Which is harder work riding or driving?

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Just wondered which is likely to get Albi fitter quicker? His cart is well balanced - I had Mr & Mrs YO sit in it and I could easily and surprisingly lift the shafts and move them around as you sit right over the wheels. But the harness is heavier than a saddle and bridle combo. I know they reckon a horse can pull 2.5 times it's own weight when it certainly couldn't carry that ratio!! So just wondered if anyone knows what is easier for them?

I have no idea, but I suspect that driving pulling a weight with a well-fitting harness is easier on the horse's body than carrying a human on a well-fitting saddle. I think there was a thread about this not long ago...

I have been told driving is easier for them (in a well balanced cart and not overloaded obviously) however driving does have a higher impact on the horses hind quarters.

According to my trainer anyway, and he's a very well respected man of 50+ years in the area and in the BDS.

Thank you. I do remember the "pulling the cart or pushing the cart?" debate of some years ago.....

Driving is much easier for them as they are only ever only carrying the weight of their harness and the occasional loading on the shafts. Once the vehicle is rolling the horse has very little work to do to keep it moving. Obviouly if you live in really hill country they will have more work to do,

newrider.com