Why do we keep our horses the way we do

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Do you think it's based on research, tradition, education, a bit of all 3?

Limitations of where we keep them obviously has a big part to play. Also personal preference etc.

At the end of the day it's your horse, keep them how you wish. But I just wonder what we make the decisions based on, influenced by those around us I suppose amongst other things.

I don't fit in the box round here, I've got a barefoot haffy that lives out, doesn't get rugged (apart from in summer ?) But I used to have a shod haffy, that was clipped, rugged, stabled alot, fed oats! I know which I now prefer and he's never looked better in my opinion. Wish he could talk and let me know.

I think I used to keep him based on other people's opinions as well as not knowing as much. I've been educated along the way, especially by finding such a good barefoot trimmer. And a yard where I can keep him as I want.

Reactions: Trewsers
Great thread! It’s interesting isn’t it. A lot of owners keep their horses in similar ways with just slight variations and then there are some that are really massively different. I still maintain it’s often linked to what you want out of horse keeping. If you are competing lots and want time to devote to the sport side then keeping them a in a free range, barefoot, natural and covered in mud way isn’t always a good thing because of time constraints. I should imagine working full time and competing whenever you can AND trying to ensure they have a great set up could be quite taxing. Whereas if you have a well run yard and pay part or full livery it will give you more time for getting out and about.
Also think finding a really great yard that gives owners what they want can be difficult. I guess compromise is key. Will be interested to see what other members think.

Reactions: MrA
I struggle a bit as i have some that gain weight easily - Fleur Suze and one of the younger donkeys - and three who need plenty of food. Some have been on restricted all summer and weight is ok apart from Suze who has gone up. Ground is so wet now i have chucked them all out on the winter field and left the gate open so they can come in if they want, only ones rugged are Buddy Aimee the 33 year old donkey and Tintin. From the evidence of mucking out, they are staying out most of the time and eating 50% less hay. Hoping the weather and the not very good grass will encourage some weight loss though of course they have hay on the yard for the ones that need it. We usually let them trash that field and rest it from April onwards. The other fields are swimming at the moment and as they are my summer fields, trying to save them. All are barefoot. As they are at home I can swap them around, I have closed one little paddock to keep as a special place for Aimee and Tintin so letting it grow so they can use it later on if the field access to the winter field is too deep for Aimee to use.

I struggle a bit as i have some that gain weight easily - Fleur Suze and one of the younger donkeys - and three who need plenty of food. Some have been on restricted all summer and weight is ok apart from Suze who has gone up. Ground is so wet now i have chucked them all out on the winter field and left the gate open so they can come in if they want, only ones rugged are Buddy Aimee the 33 year old donkey and Tintin. From the evidence of mucking out, they are staying out most of the time and eating 50% less hay. Hoping the weather and the not very good grass will encourage some weight loss though of course they have hay on the yard for the ones that need it. We usually let them trash that field and rest it from April onwards. The other fields are swimming at the moment and as they are my summer fields, trying to save them. All are barefoot. As they are at home I can swap them around, I have closed one little paddock to keep as a special place for Aimee and Tintin so letting it grow so they can use it later on if the field access to the winter field is too deep for Aimee to use.
Yes having varying needs takes some working around - I have one poor doer and two good ones.

Mine has metabolic issues and that has a big impact on how he's kept, and then there's my own strong opinion that horses shouldn't be kept on their own all the time, and I don't think company over a fence is enough. If he didn't have problems I'd be tempted to keep him out 24/7 all year round but pay for a stable so in really bad weather or in the case of an injury I had one to hand, but as it is he needs to be managed more carefully than that would allow so he's in at night in the winter.

I believe in doing what suits the horse, Oh how I’d love to go back to Jess out in a big field and not have to hay/poo pick twice a day on a track but she doesn’t mix well with other mares so mixed herds were always an issue and she was fat as a house. Hank and Dan have fitted in with her, and with Dans history of lami it suits them. Niko will get grass turnout and fed a little grain and be stabled for a while (he’ll be moved to another yard temporarily to accommodate this), so that his body and mind are able to cope if things change in future and I need to adapt my management. If he can stay barefoot great, if not I’ll boot or shoe, whichever suits him best.
Im not very influenced by those physically around me and not necessarily inclined to follow the norm/tradition/trends/fads, I see a reason/opportunity for improvement and research to find or develop a solution that suits my specific needs and solves the root problem not just a symptom. It’s never done/finished, it continues evolving.

Reactions: MrA and carthorse
Yes I think too we have to do what suits the horse. Storm (with hindsight) was never going to fit in with our other two. Why I tried them all together is beyond me. She's more happy and settled now than ever before. She is so food driven, her paddock is sacred and she doesn't want to share it with anyone else!

Some really interesting points raised. I hadn't really thought about it from the point of view of what you want to get from the horse but that makes alot of sense.

It's just interesting isn't it how little things have really changed in the way horses are kept. I suppose they have changed a bit, but the practices such as shoeing, rugging, tack, management are all pretty similar in principle.

I think adapting is a great point. In theory every horse owner should need to do this as their horse ages. I think there will be a time when Ale will need rugging, stabling etc.

It's just interesting, I've spoken to numerous owners the last couple of weeks and I just wish I knew what they were basing their decisions on.

It's a real struggle having an old poor doer and a young good doer! I separate them for part of the day while Charlie is with his playmate Tonto, so that Mattie can have access for a few hours to all the grass he wants. Sometimes though he leaves the grass to go and stand as close to where Charlie is as he can, which is a bit heartbreaking TBH.

Apart from that I do my best to keep them in a way that makes them comfortable and content. They have access to a shelter but don't have to be in it, I don't stable them, I only rug them if they need it (Mattie a lot, Charlie not at all to date).

The first pony I shared, Arran, was at livery a couple of miles away. He was on the night shift, out at night, stabled during the day. I worked full time at that time, and It was so convenient turning up to ride knowing he would be in his box and in reasonable condition to be ridden, and I can see why people who commute or work long hours choose to keep their horses that way. I'm glad I don't have to, though. Arran seemed very settled with things as they were, but he definitely preferred to be out.

I got it into quite a fine art with Ramsey and Hogan. Ramseys teeth couldn't cope with hay, so he came in for a huge bucket of mush, which took about half an hour to eat. Meanwhile Hogan got his teeny tiny bucket and hay, while I poo picked and cossetted Ramsey. If I was riding Hogan, Ramsey got an even bigger bucket and dozed in the stable til we got back.

newrider.com