Who uses a Wintec saddle on their flat backed cob?

I had a Wintec VSD on my flat backed sec d mare. The VSD's only come in CAIR which I personally wouldn't ever have again. I loved the VSD for my comfort and position though. When the saddler came out and looked at mine and my ex YO's saddles (both Wintec CAIR but one a 2000 and the other a VSD) he pointed out that on both saddles the front panel had compressed and was mishapen. Not impressed with CAIR I'm afraid. He also said that flocked saddles are more easilly adjusable to fit the horses back.

I'm going to be boring and link you back to an old thread which has very clear diagrams indicating how the fit did not work for my flat backed cob. The 500's, 2000's and VSD's all have a more curved (often refered to as banana shaped) tree and so the saddle curves away from the horses back in the cantle region in addition the panels when you look at the saddle from the horses tail actually sloop outwards at an angle dramatically meaning that if they did touch the horses back then they would dig in at the outer edges and not follow the line of a laterally flat back.

For a flat backed cob you can go for a Wintec Wide rather than a 2000, 500 or VSD as the tree is flatter. I don't think this comes in a VSD cut though. It never used to.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE READ THE POSTS I LINKED TO. IT IS WORTH IT AND I DON'T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO BE FOOLED BY CR@P SADDLE FITTERS :(

Look specifically at posts 29, 32 & 34 ;)

http://newrider.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=133648&page=2

I still maintain that if the VSD came in flocked and actually fitted my flat backed mare then I'd have another one because I loved it for me!

I'm unimpressed with them: my friend has one and loves it, but another guy at the yard has one and you can feel the cair has compressed down unevenly over time and has various ressure points. It's also done the 'banana' thing that Pinkslady talked about and frankly needs chucking. My saddle fitter agreed with Thorowgood instead-more adjustable and flocked, not cair.

Thank You for your replies. Joyscarer, that was very helpful, Thank You!

Can I ask what saddles you do use on your cobs then?

I will be getting a saddle fitter out but I'd like to have a bit of an idea myself beforehand so I can't get fobbed off :D

Thanks!

I swapped to an excellent saddle fitter who bought out a selection of saddles to try on my mare.

I initially had intended to get a Saddle Company one given the excellent reviews they were getting on here at the time but it really wasn't right for Joy and funnilly enough I sat on one on a plastic horse I didn't feel entirely right either.

In the end the best fit for Joy was a Thorowgood Cob GP 3D. Weirdly enough the 3D pannels that best suited her were the TB ones and a TB Joy certainly aint! :rolleyes:

I don't find it as good a fit for me as the Wintec VSD, if they did the cob in a VSD then I'd swap.

The important thing is finding the right fit for your horse. At the end of the day you could have the most expensive saddle in the world but a poorly fitting saddle a poorly fitting saddle no matter what the make. Get in a saddle fitter you can trust and ask them to make recommendations. :)

Lucy has a Wintex Isabel and goes very well in it - much better than other saddles we've tried that at first glance looked more "appropriate" !!

another vote here for Thorowgood saddles. My chap has virtually no wither, and was a lovely fit ( and for me to!) never had any issues with it. I originally bought it as a breaking in saddle... but I kept it!

as you can see he looks happy and relaxed! With my daughter riding

delamereforest002.jpg

it was actually a Maxam, which is an older style ( non adjustable)

this is his flat back!!! prob not the best angle but when neck up.. the withers disapear!

KAI4jan.jpg

newrider.com