Winter Blanket Help

Drm2Go

Dreamin' with Sugar
Aug 1, 2005
California, USA
I know someone just posted a question similar to this but I thought I might seek some help as well. For the first time I am buying a winter blanket for my horse and I am confused. I have purchased a medium weight Saxon horse blanket. It is waterproof and breathable and has a medium weight lining in it. It has 180 grams of polyfill. Where I live in California it can get blistering hot in the summer and pretty darn cold in the winter. It will freeze at night but we do not get snow (ever) unless in the mountains. Sometimes during the winter during the day it can get fairly nice outside. I would have to say that it never (very rarely if ever) gets to single degree temperatures unless in the high mountains. So, compared to most of you guys, it is quite warm here. Do you all think this would be okay for my baby. Any thoughts!! :)

It also depends on your type of horse, whether it looses weight over the winter monthes etc. Do you clip your horse out at all?
We have two cobby type horses and live in South East of England, which is quite clement as whether goes in England (warmer than most of other places), but our our native breeds, very hardy and do not loose weight easily. They do have good coats during the winter monthes as well. For most of the winter they are only out for about 5 hours a day and then we put summer weight turnouts on them (just the same as yours, but without any warm lining). If it gets really cold then we put on slightly warmer ones. This just means we can bring them in and ride and they are dry enough. Otherwise I would leave ours unrugged as much as possible.
Certainly sounds as though you are geared up for cold snaps, but need to see how your horse goes, may need it on some days and others leave it off, need to keep eye on weather forcasts.
Sorry cannot be of much more use. Breathable is good as well.

*Bump*

Any more feedback would be great. This is the blanket I got, keep in mind I live in San Juaquoin Valley of California and like I posted, it does not get any colder than the 20's (farenheit) here, and that is during the night.

Medium Weight Saxon Turnout Blanket (from Countrysupply.com) *great place if anyone wants good wholesale products* :)

• Waterproof & Breathable! • 600D Ripstop Outer Shell! • Polycotton lining with 180 gram polyfill! This unbeatable buy in a quality blanket features twin chest straps, low cross surcingles, and adjustable leg straps. Expert tailoring throughout with Nylon shoulder panels, fleece wither protector, action gussets, and tail flap.

saxon.jpg

I have Saxon rugs on both my horses and am really thrilled with them, they do not move and the horses have stayed warm and dry all winter. We get the occasional frost here and lots of rain in winter. Both horses have wintered really well.

newrider.com