Who has tried CBT/NLP/hypnosis/affirmations, also the Human Givens approach?

Russet

Nov 14, 2009
I need to improve my motivation and confidence, and think more positively. I have been feeling "stuck" for a long time, and this year has been emotionally very painful. My confidence has taken a battering, and I have been thinking more negatively than I used to. When I think about the future, I can only see it in terms of losses, and life getting more difficult, which is obviously very unhelpful.

There are so many psychological therapies out there, it's a minefield. I can't really afford to see someone to teach me how to use them (or only for a few sessions to get me started), so I'll probably be going down the route of using books/cds. It needs to be straightforward to use; I don't "do" complicated!

I'm not sure about hypnosis in that I've heard it often works in the short term, but the effects don't always last. I've just started using a Louise Hay cd of self esteem affirmations, and am feeling feel quite a bit better already, but wonder if this only works short term too.

I came across the "Human Givens" approach recently, but don't think it is that widespread as it's not been around for all that long. What I've read about it sounds very positive in that it works very quickly, and it looks straightforward. There's a therapist who does this not far from me who sounds very good from his website. Trouble is, his normal fee is £70 per session :eek: though he will reduce it if you can't afford that. Apparently most people only need about four sessions, and feel a lot better after the first one, so it does sound very effective. He sounds like a very nice, genuine man who really wants to help people. He has some very good testimonials (assuming they're true!) If you don't think it's for you, he wont charge you for your first session, which sounds very fair.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried any of these approaches or anything else I haven't come across, so I can narrow it down a bit.

Sorry to hear you're not in a good place at the mo hun, and I'm sending vibes and hugs to make you feel better. xxx.
I have learned a fair bit about NLP myself. I think, like all these therapies, you really need to cherry-pick the parts that may help you. There are some good books around that explain how NLP works - I've a few myself and will go through them as I seem to remember that one stood out as being more straightforward than the rest. Also, you said you felt 'stuck', and that is a huge part of NLP - helping people out of one 'state' or way of thinking and into another more positive one. Of course, nothing you do is going to work overnight, and all these things take a certain amount of work. For instance, in NLP there are visualisations that you will need to repeat several times, and you need to be fully immersed in what you are trying to achieve.
Don't know anything about Human Givens!
I really wish you were coming to the meet up in Manningtree on saturday. I could lend you some books, plus it would have been really nice to meet you in person!

Had a few confidence issues- tried hypnotherapy and found it helped. Twas pointed out that for deep seated issues a more analytical approach would be better (So shallow not necessary!) which would take more time/sessions. Hypnotherapist agreed, after discussion (free), that a one off would probably do the trick for me (so far so good!). She said something along the lines that if a prob was deep seated a one off session was only like a sticky plaster and that the problem was likely to reappear in a different "disguise."

Sorry you aren't feeling to bright, working in mental health there is a so much therapy if you can access it for your patient, such long waiting lists.... I use this website for activities etc to use with my client group http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/
Have a look through as it has info on CBT and wroksheets you can print and try and establish a few things for yourself, any help give me a pm x

Hi Russet. Sorry you're not feeling your best. What you say reminds me of how I felt a few years ago. I went for hypnotherapy - several sessions as the trigger for me going (fear when riding) related back to something in my childhood 50 years earlier and had been affecting my life in lots of less obvious ways for years. It was worth every penny. I haven't been able to "undo" all the threads, but being able to understand why I am feeling a particular way - and learning some strategies for dealing with it -has been liberating. I hope you find the right thing for you.

newrider.com