Who does yoga, and what benefits do you get from doing it?

Russet

Nov 14, 2009
After rereading the thread about hip problems and riding, in which I posted that I find the yoga pose tailor, or cobbler, as someone called it, very helpful, it got me thinking about yoga.

Because I've been feeling a bit down and unmotivated for quite a while, I've been looking into what I can do to feel better. I've been listening to a Louise Hay cd of self esteem affirmations for a week or more, which does seem to have helped quite a bit, :bounce:, and am looking into CBT and NLP. I've also decided that I need to do more exercise, so have resolved to go for a walk 5 times a week, even if it's just for 10 minutes, as exercise seems to be important for your mood. I'm still doing rebounding for 4-5 mins at least once a day, which I started 4 months ago which has certainly helped, but I do need to spend a bit more time exercising. I don't usually ride more than once a week, mostly in walk, so that doesn't really count.

Yoga seems to be very good for you, and is my kind of exercise as it's slow and relaxing, (not all forms of it are, I know, but hatha yoga is) and benefits mind, body and spirit. I'd be interested to know who does yoga regularly and how it makes them feel, to hopefully inspire and motivate me, as I'd like to get into the habit of starting a short and easy yoga routine. Any book or DVD recommendations would be welcome. :smile:

I had a back injury a long time ago that put me in a wheelchair. SLowly I recovered and have a jolly good back all things considered. When I was recovering both my surgeon, physio and osteopath told me never to do Yoga.

so I didn't until about 5 years ago, when I thought why not, my back is as good as it's ever been, it's gentle exercise, I can't do any harm..........I crippled myself, they were right and I have never had the courage to try since! :eek:

I go to yoga most weeks and really enjoy it although its very telling in terms of my age and weight - neither of which help! When i go to yoga regualrly I dont really notice the benefits except for the fact that I always walk out of a lesson feeling a good inch taller than when I started! However if I dont go for a few weeks I start feeling really stiff. Im better if I go twice a week but rarely find the time.

I have been to several people's classes and the style varies enormously. I cant be doing with the whole chanting thing (giggle like a silly girl and get glared at) so go to a no nonsense, get on with it style class. My current teacher never corrects you but will sometimes give hints to the whole class rather than single out one person - things like 'dont let your knees swing to one side' etc. All the classes i have been to are very much non competitive - its about working with where you are now and striving to get the pose as perfect as you can sometime in the future. If it looks nothing like it at the moment then thats fine - you'll get there!

Some poses I really like, some I struggle with but Im concious they are all good for me. When I went every week, all of a sudden I noticed the poses I couldnt do at the start I could hold for a few minutes - it just kind of snuck up on me without me noticing!

I was yoga that inspired my lastest diet phase. For weeks Id been really struggling with one seated twist that everyone else appeared to find easy - it dawned on me one day that I couldnt do it as my belly and boobs were in the way! :redface: Cue the diet!

If you've never tried it, do give it a go - it really has many health benefits :angel:

Having done both yoga and pilates, i stuck with pilates. I injured my back and was advised to do pilates which helped a lot (also helps with core strength for riding). Yoga did nothing but set my back out again and i stopped going to the classes. Try pilates instead!

newrider.com