Why has he started doing this?

ForestGump

Apr 9, 2008
Hampshire
Recently when removing Forest rugs or putting them on he strikes up with his near fore leg. He doesn't go to kick me with it, just to smack it on the floor.

His ears aren't back when he does it, but I always tell him off for it (I hate horses scraping their feet!)

Why has he only just started doing this? At the moment hes only in light work, when previously he was in heavy work, so I was wondering if thats got something to do with it?

Any ideas welcome please :)

He's living out 24/7 too isn't he? At this time of year they get a bit wild and 'herdy' when living out, and then start getting precious about themselves and their likes and dislikes. Bit like a spoilt child not wanting their face wiped when they're waiting to go back out to play :)

yup boredom or frustration.

(i hate it as much as you ;))

Its one of the things I hate horses doing, and always make a point of telling Forest off if he trys to do it, which he rarely does. But he has just started.

He's living out 24/7 too isn't he? At this time of year they get a bit wild and 'herdy' when living out, and then start getting precious about themselves and their likes and dislikes. Bit like a spoilt child not wanting their face wiped when they're waiting to go back out to play :)

Yes, hes out 24/7 but still with one companion, the same one as usual, and shes tied up next to him when hes in so hes not missing her or anything. Everything else is fine, just the rug thing. :)

Is he telling you to get a move on?

No, hes starts as soon as the rug goes over his back, or when removing as soon as I go near the front straps. Hes not fidgetty of anything, so knowing Forest, if he wanted me to get a move on he would move around rather then left his leg in this way? Its really confused me though, very out of character.

It's very easy to inadvertently teach horses to do undesirable things by simply giving them attention when they do it.

Try totally ignoring him, and see whether he continues............I doubt it. :)

I'd just ignore it. Much as it's a big deal, he's only letting out frustration and there's nothing wrong in expressing how he feels in such a harmless manner, despite how annoying it may be. :p I agree that he has probably been - inadvertantly - taught that doing it gains some sort of reward (attention, you hurrying up, being turned out etc) at some point in the past, so he repeats the behaviour in the hope that it will reap these results that he desires. If he learns - by you ignoring it - that nothing comes out of doing it, then he is likely to stop. I certainly wouldn't punish him for it. After all, we do live in a democracy, don't we ... ;)

x

It's very easy to inadvertently teach horses to do undesirable things by simply giving them attention when they do it.

Try totally ignoring him, and see whether he continues............I doubt it. :)

I'd just ignore it. Much as it's a big deal, he's only letting out frustration and there's nothing wrong in expressing how he feels in such a harmless manner, despite how annoying it may be. :p I agree that he has probably been - inadvertantly - taught that doing it gains some sort of reward (attention, you hurrying up, being turned out etc) at some point in the past, so he repeats the behaviour in the hope that it will reap these results that he desires. If he learns - by you ignoring it - that nothing comes out of doing it, then he is likely to stop. I certainly wouldn't punish him for it. After all, we do live in a democracy, don't we ... ;)

x

If I ignore it he gets worse, and will try another technique. I'm not sure this is actually for attention anyway. Had he wanted my attention he would probably have gone about it in another way. I've had him for almost 2 years and this is the first time he has started doing this, hence why I'm so confused.

I'm wondering if he would do it with someone else though, or whether hes taking the P out of me. But then its only for his rugs, so it makes me wonder if hes actually trying to tell me something. I know he has sensitive withers, but they are fine at the moment, and I make a point of checking every day that his rugs haven't rubbed him.

Other then his work changing, I can't think of anything else in his routine that has changed in the last couple of days to make hims start this.

Scooby started getting really shirty with me a week or so ago when I went to rug him. Moving sideways and half hearted attempts at cow kicking when doing leg straps up. I figured he didn't want his rug on any more, so have left him naked. He's as nice as pie now:)

'I'm wondering if he would do it with someone else though, or whether hes taking the P out of me. But then its only for his rugs, so it makes me wonder if hes actually trying to tell me something. I know he has sensitive withers, but they are fine at the moment, and I make a point of checking every day that his rugs haven't rubbed him'.

Scooby is not taking the P he IS trying to tell you something. The rug may be agitating a nerve and he stamps his foot for relief, similar to when they are trying to shift a fly.

Rather then work yourself up about it I would forget the rugs and see if he stops - otherwise you may find after some time that you have inadvertently trained him to do this out of habit.

Remove the rugs which are the cause and monitor the situation.

all the best

Is he being fed at the same time as you putting the rug on/off? If so then wait till he's finished. Another idea is that Fan used to do it and I could never work out why. Weird thing is that as soon as I made sure that her mane was laid the correct way under the rug (you know the bit where the rug just covers the mane?) she stopped doing it! May be something as simple as that-check the lengths of all the straps and look at the inside of the rugs to make sure there's nothing sticking out/rubbing.

newrider.com