Which riding school?

Emma_

May 18, 2021
So basically I have been to 3 different horse ridigg by schools so far that I like and I can’t decide which one to stay at first is Bold Heath where I go for private lessons that are £25 and I was off the lead reign rising trot in my second lesson (but I got riding trot on my first lesson )then there is seven stars equestrian where I have had 2 group lessons with 4 people which where £16 each and also a quick bareback ride at a pony club I went to there all riding the same horse and am rising trot still on the lead rein though but I really like the horses there and the people and very nice then there is Landlords farm equestrian where I have had one semi private lesson and I love it the horse I rode was more forward going so I didn’t have to kick her once compared to the other riding school ponies where I was kicking multiple times and they didn’t move also there I am learning to steer better and control my horse off the lead rein it is £21 per person for a semi private there
All lessons where 30 minutes long
Sorry for long post but I just can’t decide which school to go to and as I’ve been to the different ones I am at different stages at them and it’s a little awkward still being on the lead rein when I know I’m fine without it but I would feel bad if I went to a different riding school but I don’t know why
If anyone has any recommendations on which school sounds best I would greatly appreciate it

I'd say the Landlords Farm Equestrian one sounds best, not least because I can't abide kicking constantly but also because they're working on things like steering.

Reactions: Emma_
I'd agree with Carthorse. Forward going horses are better in my book! Plus with a semi private you get more attention and will learn faster.

Whichever you choose, enjoy it!

It isnt clear to me why you tried three diferent schools so early in learning to ride. It is best to have 2 or three lessons with one teacher and horse before taking a decision. I would agree with Carthorse.
But a word about the lead rein. Some schools give many hours on the lead rein or on the lunge. Lead rein is used when a group of new riders are being taught together. Group lessons are cheaper and not all kids can afford private.

Time on the lead rein means the learner does not take full control of the horse which can be annoying if you are the learner, but the aim is to improve one's balance on the horse. Having good balance is going to help a lot later on with many things: steering, sitting trot, learning to canter and one's safety on a horse.

Many of us instead of a lead rein will have learned with lunge lessons circling the teacher on a long rope. As a new rider, being on the lunge feels like a lead rope, but lunge lessons are highly valued even by advanced riders. And though I have been riding for 20 years I still like to go back to our instructor for a lunge lesson every year.

Sooner or later we will all be sitting on a horse that spooks or runs away in fright. If you have gained good balance on the horse in your early lessons on a lead rope or lunge, you are less likely to fall off when that happens.
The time scale varies eormously. Some students will trot and canter off the lunge in half a dozen lessons. But it is more realtistic to look at 2 years of weekly lessons.

You spoke of having a chance to ride bare back. This is rare even in good riding schools and is a very special experience. Walk and trot bareback is wonderful for teaching balance and also for helping you to feel the horse through your seat. I was lucky to have bareback lessons and hope to have more this summer. I wear a body protector in bareback lessons. But riding bare back with a good teacher is very different from students just riding back to the stable with no saddle.

You’ll almost always progress faster in more private lessons, which is probably why you were doing more sooner with the first. The last sounds a good compromise if cost is a concern and if you prefer the horses it seems logical to go back there.

It isnt clear to me why you tried three diferent schools so early in learning to ride. It is best to have 2 or three lessons with one teacher and horse before taking a decision. I would agree with Carthorse.
But a word about the lead rein. Some schools give many hours on the lead rein or on the lunge. Lead rein is used when a group of new riders are being taught together. Group lessons are cheaper and not all kids can afford private.

Time on the lead rein means the learner does not take full control of the horse which can be annoying if you are the learner, but the aim is to improve one's balance on the horse. Having good balance is going to help a lot later on with many things: steering, sitting trot, learning to canter and one's safety on a horse.

Many of us instead of a lead rein will have learned with lunge lessons circling the teacher on a long rope. As a new rider, being on the lunge feels like a lead rope, but lunge lessons are highly valued even by advanced riders. And though I have been riding for 20 years I still like to go back to our instructor for a lunge lesson every year.

Sooner or later we will all be sitting on a horse that spooks or runs away in fright. If you have gained good balance on the horse in your early lessons on a lead rope or lunge, you are less likely to fall off when that happens.
The time scale varies eormously. Some students will trot and canter off the lunge in half a dozen lessons. But it is more realtistic to look at 2 years of weekly lessons.

You spoke of having a chance to ride bare back. This is rare even in good riding schools and is a very special experience. Walk and trot bareback is wonderful for teaching balance and also for helping you to feel the horse through your seat. I was lucky to have bareback lessons and hope to have more this summer. I wear a body protector in bareback lessons. But riding bare back with a good teacher is very different from students just riding back to the stable with no saddle.
I didn’t purposely do it I started at bold then realised it was very expensive so I started at seven stars as groups at bold Heath where still £25 for an hour then seven stars where being a pain with booking lessons and I had two lessons cancelled in two weeks so on one of the weeks I went to landlords farm just because I couldn’t go to seven stars and ended up really liking it

I didn’t purposely do it I started at bold then realised it was very expensive so I started at seven stars as groups at bold Heath where still £25 for an hour then seven stars where being a pain with booking lessons and I had two lessons cancelled in two weeks so on one of the weeks I went to landlords farm just because I couldn’t go to seven stars and ended up really liking it

I don't see any harm in trying different places and instructors even early on. Teaching is very personal and you shouldn't feel you have to stay with a teacher that isn't right for you or who you feel you aren't progressing with. You don't know unless you try.

Reactions: Huggy and Emma_
I have decided to go to landlords farm equestrian canter and within 5 lessons there I have cantered twice 😁 but It felt quite smooth on one horse the. When I tried it on a different horse I was bouncing in the saddle this horse was quite lazy though could that be why ?

Reactions: GaryB
Horses can have very different actions, if you get a chance to watch a group lesson then look at the horses and you'll see they have varying lengths of stride, more or less knee and hick action, some move more from the shoulders and quarters than the others, some swing more through the back, some round their backs up while others hollow - it all makes a difference to how they feel when you ride.

Horses can have very different actions, if you get a chance to watch a group lesson then look at the horses and you'll see they have varying lengths of stride, more or less knee and hick action, some move more from the shoulders and quarters than the others, some swing more through the back, some round their backs up while others hollow - it all makes a difference to how they feel when you ride.
That would make sense thank you 😊

newrider.com