got called cruel for letting Finn out because 'it snowed' no-one else at that yard let theres out & IMO they were the cruel ones!
Its only a bit of bad weather and they are built to cope!

I actually prefer mine to come in for the day in summer when its hot & the flies are mithering them. Thats when i do feel really bad for them.
The cold or wet doesnt make me feel bad for them at all, aslong as they have some shelter & lots to eat then they are happy chappies.

I think its just what suits you & your horses best, i never critise anyone for the way they keep there horses. Every yard i have been at has always made comments on my 'way of keeping' & i find it very rude so wouldnt like to do it back to anyone! :)

Aslong as they are happy & Healthy thats all that matters :happy:

Even Victory loves the snow and cold weather. He just hates being wet so as long as they have rugs to suit then all is fine.

I hate seeing horses stuck in.

One of my pet hates is horse being 'hot housed'......sorry if that is your routine but to me it is the worst possible way to keep horses whatever their breeding, age etc.

A correctly fed, wormed and rugged Tb (yes, even a TB! shock horror!)is mentally and physically far better off out in a herd environment with natural shelter available than imprisoned 23 out of 24 hours a day. They are also less prone to colic, injury, coughs, colds and the myriad of other horsey ailments.

I do appreciate that if a horse has been hot housed for some years, then slinging it out in a field in the depths of winter will probably lead to some sort of ailment or injury, but IMHO this is usually caused by our previous interference in their natural ability to adapt to terrain, environment and variable weather.

I do have stabling, and if a horse or donkey was to be very ill or badly injured then of course they would come in - but only under those circumstances.

I do not keep horses to fit in with how best I can manage them for my own personal agenda. I keep them and alter my agenda accordingly to allow them to live as naturally and near to a natural environment as I can possibly manage. If my only option to owning a horse or donkey was to keep it in 24/7 throughout the winter or summer then I would not be allowing myself the luxury and pleasure of owning them.

Sorry but this is a discussion, so not criticising how any of you might keep your horses, just my personal belief and preference.:smoke:

I'm another for the out as much as possible. This isn't a dig MA but there is no way I could keep a horse in for that amount of time without them being able to be in a field each day for at least 12 hours.
This is why turn out 365 days of the year is a MUST for me and any horse I ever own, I don't like them stabled for long periods personally and the mud in winter (having a cob with feathers I know about mud !$"£!$) I just embrace it, it comes part and parcel as part of having a horse on grass livery, both boys live out in a herd, the paddock has ample shelter from high hedges and trees, we do have a stable but that is only for emergencies or if the weather is REALLY bad, the older one comes in for the night but even so when he is in, he's only in for 8 hours. OH brings him in late and night and he gets turfed out at about 5am. It's better for the older horse as it keeps them moving and standing in a box will only cause him to get stiff from standing in all that time. I'm not convinced it's the best thing either for respiratorally (sp?) for them. So many horses on yards I have been on over the years develop coughs over the winter from being in for long periods.

Horses for courses, but mine will always live out. If for whatever reason my yard closes or I have to move, grass livery is so scarce where I am I would move to a DIY with stable, but it would have to be one that I can turn them out every day. Both have survived the last two horrendous winters we have had living out. Provided the other one has a warm enough rug on him (they have adlib hay in the field to help keen them warm as well) they do well from it.

Last edited:
I do not keep horses to fit in with how best I can manage them for my own personal agenda. I keep them and alter my agenda accordingly to allow them to live as naturally and near to a natural environment as I can possibly manage. If my only option to owning a horse or donkey was to keep it in 24/7 throughout the winter or summer then I would not be allowing myself the luxury and pleasure of owning them.

Exactly :biggrin:

Some very good points raised here by everyone, I do like a good debate :playfull:

Perhaps if my circumstances were different, I would think differently and keep my horses differently. In an ideal world I would have a big barn for them to live in or each would have a huge indoor pen (I envy you Dannii - I would love one of those pens for each of my lot!). Perhaps if I had acres of well-drained, well sheltered fields on good soil it would be different. But I don't. I have post and rail paddocks on clay soil that turn to claggy mud at the first heavy fall of rain. Or perhaps if my horses didn't have the problems that they do - I have two with arthritis that are a thousand times worse if out because of trying to walk through the deep clay, Truffles' tiny feet mean he just sinks and it's too deep for him to get any kind of leverage to get back out, so getting past the gateway is trouble enough for him! Alfie could probably cope the best of the lot, but I can't afford to be missing qualifiers etc. because he's lame with mud fever.
As for the pig oil/sulphur thing - I have never personally used it but a friend used to put it on her horse and while it seemed to do the trick it looked, and smelt, disgusting. Not really ideal for the competition horse (unless she was doing it wrong, but her horse's legs looked all claggy and greasy).
It's not my only option to keep them, but it's the one that works best for all of us. In previous years, even before arthritis took hold and I was on a yard on better soil, Stevie would never stay out. I would put him in the field, go and muck out etc and go and check on him an hour later and he'd be exactly where I left him, looking miserable. He's hunted all his life - he thinks summers are for eating grass and getting fat and Autumn through until Spring is for being in, fit, clipped and working. Now he is retired he thinks all year is for getting fat :rolleyes: but winters are still for being in. He's got to 18 and he's doing ok by this method, I'm not about to force him to stay out. When I first got him I did try leaving him out into October once after the other "finer types" were in and only the native ones were out (fed daily and rugged suitably) but he disagreed, and after him gallopping up and down his fence line before finally jumping the post and rail fence three days in a row, I relented and in he came.
Rocky's arthritis just won't hold up to knee deep clay soil, plain and simple. He's in, he's warm, he's happy. Yes, he doesn't get to move about much but he's booted up and on a joint supplement so he doesn't really stiffen up. The weight falls off him almost overnight at the slightest stress or change in weather, and he can't cope being out in wind (I've owned him since he was five and this has never changed, regardless of what yard we've been on or anythign else) so again, he's happier in.
Alfie comes in because the pampered competition horse has to stay warm, clean and clipped. Also, what happens with one of the big ones tends to happen with the others (Alf and Rocky are joined at the hip) so he comes in with the others. Again, he seems perfectly happy to me and only looks miserable when I put him out.
Truffles is just pathetic, and would quite happily live in 24/7 I think. I honestly don't think he realises he is a horse - he didn't really get to interact with other horses until I got him, I don't think, and he would rather be with people or on his own. He seems to like nothing more than "duvet days" with a deep straw bed to snooze on. In Truffs' ideal world, he'd be a dog. :tongue: :rolleyes:
Last winter they went out in the paddock on the "nicer" days while I mucked out, and they spent the entire time standing at the gate shouting until I brought them in. However when I turned them loose in the school they would have a good gallop about and buck and roll, have a daft half an hour then mooch back over to the gate. If turning loose wasn't an option I "lunge" in just a headcollar and lunge line. They have all learned over time that this means play time and they can do what they like on the end of the line. When tack is on, it's work time, but just a headcollar means we're just stretching legs so buck and twist if you want.
Louise wintered out last winter because there wasn't a stable available for her, the year before she was in and, as for most of the yard, spent most of her time in her stable. When we got her in January, you all saw the state of her and she was well rugged, had ad-lib haylage and plenty of unpoached field and natural shelter. She had a few friends out there with her and yes, everyone survived the winter. A stable became available in mid February and we brought Louise in, she was in for about 6 weeks when a yearling that was living out took ill, so I turfed Lou back out and foalie had her box. She survived the winter, as did everything else that was living out. But you all saw the state of her - grubby, hairy and generally scruffy looking...not really the kind of thing you'd want to take away from home to a show. This winter she will be one of the last to come in I imagine, she is currently happy out though she is ready to come in for a feed most days (she is muzzled, to be fair!). Once in she will be clipped and rugged and will work and compete all winter.
I've sort of waffled on a bit here, rather pointlessly, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that the arrangement has to suit horse and owner. We say we try to keep them as naturally as possible - I, for one, feed as fibre based a diet as possible, feed ad-lib forage, go barefoot if possible and I believe in classical training based on common sense and listening to the horse. However, we have to draw a line - yes, horses were designed to live outside, but on acres and acres of grassland that they could wander freely at will and seek natural shelter and eat a variety of grasses, not to have access to a manicured post and rail paddock. They weren't designed to carry a rider, be handled by a human, have a bit in their mouths or any of the other things we ask of them.
To keep them as nature truly intended, we would have to not keep them at all.

I'm not judging anyone and the care of their own horses but sometimes I do have to work hard to keep my trap shut. I actually moved Roo to a new yard because I wanted to turn him out and no other gelding was out because it was raining! When I asked one girl if she was putting her boy out the 100% TRUE reply she gave me was "Oh no - he might get dirty!"

At my current yard Jack is on DIY livery which means he has a stable but the two babies are on grass livery only. This will be my first winter at this place and to all intents and purposes I hope all three will live out, rug-free. As they are all natives, I'm a firm believer in nature providing what is needed in terms of coat growth. Having said that, I'm not cruel and as it will be our first winter with them, if I see that either Jack or Arthur are beginning to suffer, they will obviously be rugged. Mud is a part of winter, it ain't pretty but mine are also shoeless so I don't have to worry about anything being sucked off and I hope that the gateway won't get that bad anyway.... but we'll see. I have the great bonus of only working part-time so I don't have to do visits in the dark... and for that I AM truly grateful these days.....

newrider.com