Why I like clicker training

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
As you may know, Ziggy tends to be anxious and reluctant with any kind of new tack.

I took Mattie's fly mask (one of the ones with holes for the ears and forelock) off today and was carrying it through to the shelter. Z saw it, put on his anxious face and flinched away.

J: "Touch it, Ziggy."

Z: "No way! It's a torture implement for ponies. I'm going to walk to the other end of the starvation paddock and turn my bum to you."

So I went and got my treat bag and clicker. Called him, he trotted to me (and got clicked of course).

J: "Touch it, Ziggy," and he touches the mask with his nose. Click, treat (C,T).

J: "Stand," and he stands still while I lay the mask along his neck and by his face. C,T.

J: "Stand," and he stands while I put it over his face. C,T.

J: "Good boy Ziggy," and he lets me do it up, give him a treat, then take it off.

Scary fly mask on and off in 2 minutes with no stress on either side, and this is a stressy pony!

Gotta love that clicker.

it is something I would love to learn about, especially after the photoshoot I done, I was amazed with what the lady could get her horses to do

Marvellous isn't it. I haven't formally clickered for it, just given a treat through the hole every time I put it on, and Rio no longer objects to having her muzzle put on. In fact she's even shown signs of looking to put her nose in it.

newrider.com