Why is ragwort seen as less of a threat?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
The bane of my life again. But I'm curious why some horse owners don't pull it, is it because horses are unlikely to eat it?

Just an example but someone I know is always sharing things about EMS, laminitis and the risk of heat to horses. Yet has a field full of ragwort?

I'm just interested in thoughts, not looking to slate people. Why is it lower down than laminitis etc. Less prevalence in the consequences of ragwort?

Some peoples priorities are all wrong.

Horses will eat it. It is more palatable once it is dried out. If horses have nothing in the field to eat, they will chew on ragwort stalks.

I dont get some people either but its an insane world we are living in. I think this virus is showing in times of crisis just how much its bringing out the insane and the best and worst in people.

All we can do is worry about our small patch and know that weve done the best for our own horse.

Reactions: MrA
I've always been led to believe it's devil spawn and should be dealt with quickly and properly. However, there are others who don't share this view. Puzzles me. I honestly don't understand why they don't shift it.

I wonder if it's because the consequences are delayed. Laminitis, heat stroke it's all pretty quick onset. Similar I suppose to leaving a horse really overweight because the health issues might not be immediate?

The council let it grow on the verges and the public gritter it in the garden as its pretty. :rolleyes:

At a guess I'd say it's because it's easy to preach about things on the internet than it is to get up and do something like clear ragwort ?

Reactions: Bodshi and MrA
Never mind council and verges - there's a yard on my way home that looks like they're growing it as a crop. I'm OCD about it - pull it the minute I see it.

So reading a little more about this in what limited articles I can find. Number of deaths is not really known as can only be confirmed during post mortem and most don't get those done. Also other things cause the same symptoms before death.

It would be reassuring if there was a figure for yearly deaths that was very low. But even then I would still dig it up.

Like not riding straight after feeding, it's just not worth the risk. I've worked at lots of yards and many attitudes around here are similar. The horses won't touch it so it's not a problem and will just get pulled sporadically.

If I saw any ragwort in the section Ale is in I would remove immediately. The rested areas I work on gradually but pull it all out before it finishes flowering. Kind of wonder why when the field next door is full of the stuff.

Reactions: Huggy
At a guess I'd say it's because it's easy to preach about things on the internet than it is to get up and do something like clear ragwort ?
Well there is that too ? but people do believe horses won't touch it. Where are they getting this info from.

Well there is that too ? but people do believe horses won't touch it. Where are they getting this info from.
The Internet. Because everything you read on there is true.
Though these days, the house should know better shouldn't it. ?

Not ragwort, but my old RI told me about one of her pupils whose horse had been put in a starvation paddock to lose weight and had eaten Hemlock and died. Horses might not eat things that are bad for them if there's other grazing available but what if there isn't?

It worries me that Ragwort might be in hay, especially if it's more poisonous when dried. How do you know you're hay is from a good field?

You really dont know its got no ragwort unless you make hay yourself. Even then you can guarantee ragwort free if you make june hay, because its not out in flower at that stage so less likely to see as its being mowed off.
Even we dont guarantee ragwort free hay. We do our best. We cut ours in july, I went round the week before we cut with a wheelbarrow and rag fork digging out the bits i could see. My brother had to get off the tractor and pulled a few bits that he saw flowering in front of him as he was mowing. Im sure there were bits not in flower that were missed.

There are some people who are lucky and there fields dont have ragwort, but id say once youve had it in your pasture you cant guarantee its not there. Considering seeds can lay dormant in soil for 20 years. It only takes those right conditions allow that seed to suddenly germinate.

• Wow
Reactions: Jessey and Bodshi
Not ragwort, but my old RI told me about one of her pupils whose horse had been put in a starvation paddock to lose weight and had eaten Hemlock and died. Horses might not eat things that are bad for them if there's other grazing available but what if there isn't?

It worries me that Ragwort might be in hay, especially if it's more poisonous when dried. How do you know you're hay is from a good field?

I think you just have to try and find a good reliable source. Back south we used the same feed merchant that old YO used - so a very safe bet. Alternatively you can look into the bagged hayledge (thinking of you keeping yours at home). Craven bale is excellent, ours lived off that stuff and never ever had a bad bale or anything dodgy in it. I'm sure they'd deliver to you - minimum order is a pallet full usually. But Horsehage is just as good.

Reactions: Bodshi
I think some people just look for any excuse not to do the back breaking work of pulling, I was recently at a race trainers yard and he said he left it as the horses 'wont touch it live' and would spray it when they came in for the winter....!!! Random!

I had someone in spraying my field for nettles a few years ago and he very kindly pointed out that all the ragwort would need doing at extra cost, shame for him it was actually golden rod, but just because it was yellow and a similar height he assumed it was rag as had only looked from a distance.

Reactions: Huggy
newrider.com