Wide Base Stirrups

KarenMcD

Apr 1, 2005
Musselburgh, Scotland
has anyone had any experience of Heather Moffat's wide base stirrups with the slanted tread? I'm having trouble getting the weight into my heel at canter and was wondering if they might help me? Any views would be much appreciated.

Karen

Heather Moffet's stirrups are very similar to the Icelandic ones. They are great for giving you a feeling of stabiliy, but I find them restrictive and a bit cumbersome. I only have size 4 feet so they perhaps do feel overly clumsy to me.(The Icelandic ones not HM's)

I ride in safety stirrups, the ones with a hinge half way down and I find them very helpful to both my riding position and my stability in the saddle.

Hi :)

I have the wide tread stirrups featured on Heather's website and love them (I have size 4.5 feet btw :D ).

I find them very comfortable and very stable. I also love that they hang at 90 degrees to 'normal' stirrups, it really helps to keep my toes from poking out. I find it very difficult to ride, and especially jump, with 'regular' stirrups now.

A friend borrowed them because she was having trouble keeping her feet in the stirrups at canter and found that they helped though they shouldn't be used to hide the problem, you still need to work on relaxing your leg and your seat :D

newrider.com