White horses and blue food dye.

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Has anyone tried this?i seen a post on fb and the lady had a before and after pic of her piebald cob and well the difference was amazing.she uses a bottle of baby shampoo and added around 6-10 drops of blue food coloring and swears by it.
Not that I'm planning on bathing Neala at the moment but will be come summer and am tempted to give this a go,just wondering if anyone has tried it without coming out with a blue horse :eek:

Oooh - might be something to use on the Tobes - although I am not sure a blue rinse would be that becoming!!!

Still, I suppose it stands to reason, you would use purple shampoo to get yellow out of your hair, so I guess the blue food colouring would do the same.

Let us know when you have tried it and take some pics!!!

Lol well I like the colour blue and as I'm not really bothered looming odd if Neala ends up blue its not the end of the world I'm sure it will wash out :D
I will update when bathing weather returns and I will give it a go.I will let Neala have a nice treat for been blue rinse test dummy ;)

Fab, Tobes can go next, although I think blue rinse would be preferable to the headplanting muddy colour that he appears to be a lot of the time.

If I ever have another horse - probably unlikely, spec Tobes will live to be 100 - it won't be a pale one!!!

Just be a little cautious, perhaps try a small area first.....it is what it says a 'dye' and could leave hideous purple/blue streaks or worse!:unsure:

I used to use the same thing on my horses as I did on my own bleached blonde hair! Any shampoo especially designed to take the yellow out of mine, I figured was Ok for the horse too! I currently use John Frieda products (mainly because he is a relly.:biggrin:) and if I still had a coloured or a palomino I would be using this on them.....quite cheap really as it goes a long way but very kind to my hair, so hopefully equally gentle for the horses sensitive skin:

http://www.johnfrieda.ie/ProductDetail/Hair-Care/Sheer-Blonde/Color-Renew-Tone-Correcting-Shampoo

Lol yes I have always liked a coloured but never thought I'd have one with more white than colour!!
I think tobes would look dashing sporting able rinse :p

I would play safe and just buy the shampoo for horses with it in it.

Mine hates bathing, she only gets the one as I don't show.

I tried the horse stuff and tbh was not impressed and it wasnt cheap,but have used blue fairy alot which has always been good.
Well ill be honest i dont show but really enjoy bathing horses and mums boss has a hot horse shower that he is happy for me to use over at his :) she was scared to death of the hose when i got her but now stands with the leadrope over her neck while i scrub her feet out and hose out her frogs and she has had her feathers washed once since i got her as they were beyond brushing out.but it is me who enjoys it mpre than anything :)

I've tried 2 different shampoos for grey horses (the blue/purple shampoos) and they worked brilliantly. You do have to wash with a normal shampoo first, then rub that stuff in and leave it for 10min before washing off but I definitely saw a good difference!

I use a purple shampoo called Quic Silver on Cyrus when he has baths and works wonders, makes him snowy white (not that that last for long :giggle:) also use it mixed with some mane and tail and warm water to wash his tail and really gets it beautiful and white :biggrin:

Too cold for baths now (we only have cold water hose) only his tail gets washed these days, and his legs get mud hosed off when he comes in from field. He has actually been keeping himself fairly clean with the help of rugs. At least his body does thankfully so he usually just needs a brush :biggrin:

Never heard that about food colouring! Good job I hadn't or I'd have tried it on my own hair when it was bleach blonde! Lol I used to spend a small fortune on Silver touch shampoo etc to neutralise the brassy look!! My old RI once said any shampoo with blue in it would work on greys and get them looking very bright and clean. There are a few I've seen in our tack shop (not that I intend bathing madam anytime soon!)

newrider.com