white line stretched on hinds??

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
hm! whilst angels (newly barefoot) front look good, with a nice white line, i cannot help but noticing that the white line on her hinds (which have been unshod for the past 9 years and have never had any problems) seems to be stretching somewhat?!

what does that mean? do i need to be worried?! why the hinds and not the fronts?!

farrier coming on monday anyways, so will ask him, but if anyone knows anything about this sort of thing?

Don;t know but first thoguht was how long are the toes? I'm totally rubbish at feet but would the toes need backing up to take the strain off them and prevent separation issues?

Come on barefoot peeps. NP needs you! :mstickle:

I had the same a few weeks ago, phoned trimmer and she said most likely explanation was grass. I worked out we had moved fields around the same time. All fine now :)

Its where you reduce the height of the wall under the quarters. Kind of a shallow scoop. It allows for proper hoof mechanism - as the hoof hits the ground, the leg travels down the hoof, and the quarter relief allows the hoof to expand. More important on hard ground than soft. Horses without it, that need it, often have an upwards bulge or wave in their coronet because the hoof has to expand upwards instead. Also can get quarter cracks.

Last edited:
Ahhhhh, now I know! My horse gets those bulges in her walls. My trimmer has recently suggested to me that I should keep the "quarter relief" trimmed in myself between trims. (except he didn't call it quarter relief) makes sense. My horse also has a wee crack developing in one heel.

seperation will also grow down - so it could be from a while back.

Where is the white line seperating? Toes, quarters etc?

Ive found big pony is currently growing excess wall height on her fronts, which is making her white line seperate as whilst they aren't ;ooking long in the toe, they are forced to flare because of the wall height - Ive just been rasping the wall height off.

newrider.com