Who else can't loose school their horse?

Kc..

Nov 7, 2007
North Cotswolds
www.casseywatson.co.uk
I can Nimby and actually he's brilliant at it but the horse i really really need to loose school i can't.

I think it would do Lantern the world of good loose jumping, i can't lunge as the wings are too high and i would never get the lunge line over them.

It all goes well for a while then he'll be stood next to the fence i'll ask him to move on and he'll say "stuff this, i'm off" jump the fence and go home! Obviously this is less than ideal as although i know he'll always come home (lol he sounds like a cat but truth is he will because Nimby's always at home!) and our drive is very quiet but on the off chance he went running onto the drive and there was a car coming... well doesn't bare thinking about. He's done it 3times since we've had him once with me.

I got brave and trotted him round the arena off the lunge the other day. Luckily one side of the school is a ditch/hedge, and the two ends are overgrown trees and stuff it's just one side is a bit open so i put tarpawlin on the fence and propper poles up along it and well... he didn't escape but then we weren't doing much!

Any things i could do to stop him?

I can't loose school Springer, but that's purely because YO won't allow it.
I think he would be very good at it, and like you i want to get Springs jumping bigger but can't on the lunge as the line won't go over the wings.

I cant do it as I have no idea how and I'm a dubious on the whole 'loose' schooling thing anyway, how are you supposed to control their movements ? Step in front of them ?

Control their movements in what way?

When i loose jump Nim i ask him to move forward he trots round i keep behing him then ask him round to the jump he canters over it and there you go :D mind you he's had a lot of practice so he's good at it!

I dont loose school. Boss isnt very good at it, doesnt seem to know what is asked of her. If i had more time, or need then i would spend more time teaching her, but at the moment i dont and due to her breathing probs i cant afford for her to gallop round the school like a loony.:rolleyes:

i dont loose school
not allowed
have done whilst tehere away tho :p
but not loose schooling as such
let harvey have a wander about and he took off running about like a tart & then wen i put a jump up it was a big no no

I cant do it as I have no idea how and I'm a dubious on the whole 'loose' schooling thing anyway, how are you supposed to control their movements ? Step in front of them ?

i loose school exactly the same as i lunge, but without the line if that makes sense?:p voice commands and then i just use my lunge whip to back them up if needs be (obvs. not on her though) use your body language to keep them out ect.:)

Can you not get some tyres without the inside(hard to explain when you dont know the correct word :rolleyes: ),, garages around here are really happy to get rid of them, i stack them and place pole on top and use them as a 'wing' when lunging as thers nothing for line to get caught on as the stack is only as big as the jump.
and as for the whole horse escaping i have no advice, sorry :eek:

i loose school exactly the same as i lunge, but without the line if that makes sense?:p voice commands and then i just use my lunge whip to back them up if needs be (obvs. not on her though) use your body language to keep them out ect.:)

Yes that's me too.

I used to loose school a lot at my first yard but haven't since moving because I haven't had a school.

Joy took to it straight away though, I was very lucky. She is very voice responsive and if you can keep her concentration she sensitive to body language. Getting those 2 things sorted out made her a better easier horse to deal with everyday so it has positive knock on effects. :)

newrider.com