Who washes and reproofs their own rugs?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I am probably being very tight, but I don't like the thought of paying someone to wash and preproof my rugs when surely I could do it myself. Do any of you clean your own rugs and how do you do it? I'm thinking of washing it in the bath, letting it dry and then painting a reproofer over the top?

Any views?

My lightweight turnouts go in tge washing machine and mw get a good hosing, scrubbing and soaking in a tub then I paint on waterproofer, def cheaper than £15 a rug

I've done my rainsheets in the past. Shoved them in the washer inside my special rug bag - and washed with nikwax stuff and then poured the re proofer in as directed. They've generally been okay, tho that nikwax stuff isn't cheap either.

I've done mine with a jet washer and Thompsons Water Seal in the past. I find that I get a better proofing than my rug cleaning lady! :eek:

I tried washing a rug once. I hosed it down and then draped it over my rotary dryer but the rug was so heavy with water it bent the dryer. My rugs are so big - 7' - they won't go in the washing machine so for me it's much less hassle to take them to the saddlers for cleaning and re-proofing. Which reminds me I've got two in my car waiting to go.

I was thinking of buying that spray you use to proof tents. I don't think my mediumweight will fit in the washing machine so might have to pay to get that done, but I will wash the others myself.

My washer won't take anything bigger than a rain sheet. I've tried stuffing a lightweight one in with filling and it just doesn't want to know.

I have done, but if I was going to do them again I would take them to our local laundrette and use their extra-large machine and not have to worry about mud in the filter!

I do mine myself, saves me waiting weeks for it to be done and the risk of rugs getting lost. Rainbow's rug was washed, reproofed, dried and rip repaired with rug glue and cured within 24hrs at the weekend because I did it myself

Reactions: Ruskii
I've washed mine myself, normally don't bother reproofing as they usually don't last that long!

Much easier now I am here, I used to either wash them in the bath or hose or pressure wash them in the garden/on the back gate. This summer I got 2 chairs on the yard, sprayed them all with the hose and put them over the wall to dry. The ones I could fit went in the washing machine as we bought one with a large capacity so I could get my rugs in,lol.
Think next time I buy rugs I'm only going to get lightweights and buy liners for them, so I can wash them all in the machine.

I pressure washed an expensive Rambo (HW) and the bl00dy thing started to FILL with water! Took ages to dry and at the end, my OH hade to poke a hole in it to drain it ! :eek:

I plan to wash mine this year myself - hose on, water brush in the horrible bits then rinse off with a light spray - I've only used a rainsheet this year though.

newrider.com