While everyone is talking about CONFORMATION

Kecka~Rocka

chase the blues away
Oct 17, 2006
Lincolnshire
How about giving me your oppion on my coloured cob, he is 15.2hh. Im going to do some dressage and showing with him this summer and my OH will be jumping him.

I dont get offended easy either so peoples thoughts are welcome.

These was taken end of last summer but i dont have any recent side shots naked.

new044.jpg

new046-1.jpg

Hello, He's got very nice colours... and looks like he's in top shape!!! :D Although I thought cobs were more chunkier!!!?? ;) I still haven't got this breeding/conformation down packed yet... :D

Although, it has caught my eye those lines on his hooves... Just out of curiosity did he have laminitis at one time?

Last edited:
He's cute. Nice little cob, bit on the light side. If you're planning on showing him he needs a lot more topline and muscle tone. Try lunging him over raised trotting poles to help build up his shoulders, and trot up lots of hills to build up more of a cobby back end!

hi, i think his conformation is ok, though i would say he needs a rounder back end.

what did catch my eye though is....they are really nice stables:)

I don't think he needs to be chunkier, looks like a lightweight cob to me, I mean you can't increase bone mass can you?

One thing I would like to see is what Bellazebra pointed out, he needs more muscle over his top line - particularly his back and quarters, as they look a little angular and weak.

He looks a little long in the back but its nothing major. He's really cute!

What are those lines on his hooves though?

I don't understand people saying he needs to be chunkier?? Are you talking about weight? Because he certainly is not underweight.

I think he looks a good weight for the end of summer in those pics, if he is that weight now though you need to up his workload a little so he doesn't balloon over spring :p as cobs tend to do!

He does need more topline as people have said, he looks to have decent conformation so this should be easy enough to build up with proper work.

the lines on his hooves shouldnt be anything too worry about, my sec b has one on her hoof, asked the farrier about it and he said its just th epigment of the hoof, check the coronet band to see if it is on there as well. if it is its fine. if you are concerned ask your farrier.

the lines on his hooves shouldnt be anything too worry about, my sec b has one on her hoof, asked the farrier about it and he said its just th epigment of the hoof, check the coronet band to see if it is on there as well. if it is its fine. if you are concerned ask your farrier.

I think people are asking about the horizontal lines/ridges in his hooves, not the vertical stripes!

ILL TRY AND ANWSER YOUR QUESTIONS.

The lines on his foot have only just come to light when we shaved off his feathers not sure what they are as he has them on all fours in around the same place????,
new036-1.jpg
he had terrible legs with scabs and grease which are slowly healing. He has not had Lami while ive had him. He is 9 yrs old.

Thanks for your tips on building up his top line we are working on that as we speak (should really get some up to date pics) we have been hacking out and lunging as well as flat work. I like the idea about raising poles but how high, could i place them on tyres???

He rarely that clean, yes he had just been bathed as he was just clipped from the hairy monster he used to be!!!!
party0033.gif

Last edited:
The lines on his feet are possibly partly down to a change in feeding. You see it a lot on horses who go from sparse grazing to richer grass; perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. If the pics were taken at the end of summer, it's likely that nutritional changes at the end of winter, going into spring, has resulted in changes in horn growth. The other possibility is that he's had some form of infection in the coronet, which has affected horn development. Ask your farrier to have a look; if he's had scabby greasy legs, that could also be the reason for the odd horn growth.

As a cob he's nice; no, he's not a heavy cob, but that's not a fault! He has better hocks than lots of his type (lots have rather straight hocks) - his are not bad at all. His thigh is a little weak and he is slightly goose-rumped; again, quite common in his type. Neither are terrible though - there are lots of splodgy cobs with very weak back ends, and his is not.

He has a lovely open shoulder, if a little straight (again - straight shoulders are typical of his type!), good length in his quarters (from hip to point of buttock - lots of power there), good deep strong loin. His canons could maybe be a tad shorter... I dunno... that really is nit-picking though!

Neck's set on nicely, head too - he doesn't look too thick through the throat.

Other than the niggly bits and the need for a stronger topline (which as has been said will come through work) he's a nice little cob. I like him. :)

newrider.com