Will the world be antisocial, lets chat

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Just pondering on a Sunday. But with the lockdown totally isolating us in the early days, the amount we still avoid each other, it's being cleverly worded as socially distanced.
But I always renamed it socially damaging. To my mind that's going to have a longer impact on us than the virus.

It is I think creating people that are avoiding others to the extent they are becoming introverted. Some of us were that already :) But I just wonder if the world can function with a big switch?

No face to face appointments, awesome or awful depending on the type of person you are, or were? Are doctors appointments going to miss things if they don't see you.
The vet doesn't always need to see the horse, but as a rule hands on is needed.
But remember a fair few of us don't want to see the doctor /hospital anymore. So we put things off /avoid. It's these people that we should seeing! These people will fall through the net.

Who remembers the name of the film with Tom Hanks on an island and what no contact did. He started talking to a ball I believe. Random add on there.

Over to you, whatever you think, feel, just add it.

Reactions: Kite_Rider

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
I wouldn't go as far as to say anti social, but I certainly think it will be a long time, if ever, before some people are happy with close contact and crowds. I know crowds and busy places have always made me very uneasy and looking for an escape but now I would struggle to cope at all and would certainly avoid where possible and I cannot believe I'm alone in that.

Some people seem relatively unaffected by it though, so maybe they'll be the ones that gradually drag us back to a more normal society if the threat from the virus is ever reduced by vaccines and effective treatment. I do think the longer it takes to get vaccines and treatment the greater the long term impact on social behaviour will be.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Yes I remember the Tom Hanks film. Wilson I think the ball was called. Oddly enough it was my least favourite Hanks film! I also called a stuffed carpet I made for Storm for her share of the byre when she kept kicking the wall Wilson lol (she kicked the tap off the wall in a temper so we decided she needed a bigger stable away from Zi!). I named it Wilson and just stopped short of drawing a face on it!
I have never been interested in big crowds or gatherings anyway. Before the virus I only had contact with maybe two people every week outside of my house. I miss the once every two months visit to town - used to enjoy having a snoop and a browse. I have missed the village show because it was cancelled - that was a once year trip I looked forward to. As for doctors appointments, well I actually think doing them via a video link is going to be helpful for some people. There are many embarrassing problems that you don't always feel comfortable sharing with a healthcare professional in real life, yet somehow it may well be easier to explain via a video call or a phone call (no, I'm not saying showing your morags on zoom works either lol!). I will be jolly glad though when our dentist can operate properly and normally again as in the full range of procedures and me not having to worry about catching the virus. Because no matter what anyone says, precautions / masks / etc etc it's still out there, so it will always be a worry getting up close and personal in that sense.
The whole new normal thing only affects me slightly, because as I've already said - I wasn't keen on social contact before so things haven't really affected me or my brain (I've been semi reclusive for a long time and that's my choice - I don't need "help" lol I just prefer keeping to myself). I wouldn't be living where I do if I craved company and a huge social life.
For other people I can see it's impact could be negative. The worry over having to go out shopping etc and those having to return to places of work must be exhausting. I thank my lucky stars I work from home and that I have the choices I do. I must be in a tiny percentage of people fortunate enough not to have had that big a lifestyle change because of the virus.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I wouldn't go as far as to say anti social, but I certainly think it will be a long time, if ever, before some people are happy with close contact and crowds. I know crowds and busy places have always made me very uneasy and looking for an escape but now I would struggle to cope at all and would certainly avoid where possible and I cannot believe I'm alone in that.

Some people seem relatively unaffected by it though, so maybe they'll be the ones that gradually drag us back to a more normal society if the threat from the virus is ever reduced by vaccines and effective treatment. I do think the longer it takes to get vaccines and treatment the greater the long term impact on social behaviour will be.
Agree with all of this carthorse.

It’s tough really, for me personally it’s one of those horrible situations where as people start going out more and mixing with others more it makes me less inclined to want to see them, I’ve still not seen my eldest daughter and this weekend her in laws are visiting, from Scotland, so I’m thinking well what if they brought it with them or picked it up at motorway services on route, I won’t go and see her now until they have been home for a week or so, but then she might meet a work colleague or a friend etc and it puts me off seeing her all over again, so yes it’s kind of making me a little bit paranoid and I don’t much like it, but, where do you turn around and say ok I’ll chance it this once and wait for the next week to pass hoping I get no symptoms? It really does feel like going out and meeting anyone is a bit like playing Russian roulette! Same if I go and see my youngest, she works in a care home and now they are starting to allow visitors it’s the same scenario. ?

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Initially i noticed people were being more social. From the point that as you passed them out for there daily exercise theyd say hi. I think as it was the only person you were likely to see that day perhaps. Now people just walk past and dont speak. Back to the old ways.

• Sad

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Just to add, yes @newforest I am one of those avoiders, I’ll take extra precautions to give anyone I meet a wide berth, I’m sure no one will be offended if I don’t run up and hug them either. It’s definitely affected my mental health though, I worry a lot about how other people feel, my mum in law for one, her only child won’t go within six feet of her because he’s wanting to protect me (she has neighbours in and out every day along with Carers a cleaner, gardener and every other Tom dick and Harry) and I feel like she kind of blames me for it, which is difficult to deal with to be honest, she actually said last time I spoke to her how it was breaking her heart not being able to hug her son and surely it wouldn’t be a problem now because I don’t have to shield anymore anyway.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Socially distant (((hugs))) @Kite_Rider .

I find it worrying that as things like shielding have been taken away so many people think the dangers have gone, realistically nothing has changed except safety nets have been removed.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Socially distant (((hugs))) @Kite_Rider .

I find it worrying that as things like shielding have been taken away so many people think the dangers have gone, realistically nothing has changed except safety nets have been removed.
Thank you carthorse, sorry if I came across as winey and I really appreciate the socially distant hugs ?

Reactions: Trewsers

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
I was guilty of nearly forgetting to socially distance in the very beginning. A couple of times at the yard I'd go to plonk myself down beside a fellow livery sitting on a heston of hay or lean in too close to show them a picture on my phone... Oops ? But these days, if someone invades my personal space I actually feel enraged. I was unloading my shopping trolley onto the checkout conveyor at Aldi last week when someone impatient squeezed past me to briefly reach for something on the racks and whilst I quickly moved out of her way, I was also seething at her complete lack of concern for my personal space! I held my tongue rather than causing a scene (we were both masked too, of course!)

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
Just to add, yes @newforest I am one of those avoiders, I’ll take extra precautions to give anyone I meet a wide berth, I’m sure no one will be offended if I don’t run up and hug them either. It’s definitely affected my mental health though, I worry a lot about how other people feel, my mum in law for one, her only child won’t go within six feet of her because he’s wanting to protect me (she has neighbours in and out every day along with Carers a cleaner, gardener and every other Tom dick and Harry) and I feel like she kind of blames me for it, which is difficult to deal with to be honest, she actually said last time I spoke to her how it was breaking her heart not being able to hug her son and surely it wouldn’t be a problem now because I don’t have to shield anymore anyway.

That's selfish of her saying that - very mean to emotionally put you on the spot too. I would have probably said something snippy to her!!! I am eternally grateful that my MIL is nowhere near. By now she'd have tried every trick in her book to emotionally blackmail OH into getting up close and personal - despite the risk to his own health. I'd have had to put my foot down and if that sounds selfish - tough titty! This virus has made me unafraid to be blunt if need be.

Ale

Feb 8, 2012
So this might not really be at all relevant and I'm not judging the family at all. But there was a little boy at the supermarket the other day. He was tiny, maybe 4. Wearing a mask. But then mum was filling the trolley with all crips, sweets, chocolate, no fruit or veg. I just happened to be behind them and I'm trying not to judge them at all. I think it's just interesting because there are loads of other diseases out there that kill so many, more needs to be done for all of them really. I understand you can't catch cardiovascular disease as such so I so understand why covid is a priority but still.

Anyway back more on topic. We had an elderly lady become disoriented at work and she fell quite badly in the car park. I wasn't there but I had to secure the CCTV footage. When watching it I thought why won't anyone go near this poor lady. But then I realised it's the covid risk. After a while an off duty nurse went straight up to her and started carrying out first aid.

Would you help a complete stranger and potentially put yourself at risk?

But then again do we actually know anything about this virus yet, can it spread miles and live outside the body for ages in which case you can stay 2m away from everyone but still get it anyway. I do think it's likely the weather is keeping cases down.

I'm not a particular fan of saying hi to people I walk past, I find it quite pressuring. I don't really like chit chat with strangers. But if I fall off my bike I like to think someone would stop and help. (Which experience tells me they often don't)

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I don't like the way the government are allegedly going to be tackling the virus this autumn. We're back into fat shaming and apparently being fifty and fat - well, may as well just blame those who are and if you do catch the virus, it's basically your own fault if you make a poor recovery :mad: :mad: (and no, I am not fat!!! but I feel quite strongly about people who may well be overweight due to a condition either mentally or physically)

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
So this might not really be at all relevant and I'm not judging the family at all. But there was a little boy at the supermarket the other day. He was tiny, maybe 4. Wearing a mask. But then mum was filling the trolley with all crips, sweets, chocolate, no fruit or veg. I just happened to be behind them and I'm trying not to judge them at all. I think it's just interesting because there are loads of other diseases out there that kill so many, more needs to be done for all of them really. I understand you can't catch cardiovascular disease as such so I so understand why covid is a priority but still.

Anyway back more on topic. We had an elderly lady become disoriented at work and she fell quite badly in the car park. I wasn't there but I had to secure the CCTV footage. When watching it I thought why won't anyone go near this poor lady. But then I realised it's the covid risk. After a while an off duty nurse went straight up to her and started carrying out first aid.

Would you help a complete stranger and potentially put yourself at risk?

But then again do we actually know anything about this virus yet, can it spread miles and live outside the body for ages in which case you can stay 2m away from everyone but still get it anyway. I do think it's likely the weather is keeping cases down.

I'm not a particular fan of saying hi to people I walk past, I find it quite pressuring. I don't really like chit chat with strangers. But if I fall off my bike I like to think someone would stop and help. (Which experience tells me they often don't)

I don't think (and don't judge or shoot me please!) I'd be wary of going to help someone - this virus has truly frightened me. Mr T is at risk and hell, according to the government now, being fifty I am at risk (they are talking about making us all shield this autumn) well I'd really rather not help them and put myself at risk or Mr T. Horrible to admit, but there you go. Not saying I'd look the other way - but I'd be reluctant to administer first aid. Sorry if that sounds crummy.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
@Ale that's an interesting one. I think that if someone was injured then yes, as long as I could take reasonable precautions I would help. So I would try to avoid being face to face and if that really couldn't be helped I'd ask them to turn their face away or put on a mask, and if they were bleeding I'd use disposable latex gloves. But yes I would help if no one else was, and then probably worry myself silly afterwards!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I am not a social person, I wasn't before the lockdown. I didn't do group social things before, and when BJ said we could meet up to six people, I wasn't sure I even knew six people! But there must be people for whom mixing had been very hard or is still being very hard?
I am missing meeting a friend for lunch though and neither of us are rushing it until the tourists have gone, but, reading the above nobody else is risking it either.

People here are still smiling and saying hello if you pass, they were before lockdown.
We've been through the crossing over the road, looking away stage, covering their faces when they pass. Or should I say I have because not everyone went for a walk everyday. So I have done the eerie horror movie set to the here.
We are at the stepping into the road, smiling, hello stage. Or simply passing on the same pavement because you do in town now and I think it depends if there is space to step out, and it's not considered close contact.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
@Ale that's an interesting one. I think that if someone was injured then yes, as long as I could take reasonable precautions I would help. So I would try to avoid being face to face and if that really couldn't be helped I'd ask them to turn their face away or put on a mask, and if they were bleeding I'd use disposable latex gloves. But yes I would help if no one else was, and then probably worry myself silly afterwards!

I think if they were injured to the tune of bleeding I'd probably ring an ambulance. I haven't done my St John's First aid certificate since 1986? And I'm wimpy about blood anyway?