Why does weight fluctuate so much?

Innocence

Jun 1, 2009
Now i have been back to eating sensible ish again, i'm not eating carbs at the mo although did indulge in a bowl of porridge this morning :eek:

Now when i weigh myself in the morning i'm happy ish still need to lose another half a stone to a stone but if i weigh myself in the evening it could be 3/4 Ilbs different which makes me wonder why i bother putting myself through this. By morning it's back to where it was again. It's annoying because i'm barely eating 1000 calories a day and do walk up stairs at work rather than take the lift etc

My is it so cr@p? :(

Dont weigh yourself so much, set a day and time to weigh yourself and stick to it. you will get a better idea as to how much you have lost or gained over a week rather than weighing yourself everyday.

That's because during the day your filling your body up with food and water, hence why your heavier during the day. Well most of the time anyway, as on the very odd occassion I have weighed myself in the afternoon I have been lighter, this has been rare though. If your going to weigh yourself each day, try to stick to a specific time and stick to that time only. I only weigh myself in the morning, just after I get up, been to the loo and in my pyjamas.

If your doing a no carb diet, your stripping your body of glycogen, which is why as soon as you'll eat some again (especially porridge) your body will store it as glycogen again pretty quick, hence the weight gain. :)

I did a small carb overload yesterday, my own fault, I brought a lot of finger food for my daughters first birthday party today, and could I stop munching ? Well yes I did :D I'm finding doing weight watchers a hell of a lot easier than when I was following cambridge. This morning I'm half a pound heavier, but I'm not worrying about it as I know it'll shift.

Loosing weight sucks though doesn't it ? :(

Now when i weigh myself in the morning i'm happy ish still need to lose another half a stone to a stone but if i weigh myself in the evening it could be 3/4 Ilbs different

because you eat during the day...

It's annoying because i'm barely eating 1000 calories a day and do walk up stairs at work rather than take the lift etc

Are you trying to starve yourself?!?! :eek: unless you're under 18y/o or about 3ft tall, you need a minimum of 1,500 cals per day...

I don't actually feel hungry, eating salads, fruit and veg with fish for lunch and tea. Normally have fruit for breakfast but really fancied porridge this morning. Only drinking water or mint tea too.

Hmm, my diet is very similar to yours Innoncence, and likewise I'm normally 1000 kcals a day or less.

Can't give much advice I'm afraid!

I do have this theory though that if you never ever in your life dieted then you self regulate really well. I have never seen a person who has never dieted properly become overweight. I also have a theory that if you are a 'dieter' or someone who has dieted properly at least once then you're more likely to be overweight.

I could of course be completely wrong lol and it doesn't help either of us much now lol.

The fluctuation during the day I assume is always water and also water weight (waste weight) as well as food you've eaten.

I always weigh myself in the morning but can tell in the evening if I will have lost some more by the next morning then I did that morning if that makes sense?

I only weigh myself once a week at the most and always in the morning. If you weigh yourself throughout the day then like the others have said it will vary due to you eating and drinking.

I've actually joined a gym today :eek: went for a free trial last night and loved it, determined to get my little ticker thing going in the right direction!! :D

I've cheated again today, my body must be craving sugar. lol Had a small bag of giant buttons and a small piece of flap jack with a cup of tea :eek:

Will have to do some poo picking tonight to get rid of the extra calories, don't know why i do it, i always feel tired and horrible when i eat sweet stuff but it tastes sooooo good!

Will stick to weighing in the morning, less depressing that way :)

You become totally obsessed with the scales don't you!! After every loo trip I'm back on there, but I know like some are saying, its better to do it just once a week/month at the same time.
I've resolved it a bit by changing my scales into kg. I don't know what the conversion is into stones and pounds (and don't want to know), so I feel like I'm still losing but I get a nice surprise when I change it back every now and then.
I'm terrible in my period week and can vary in weight by upto 8lbs:eek: bloody depressing. I'm eager not to 'diet' as I know I'll put it all back on when I get down to a better weight, so I'm concentrating on just lowering my portion sizes and making healthier choices but the chocolate just screams at me. Thats when frozen milky ways work a treat. That or fruit pastille ice lollies.

I really must try the frozen milky ways to try and curb my sweet craving. I don't eat bread or potatoes because these bloat me out.

Like you during the period week i get extremely hungry and crave sugar but funnily enough never put on any weight just stay the same and feel bloated all the time.

There are cakes calling to me at the moment because it is left over from someones leaving do but i'm being good and sticking to the healthier option of grapes :)

Frozen milky ways give you the chocolate hit and take a bit longer to eat. Been told frozen grapes are good aswell. Know what you mean about week before period - I lose all control. This time round I've made sure my kitchen cupboards are bare, it doesn't matter what it is, I'll eat it when I'm in that mood. The rest of the time I'm so well behaved. Its like there's a full moon or something.
My worst time for nibbling is in the evening, I'm ok at work and during the day in general. I'm finding being in the field for four hours a night stops me from stuffing my face. Will probably gain it all back once winter comes around!:rolleyes:
Good on you for the grapes but don't deny yourself everything, that just makes it worse. Although on saying that I've heard people say if you can abstain from sugar completely then you actually stop craving it?! I wish.

I have to start eating healthier, smaller portions to lose several stone but just don't know where to start really. This last 2 years weight has increased yet I am doing more than ever so I end up snacking on high calorie food stuffs. I weight more now than when I was pregnant with my children. It is making me very depressed. So I have decided to try do something about it. I am currently a size 16/18 but want to try get back into 12/14 again which is a size I was for many years.

Help please all you ladies who are succeeding with weight loss currently. Do I diet, follow a eating plan what, Join weight watchers. I just bought a really lovely 13.2 fell pony and want to have lots of fun with her but I seriously need to shift a lot of weight over the next 18 months.:confused::)(

I don't drink much alcohol but I do drink lots of tea with 2 sugars and I am on medication for a disability which doesn't help.Where do I start? I look like I am pregnant on my tummy. I do loads of chores like poopicking, carting water etc I have 5 ponies to look after in total but I still am not losing weight :( Since I met my partner two years ago I have put on 21/2 stone, in my personal life I am really happy. He a very good cook which really doesn't help at all.

Last edited:
I have to start eating healthier, smaller portions to lose several stone but just don't know where to start really. This last 2 years weight has increased yet I am doing more than ever so I end up snacking on high calorie food stuffs. I weight more now than when I was pregnant with my children. It is making me very depressed. So I have decided to try do something about it. I am currently a size 16/18 but want to try get back into 12/14 again which is a size I was for many years.

Help please all you ladies who are succeeding with weight loss currently. Do I diet, follow a eating plan what, Join weight watchers. I just bought a really lovely 13.2 fell pony and want to have lots of fun with her but I seriously need to shift a lot of weight over the next 18 months.:confused::)(

I don't drink much alcohol but I do drink lots of tea with 2 sugars and I am on medication for a disability which doesn't help.Where do I start?

I would cut down on your tea and try not adding sugar, if you really need to then add an alternative like canderel (sp?) and limit to one spoon rather than two. Tea is a diaretic so excessive amounts can stop you going to the loo. Switch your snacks to fruit or nuts, don't add salt or eat high salt foods because these can cause water retention.

because you eat during the day...

Are you trying to starve yourself?!?! :eek: unless you're under 18y/o or about 3ft tall, you need a minimum of 1,500 cals per day...

It's not just what you eat it's what you drink. I have put on 3lb from one morning to the next and lost it again because it was a hot day, I was active and I didn't drink enough so my body retained water. Next day I drank more and the water retention went again so I weighed the same.

Also, where do you get your facts from about needing 1,500 calories a day as this simply isn't true. Check out the NICE guidelines for conformation on that.

Joycarer, could you link me to the guidelines? I looked at the NICE website, but was unable to find anything about calorie needs. What I found in a google search was a page from webMD, which, admittedly is geared toward Americans. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20060505/how-many-calories-should-i-eat-today This page recommends that an active 45 year old woman needs about 2000 calories per day, so 1500 for a dieter isn't far off. I'm just kind of curious to see what the recommendations are on your side of the pond.

Innocence, I know exactly what you mean. I can get on the scale one day and have gained a full five pounds from the night before without having eaten or drank any more; it's really frustrating. I dieted and exercised off 75 lbs. over the course of about 8 months, but managed to put 15 of it back over the course of two weeks. That isn't supposed to be medically possible outside of extreme circumstances, but there you go. I feel your pain.

Joycarer, could you link me to the guidelines? I looked at the NICE website, but was unable to find anything about calorie needs. What I found in a google search was a page from webMD, which, admittedly is geared toward Americans. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20060505/how-many-calories-should-i-eat-today This page recommends that an active 45 year old woman needs about 2000 calories per day, so 1500 for a dieter isn't far off. I'm just kind of curious to see what the recommendations are on your side of the pond.

Innocence, I know exactly what you mean. I can get on the scale one day and have gained a full five pounds from the night before without having eaten or drank any more; it's really frustrating. I dieted and exercised off 75 lbs. over the course of about 8 months, but managed to put 15 of it back over the course of two weeks. That isn't supposed to be medically possible outside of extreme circumstances, but there you go. I feel your pain.

You can find out how many calories is reccommended for your height and weight etc by googling for your 'basal metabolic rate' I am 5ft 1 (just) and my reccommended rate to lose weight is between 1000 and 1200kcals I think a day.

You only have to talk to your doctor about dieting if you are doing a very low calorie diet (VLCD) A VLCD is one that is, I think, below 600kcals a day. I *think* anything above that but below the reccomended 2000kcals a day to stay the same weight is classed as a low calorie diet.

If I ate the reccommended 2000kcals a day I would not stay the same weight, I would gain it. the reason being that I am not a average 5ft 6 woman lol.

I don't think you can always go by guidelines either. I mean my hubby is underweight and to be fair he only eats around 2000kcals a day AND has a very physical job. He's 6ft 2 but his weight doesn't decrease (or increase) even though he eats less then reccomended.

all very :confused::confused:

I personally think I have a metabolism type all of my own lol, (or I maybe sharing it with Innoncence lol)

Another thing to think about is everyone metabolises things slightly differently depending on how enzymes and fatty acids interact etc. Since finding out about my sons metabolic condition I have had to understand a lot about different types of metabolism. There are lots of different pathways sometimes for the same thing and people can metabolise things differently.

For example in the Atkins type diet you can actually persuade your body to run on fats as a primary source of nutrition, meaning your body will use up fats before converting sugars and then using fat stores. This isn't the way your body would normally work.

the normal way of metabolising is your body uses up sugars that you have eaten and then fats that you have eaten and then lastly stored fat. Using up stored fats can (eg fasting for a while) also cause ketosis which can be good or can be harmful depending on how your make up is. If you don't eat carbs or sugars your body will use what food you have eaten and then access stored fat reserves, if you then eat carbs or sugars you 'switch off' the using stored fat pathway and your bosy will start using what you have just eaten and therefore not burn more fat.

another interesting subject is alcohol....Did you know if you only drink a little then you metabolise it slowly and it is likely to make you gain weight, however if you are a regular heavy drinker like a alcoholic your body actually starts using it as a primary source of fuel and will metabolise it very quickly and you will not gain as much weight on it...which is why a lot of alcoholics aver very slim.

sorry for the boring bit and am sorry if it's all a bit of a waffle!

It was a good waffle, though! I know what my needed caloric intake is and all that, but I remain absolutely convinced that weight is not nearly as simple as calories in minus calories out. And don't even get me started on the whole obesity "epidemic." Nothing more than a huge exercise (pardon the pun) in fat-phobia and junk science, driven by a diet industry that stands to make billions in product sales and membership plans. :banghead:

It was a good waffle, though! I know what my needed caloric intake is and all that, but I remain absolutely convinced that weight is not nearly as simple as calories in minus calories out. And don't even get me started on the whole obesity "epidemic." Nothing more than a huge exercise (pardon the pun) in fat-phobia and junk science, driven by a diet industry that stands to make billions in product sales and membership plans. :banghead:

No, it's not as simple as the gov would like to make out. If it was then how can alcohol calorie content differ so much depending on how it's metabolised??!!! lol :bounce:

I have had several moans at our local school who promote healthy eating so much that a lot of the 10-11yr olds are far more concious of what they are eating then they should be. My daughter is tiny for her age and weighs 4 stone (she's 11), a lot of her friends are made to feel fat by the school for being 6 stone although they are all a lot taller then her being more like 5ft so not really overweight!

My husband has been told on numerous occasions that his BMI is dangerously low and he should be weak and tired etc etc...well he's a very active builder and I get far more tired then him (and i weigh more and am a foot shorter!) the only weight problem he has really is not being the right 'number'. But then he's always been that way.

Another interesting point is my little son can't break down stored fat easily as he has MCADD, he also has to eat very regularly or he'll run out of fuel in the tank due to not being able to access stored fat fast enough without making toxins. You'd think he'd be really fat having a mainly carb and sugar based diet but oddly enough he isn't although he is tall for his age. He has a diet most dieticians would shudder at for a 'normal' child yet he does well on it and doesn't have the problems the gov would like to associate with high sugar intake...he has good concentration and doesn't get 'high' on sweet treats.

I don't tend to look at calories in food but the sugar content from the carbs, if they are high then i won't touch it. Same if the carb content is high i won't touch it either.

I did a detox a few weeks ago and after 3 days i started developing Ketosis type systems, it did work though and i was losing the weight. I just couldn't put up with the pains in my legs and the headaches.

I'm 5ft 4 and weight approx 10st on a good day, dress size is 8/10 on top and size 10 on the bottom. Yet i can still see the fat and know i am over weight, i tend to judge it by how much daylight i can see between my legs when standing up straight (i'm weird i know), if my thighs join in the middle then i'm fat.

I would love to lose another stone but i know my body just won't do it unless i was on a very strict 600Kcal a day diet and doing mountains of exercise. To be honest i don't know how anyone can do 600Kcals a day, i can just do below a 1000Kcals a day. :frown: However, even if i did lose the extra stone i don't think my dress sizes will change but i would hopefully feel like i can get a pair of skinny jeans that don't show the fatty pockets on my thighs through the material :redface:

Yet i can still see the fat and know i am over weight

For what it's worth, and I know you already know this, but your BMI puts you well within the normal range, not the overweight range. It's all up to what you want and if you're happy with what you see in the mirror, but please don't fall into the trap of thinking that the mirror is always honest. It isn't.

Not meaning to henpeck you, just offering my two penneth as someone who has struggled with weight her entire life. :smile:

newrider.com