Why are more women into horses then men?

Amber Hughes

Fergals mummy
May 4, 2007
Saltash, Cornwall
www.myspace.com
There are no men with horses are my yard apart from one lady who brings her husband up and how he has a horse there - (how sweet!!!)

There must be some reason why there are more women into it then men though seriously - but why? :confused:

I never see men about but then you see them on the telly winning crap loads they seem to come from no where

I wish more men would get into it but then I suppose when us girls go off to do 'our thing' with our horses suppose we wouldnt want our men following us everywhere haha :p

x

my BF has had horses and has been riding longer than i have. he's more experienced and just plain better :p tis sickening ;)

i've notied the same though, especially when i had my first ever male RI lately, he only stayed a week though.
it seems that at the very high level there tends to be alot of men, sometimes more than women. maybe women are happy at lower levels where as men have higher competitive streak in them.

i don't know what starts girls off riding and not men, maybe its just not seen as "macho" :rolleyes:

We're all scared of you women!!

Oh and can't stand all the gossiping too - much rather ride and then go for a beer!!

Theres quite a few at my RS. And 3 lads in my lesson alone (Take note i said lads not men :))

Last edited:
I wonder if it is just more uncomfortable for men to ride? Any men on here maybe could answer that part. I know when my husband rides he says that it is uncomfortable to his "parts". I did find a riding pillow for him, but hasnt been able to use it as he now has Hernia. and until we get that taken care of he just doesnt ride.

But he used to ride with me and the neighbor lady all the time. Her husband will ride ocassonaly but when he does he has to bring his beer and likes to run all the time, then complains cuz he spilled his beer and his rump hurts.

But both of my boys like to ride--more so with my 6yr old then the 18 yr old though--he is into trucks and girls right now. lol Maybe grandkids will ride when they are old enough.

There are 3 men who ride at my yard, one owns his own horse and 2 have loans on horses. It's quite nice to meet a bloke who can hold a conversation about horses and I have wondered if I should trade my OH in for a horsey model, but i think I like my horsey time to myself and wouldnt really want a man interfering with that - besides the only men I know who ride are completely fearless and I would just get competitive and it would just go downhill from there:D

ah sorry not seen previous threads :eek:

well maybe its just in my area

i want to ask the men on here something but it maybe regarded as rude - i just am curious whether riding hurts men or not :eek::eek::eek:

apparently sitting trot does, according to my bf.....bless him :p
i on the other hand love sitting trot, strange person that i am :D

well i know that with western saddles your meant to have a womens saddle and one for the man

well i reckon it must hurt :p

wish there were more men riders round by us then again we just had ten new stables made so we may get some men joining

it is funny though that majority of women up our yard are divoricies and love having a moan about men it gets like loose women sometimes haha

I think horse riding is a more of a mans sport but a womans hobby. Those men thingys dont like to invest unless they can win money or boost their ego :p Men dont get as emotional either, or dont express emotions as much, can you just imagine a full grown man talking to his horse...(in a patronising, baby talk voice)

'hello neddy pooos, helllooooo, whos a good boy, whos a clever boy, are you a clever boy, yes you are! yes you are! clever clever clever boy oh i do love you, yes i do! i do love my special little boy!!'

:rolleyes:

Having said that i did see a man happily strolling down the road on his ginger steed the other day, but other than that I dont know any man that rides for just pleasure, they are all serious competitors and (please dont take offense guys, i live a sheltered life :eek:) they all seem gay :eek: like extreme campness!!

Well, the person that took me to meet their horse and allowed me to sit on er...and then we set off on a hack...and now I have lessons...is a bloke.
And he rides purely for pleasure...a truly "happy hacker". He doesn't appear to be competitive at all, doesn't enter comps etc. So its not always the case that male riders are competitive, want to win etc...and I've heard him talking sweet nothings to Domino.
Mind you, he does complain that male riding wear is more difficult to find than female riding wear. Less choice, apparently.

And I have absolutely no intention of ever asking him whether riding hurts men...I'll leave that to those of you who have horsey OH/BFs.:)

its amazing how many men actually like it..i suppose its that who caring for animals thing!:p

but anyway look at like tops riders there are an awful lot of men!!!

Of the three horses on the yard, the other two are ridden by men. Daffy is very rarely ridden by dad, and BF refuses to get on. One of the guys is a daily rider, the other has fortnightly lessons and is just starting out. Both horses also have women owners so the horses are pretty much shared.

BF suggests the "cutsie factor" or the fact that maybe women have more time.. or more patience for high maintenance things..

newrider.com