Winter boots for riding...advice please!

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
I know there have been many posts on winter boots in various different forms (I know, I trawled through them all trying to find an answer! :giggle:) but unfortunately they dont really fit my circumstances.

I have really bad circulation (think yellow hands and feet, blue lips, complete numbness...I have even broken a bone in my finger before because it was completely numb!) and they are already starting to go numb whilst riding in my johdpur boots, half chaps and two pairs of socks. Can anyone recommend any good boots I can get that will keep my feet toasty? As I go to a riding school for my horsey fix, I dont really do any yard work (though am hoping to help out once I get to know everyone at the school a bit better and get some horse management experience), so it's important that they are ones I can ride in safely.

I like the look (and price) of the woof wear long boots, does anyone know if they are any good, and more importantly if my RI will let me ride in them?

I bought the Derby House Thermalex Boots a few years ago, infact, I have a couple of pairs.

One pair has been thro' a FLOOD with me and my car, lol, but have lived
to tell the tale and the other pair coped with Snow, Ice, Rain and Mud.

I think they are fabulous for the Money, I have never had cold feet in them, other than the 'FLOOD' day. They seem to have gone up rather a lot
in price from when I bought mine, but still good value for money:biggrin: They come up rather 'large' size wise, so plenty of room for
fleece welly warmer type socks if you need them. I also bought a Friend a pair for Christmas and we have both ridden in them.

I mistakenly bought some muck boots for riding in - they are comfy and warm but rather like wearing clogs in the saddle!lol. I would advise you on the Mountain Horse High riders - they are leather (but if you don't do much yard work and can keep them clean that won't matter) and they come in lots of different sizes.

I have the derby house own brand thermal boots. They were not as good quality as I thought they would be but they did keep my feet warm in -20 in Bulgaria. I love them.
edited to add
they are only for yard work and not for riding in.
a few friends have muck boots which are for everything.

Last edited:
I bought the Woof Wear short boots last year and they just barely fit in the RS stirrups but are fleece lined and roomy enough for massive socks. A friend has recommended her tall Ariat field boots as incredibly snug (also £200+ but worth it she reckons). I need to buy some proper thermal socks for this year, rather than walking so

I also have (courtesy of thoughtful OH) little warm gel pads - the ones with the little metal desc that you click - that fit inside my WW boots on top of my feet. Although they're not the most comfortable things because the gel hardens as it warms, they keep the chill off brilliantly for about half an hour.

Thin multiple layers are the key. I have a similiar problem and I've found wrapping a thin layer of bandages around my feet, then with thermal socks combined with thermal boots keep my toes nice and toasty.

I have just bought a lovely pair of Mark Todd long leather riding boots, they have a furry lining but, the best thing I've found are the little sachets you can buy from ski/outdoor shops that you shake to activate, bought some off ebay last year (alot cheaper than shop price) and they really do keep your feet toasty!

i have a pair of Mountain Horse Free Rider jod boots and they are excellent. They saw me through last winters subzero temperatures and are really comfy. They are also completely waterproof, i hosed my down this morning whilst wearing them and didnt even feel any coldness in the boot.

I bought Dublin Pinnacles this year. So far they are doing very well, they have multiple layers of lining and I find with a pair of thick socks my feet are too hot! Mind you I am a warm soul

Well, I liked the look of the Mountain Horse Rimfrost Riders, but I couldnt really justify the price, I was going to just grin and bear the cold and see if I could maybe get them cheaper after Christmas :cold: ....until I found a pair on Amazon :bounce:!!! I got a £40 voucher a few months ago when I bought my new phone, so essentially just got the boots for £50 instead of £90!

Soooo happy! Can't wait for warm toes and cosyness! Slightly concerned that they wont be snug around my pathetic non-existant calves, but ah well, I'm going to have that problem with any long boot.

Fingers crossed they fit :dance:

newrider.com