Whoopy found a new farrier!

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Further to my thread way back in the summer about my concerns concerning Dollys poor quality hoof and the equal poor quality advice/shoeing/trimming from my farrier:

http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222892

And my difficulty finding a new farrier that was more competent and also happy to trim my donkeys....well my new farrier came today:dance: Not entriely new - he did come out to me several years back when he was an apprentice to my farrier - he has since built him self a very good reputation and consequently is hard to get. But he agreed to take me on his books and is also happy to do the donkeys as he does the donkeys for the sanctuary.

Cant tell you what an eye opener he is - confirmed ALL my gut instincts that all advice and way of dressing for Dolly was NOT in her best interests. At the moment he wants to keep her shod as my land is so wet and boggy, also wants to hot shoe her when we have a bit more growth. And next spring when it starts to dry up he wants to try seeing how she goes barefoot as he feels with harder ground it might improve the hoof and frog quality considerably.

What a result! Just my thoughts confirmed and her new shoeing job looks ace! Will get piccys tomorrow.

And my donkeys feet have never looked so neat - plus they were ten times better behaved for him than my old farrier - new one is very quietly spoken and calm and think the donks appreciated that in him.

Very happy Cortrasna today - just got to sort her new saddle out now and shall get on and go for a hack even if I have to be lifted onboard!:giggle:

Cleanboots

Feb 3, 2010
Really please for you Cortrasna x

Good Farriers are hard to find so look after him well, We have had the same one for 5 years, he never lets us down and we always buy him a present at Christmas.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Well Clashnoir have plenty of strong beams in the barn so it might come to that yet!:giggle:

CB this one will be getting a VERY nice Christmas bonus - especially as not only is he a million times better - he is also E30 cheaper for a full set for the Dolly and trims for 4 donkeys - so shall put some more to the saving at Chrissy and find him something really nice.:wink:

Cleanboots

Feb 3, 2010
Well Clashnoir have plenty of strong beams in the barn so it might come to that yet!:giggle:

CB this one will be getting a VERY nice Christmas bonus - especially as not only is he a million times better - he is also E30 cheaper for a full set for the Dolly and trims for 4 donkeys - so shall put some more to the saving at Chrissy and find him something really nice.:wink:

Wow, you have dropped lucky all round by the sounds of things! Thats a lot to save.:wink:

learningcurve

May 25, 2008
Congratulations :wavespin: fantastic to have a farrier you can trust.

Did your old farrier always cold shoe, only ask as Hattie our new girl really didn't go much on being hot shod, the smoke made her very uneasy.

My farrier told me that quite a lot of horses that he shoes that come over from Ireland have never been hot shod, is cold shoeing the norm over there?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Yes LC cold shoeing is far more the norm - unless you take your horses to the forge and not many people would be bothered to do that. Would be more common in Kildare type of area where the big racing studs and yards are - but most of those have their own farriers and on site forges.

Mine were always hot shod when I lived in England so Solly was well used to it- but I bet Dolly will be a bit bemused the first time she is done too!:happy:

learningcurve

May 25, 2008
Bit like over here when I had my ponies as a kid, many moons ago.

Both my ponies were cold shod, no mobile forge then, mind you don't think we even had a phone. :redface:

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
A good farrier is the most important person on the yard in my book!!

Interestingly in the UK racehorses are mainly cold shod as they have shoes on and off so much for racing....have seem some awful ones!

EML you could well be right - I am only going on what others have told me - have no real knowledge of the racing industry here or in the UK. Out of interest shall ask my new farrier when he is next out as he does do a couple of TB yards.

On a sillier note....hardly dare confess this....when I went down to give her jollop just now I made son wash her feet off for me just so I go oooh and aaaah over her lovely shoeing job! So easily pleased!:bounce: