windows 8

candyflosspot

bossy boots
Sep 7, 2010
Sheffield
what a pile of rubbish this new operating system is..I have bought a new laptop (after spilling wine on the last one nearly a year ago :redcarded:) and it has windows 8 installed.
I would describe myself as computer savvy, and can find my way around most pc's but this is really confusing :frown:. Not impressed.com

It takes some getting used to but it's alright once you've got the hang of it. I don't use the "app" page much, that's better for touch screens and a bit pointless on my laptop! I keep it on the desktop view and pin the programs I use most to the bar at the bottom so it's easily accessible.

It takes some getting used to but it's alright once you've got the hang of it. I don't use the "app" page much, that's better for touch screens and a bit pointless on my laptop! I keep it on the desktop view and pin the programs I use most to the bar at the bottom so it's easily accessible.

How do you do that please? :redface:

ummmmm :unsure:

I will have to have a look tonight! :giggle: I think if you go to the program you want in your program list, right click, you can select "pin to taskbar"

The little windows symbol on the keyboard takes you to the desktop (i think) or if you hover in the top left corner you can click on the little window that appears which takes you to the desktop.

I'm still finding things I can do with it, I just play around and see what happens! If it goes wrong I turn it off and on again :giggle: Although at first it took me ages to figure out how to shut it down!!

ummmmm :unsure:

I will have to have a look tonight! :giggle: I think if you go to the program you want in your program list, right click, you can select "pin to taskbar"

The little windows symbol on the keyboard takes you to the desktop (i think) or if you hover in the top left corner you can click on the little window that appears which takes you to the desktop.

I'm still finding things I can do with it, I just play around and see what happens! If it goes wrong I turn it off and on again :giggle: Although at first it took me ages to figure out how to shut it down!!

Thank you. I will be having a play around with mine later. It took me 15 minutes to work out how to shut it down..:mask:

I too hate it with a passion and only ever use it as 'desktop' if I remember rightly there is an 'app' on the screen for desktop but I don't remember how I get it to stay there, ah maybe it's because I never switch it off.
The photo thing really bugs me too, I still haven't got the hang of that.
In fact I use an old Dell at work (my own) with Windows XP on it and I tend to use that for all my photo's now just because it's easier to use.
I think windows should have stuck to my motto 'if it aint broke don't fix it'

I bought a new laptop this time last year and was warned off getting anything with Windows 8 cos it was so rubbish! Got Windows 7 on mine which is complicated enough as it is!

I bought a new laptop this time last year and was warned off getting anything with Windows 8 cos it was so rubbish! Got Windows 7 on mine which is complicated enough as it is!

I like windows 7 - though that also took some getting used too. It is at least similar to what I am used too. Windows 8 is a completely different ball game.

Agree 100%, definitely seems designed for touch-screens. I too keep it on Desktop view and pin programs.
Apart from that....I pretty much hated it to start with, but am getting used to it. Slowly. ;)

I stayed with an old friend who had just got Windows 8, managed to find a window that she could cope with but couldn't work out how to get that as home page. Looking after this computer carefully as I can cope!!

I liked XP more than anything else but possibly because I started with cpm which was simple basic programming and XP was the last Windows that let you resort to this!

newrider.com