Who doesn't use travel boots?

Clava

Apr 24, 2008
On the South Downs, Hampshire
.....and why?

I was looking up tendons over heating and ended up reading a long thread on another forum about not using travel boots because of the dangers of them slipping and so wondered how you all felt about it?

Bobbin tells an awful story explaining why she doesn't use them :( I can't remember the details but I think the horse got them caught on the partition.

I don't use boots, but use big polo/stable bandages (without gamgee :eek:) and run them down around the bulbs of the heel and the coronet band. But when we come home I normally travel legs naked :eek:. On longer journeys I'll put on hock and knee boots and will do the same on the way home.

I do this because I'm seen a fair few instances where boots have come off and therefore rendered useless and where horses have had one slipp and then caught it and then panicked :(

Having said that, Rosie travelled naked from Sussex to Norfolk naked and had no problems, but then she was in a box with true herringbone partitions so less things to bang her self on :eek:

Daffy travels completely naked usually.

He doesn't like travel boots and he is happier to load without them, and he comes off the trailer looking happier without them.

I haven't used them in recent times as the horses often had hoof boots on and we were only going on short journeys anyway. Last time I travelled Rio I put travel boots on her, and she seemed far less happy about it. I think I'll stick to brushing boots, leg wraps or nothing at all in future.

I used them once when we were using a professional transporter and arrived at the event with hot and sweaty horses coming off the lorry so we didn't use them on the way back. The lady who transports said she always travels her own horses naked(competition dressage) and they go all over the country. When my horse was delivered in a trailer she was naked then and perfectly fine so I won't bother in future. I would also only put a travel rug on if it was actually a cold day.

I think the lady commented that we generally wrap our horses up for our own comfort rather than theirs a bit like over rugging in winter - they are hardier than we think. I was happy with that, she's been transporting for years and her horses look great!

Last edited:
I'm trying to get my mare slowly used to wearing them but generally if she has them on she will kick the Sh** out of the trailer all the way, starting to just out front ones on and back ones for very little journeys!

Ideally, I'd rather she had them on all the time though

I can see the point of using brushing boots or similar and even over reach ones to protect legs during loading and unloading - they wouldn't slip but still provide a fair bit of protection.

Previously I've used travel boots.

If travelling Lexi alone, I don't use travel boots, but I do use brushing boots and OR boots.

If travelling her with company, I use travel boots - worried about her being stepped on

if i'm travelling Finn then i will use either boots or bandages on him as he is shod and will catch himself if not booted up!
if i travel the ponies then they don't have anything on, partly because they are barefoot and also because they settle better without.

When I bought Jacob they delivered him to me totally naked, but for my own reassurance I put the fleece stable bandages on just below his knee to the hoof and back up again, he generally travels really well and never hear him stomp or make any noise so have no reason to put boots on, just use the bandages incase he jsut get a bit unsettled... :rolleyes::D

If im literally going round the corner to the local competition centre, then I dont use travelling boots, just brushing boots and over-reach boots.

If im going any further than that, then yes, I put on travelling boots.

I dont use them, partly as you say I've been told they can cause legs to overheat and increase the risk of breaking down when you get where you are going. And because my boy hates them....

My horse stands on them when getting her balance (not a good traveller however good the driver) and pulls them down, making the journey worse for herself. Without, she's fine. She's not shod though. If she was, I'd have over reach boots on and polo wraps.

I am not a fan of travel boots, I tend to use either brushing and OR or nothing, depending on which one I am travelling.

I have heard of horses panicking in travel boots when trying to balance, because they are so bulky they think their legs are trapped.

black pony goes completely naked she is a hunting pony and is strong and hardy not like these weakling tbs!! :p;)

grey pony wears bandages as had a bit of an incident with travel boots slipping and getting caught on the partition and being ripped to shreds. :rolleyes:

it is down to preference different horses travel better with different things. i know a lot of people now who travel in bandages with gamgee and overreach boots.

newrider.com