Who had the link to the homemade Cavaletti site?

Yup That's the link. Thanks a bunch. I can go ahead and order the Klimke book on Cavalettis on Amazon and get Ray's shopping list together (although I do like them kind of round so I will probably go with 4" PVC pipe instead of wood)

It sounds like Ray is going to be busy! Great idea to use PVC pipe instead of wood, make them lighter to lift/shove into position as well. I don't know what it is like in the US but in Aus the pvc pipe would be cheaper than wooden posts. so a good saving tip to:)

You can get round poles at lumber yards.

As PVC ages, particularly if it's in the sun or has been exposed to cold and heat (ie, it's outside) it can become more brittle. That makes it more likely to break if a horse knocks it--and when it breaks, it shatters.

Wood's much nicer for something you want to be durable :)

Originally posted by galadriel
As PVC ages, particularly if it's in the sun or has been exposed to cold and heat (ie, it's outside) it can become more brittle. That makes it more likely to break if a horse knocks it--and when it breaks, it shatters.

Wood's much nicer for something you want to be durable :)

that is a good point:) did not even think of the sun factor, which is something I should be very aware of living in western australia:rolleyes: (this european winter must be going to my head, i have forgotten about sunshine:eek: ;) )

My husband and I made some a couple of years ago, just like the ones on that site, but with PVC. They were actually quite simple to do, which made it fun.

I have the Klimke books, which is great, but I'd also highly recommend Linda Allen's "101 Jumping Exercises," which has less theoretical information, but a great many more exercises, a large number of which can be set up with nothing more than ground poles and/or cavaletti.

Here they are!

cav1.jpg

18 inches looks actually quite high!

But overall I think they look very nice. The 4 inch round poles didn't work out as they varied too much in width. We still have them. They are huge! Possible material for cross country jumps?

We eventually settled on sorta-round landscape timbers...

cav2.jpg

But as you know you can roll them and get two lower heights...

Last edited:
They look great Karin:D your workmanship or were you the whip behind the hubby;) :D

Just shown them to my hubby, subtley mentioning to him that is what I would like him to make for my daughter and I:D

Good work! They look exactly like the ones we made (but with wood rather than PVC).

Oooh, I love the idea of saving the 4" poles for XC jumps. With your land and trails, you might have the makings of a nifty little XC course. But I'm not jealous. Really I'm not.

Look for 'UV stabilised' PVC. Most outdoor plumbing uses PVC and has had to take this into consideration so like plastics they have changed many of the formulas to make them less susceptible to UV attack. Not much good if your house drains can't take some sunshine! :)

I "acquired" some outdoor pvc piping from some portable building that were being removed, and although I haven't used them for jumping yet (gotta trailer them to the farm - they're too long for the car!), the only time one has broken was when my housemates very large friend walked on one. Given that I've knocked them about a fair bit, I think they wouldn't smash unless the horse landed on them.

I might give those cavalettis a go!!

newrider.com