which is best?lorry or trailer.help and advice needed

summercandy

Aug 6, 2008
Kent
I finally am able to start shopping around for either a 4 x 4 and trailer or a small lorry .If I get a lorry I want it to be under 7.5t and carry 2 maybe 3 horses and either have living or room to carry tack. It seems that I can't afford anything under about 10 yrs old so the alternative would be to buy a trailer and 4 x4 which would mean I could get something a bit newer.What I would like to know is which would be the better combination both in running/upkeep costs and the fact I would probably only really use during the summer months. I have heard that older lorries tend to have starting difficulties if you don't use them throughout the year.Does anyone know if this is true? If I go for 4 x 4 and trailer then I am open to ideas as to the ideal tow vehicle and will probably either go for an ifor,equitrek or cheval liberte trailer.What are the pros/cons of these types of trailers?

I had an Ifor Williams conversion 3.5t, and absolutely hated it. I never felt safe driving it, and in my opinion wasnt that stable.

I alreay owned a RAV, so swapped that out for a Discovery, sold the lorry and bought a Ifor Williams 505R trailer and havent looked back since.

I love the trailer, very easy to drive, takes a little while getting used to with having to steer in the opposite direction when reversing, but im ok with that now.

Somebody I know hired a Richardson trailer, got half way down the M25 and called the hire company to come and bring a trailer, as the Richardson was snaking so much (and this was a competent driver).

Also you have to pay for MOT, tax and insurance for a lorry (even if you dont use it), but only insurance for the trailer (at a fraction of the cost)

:)

For a 7.5t lorry to be within it's weight and carry 3 horses it will only have very basic living....

If you get a lorry you will have to have it plated every year (very thorough MOT), Tax and Insurance - if you live in or around London, it will also have to be a 2002 reg or newer (something to do with the emissions).

4x4 and trailer - you will have to tax and insurance the car, but the trailer will only have to have insurance - service costs are minimal..

But, it's also down to personal preferance..... I would go for a 4x4 and trailer myself.

I am not near the LEZ thankfully so that is not an issue for me but that is still helpful to be aware of the age of the vehicle.Not very fair on those who live close to the M25 though.
If I get a lorry it needs to carry 2 horses,no more than 3.Ideally I would like a 3.5t box as that is a normal mot test rather than a plating which would be easier for us as the nearest plating centre is almost 40 miles away.However I am aware that I would find it difficult to get a 3.5t box that would carry 2 horses legally and safely.My horse is only 15h but I would on occassions be taking friends out with me to the beach and places so I need to be able to ideally take an extra horse on board.I guess lorry wise the ideal solution would be a 5.5t box. If I do get a lorry ideally I would like some sort of minor living area as that would be easier for my family to come along with me.

If I go for a trailer on the otherhand I would need to put some practise in place as I am not used to towing anything as big. I am fairly open to the sort of trailer I would go for. Ifors I am used to travelling my horse in and my friend has one of the new 506's which is lovely.I do like the cheval liberte as I have read lots of good things about them and I like the fact that they are quite light.The thing I like about the equitrek's is that they are side loading and either sideways or rearward travelling which is supposedly more comfy for the horse to travel.

id have a lorry to be honest i had a trailer. most ponys dont like loading in them, there not great for space cant put hardly any stuff in there. i wouldnt say no to one but would rather have a lorry any day.. lorrys just seem safer to me.

amey loves lorrys runs up the ramp. doesnt mind standing in it while at a show. plenty of room to keep your stuff, somwere nice to sit. more room and easier to drive... well i say that because my dad is a lorry driver so years of experiance you see;)

but i suppose lorrys do cost more... i think it depends on what you want for your money.

I have a lorry. Tax for my 7.5 tonne wagon is less than for OH's (unreliable and uncomfortable) landrover & it is cheaper than Landy to run on fuel! Insurance for a cheap wagon is bugger all. My car is a work lease car that costs me £20/month + tax (another £20) and I do plenty of miles in it, so I'd be nuts to give that up for a 4x4. Remember that although lorries can be costly to keep on the road, servicing & repairs for a 4x4 is not cheap either. So for me it's really a no brainer. Add that to the fact that the lorry is going to be a lot more sturdy if it has a bump, mine is a very compact one without living so payload is really not an issue and it's dead easy to drive (says she who left the wing mirror behind on a tree the other day :eek:).

Theres a lorry on ebay just now "W" reg with a basic container (you could fit whatever seats/storage etc you wanted). Its BIN price is £3100.
I doubt you'd get a decent 4x4 for that never mind a trailer too.............

As has been said, depends on your own circumstances. Oh and the lorry MOT is the same checks as for other vehicles - and personally I want to know what I am carrying my pride and joy around in, is as safe as it can be.

I've had both and I wouldn' t go back to trailer lightly now, I love the freedom of a lorry to be able to sit down and get warm and stow my things. I had an Ifor single trailer and it was brilliant but always worried incase my horse got spooked and upset I'm not able to get to them, also a friends horse tried to get out of a jockey door, his legs were a mess and are scarred pretty badly! But it comes down to space, and cash I guess, I know MOT etc not cheap to keep a lorry but if the 4x4 your everyday car as well then not alsways cheap to keep either!

I have had both and will give you my reviews of each

1) Horsebox, there isn't a 3.5ton box that will take 3 horses, only recently has there been a 7.5ton box designed and on the market to take 3 horses so putting three in a 3.5t could invalidate your insurance, get you points, a fine and not being allowed to carry on your journey.
Though a box may have room to take 3 horses it is not legal.
You really need to find out before buying.
Okay

Positives:
Ideal for transporting horse with extra's such as carriage, tack, hay, feed , water etc.
You can travel together with friends
Some with living mean no hotel costs if staying overnight at a venue.
More room for horses.
More secure when transporting

Downside:
Tax, Plate and insurance required,
Servicing can be costly (ours one year was £2000)
Replacement tyres, disc brakes are expensive
Can't go anywhere once at a show (unless someone brings a car)
More expensive to park on livery yards
Not as easy as some make out to drive at first due to size
More expensive to purchase
Steep ramp can deter many horses
Can be hard to sell, value drops quickly.

TRAILERS
I have had two, sold first one as I bought my horsebox due to starting Horse Driving Trails. The second I still have now. (bought recently as no longer driving and box was too big and expensive to keep for the few times we now used it).
I have always bought Ifor Williams, I love the aluminium floors, stability, design and comfort

POSITIVES:
Easy to tow
Cheaper to park at a yard or small enough to park at home
Low ramp for nervous horses.
Partitions can be taken out (I never use my partitions, horses preference)
No Tax or Plate required
Service and insurance much cheaper
Great for teaching trailer loading
New designs make for better lightening inside (more welcoming for horses)
Can be unhitched leaving you free to drive to places.
Easy to maintain (less can go wrong than with a box)
Keep there value (Well Ifor Williams do for definite)

NEGATIVES
Easier to be stolen so plenty of lock deterents required
Not as stable as a horsebox
Can fishtail when towing so driver must be confident / experienced to tow
Some horses don't like the low roof (compared to a box) but good training and patience over comes this.

Off the top of my head that's it, will prob remember other things as the day goes on.

What comes to my mind is buying an old horsebox on a budget often leads to many parts being needed each year at a cost.

Its advisable to get breakdown cover so that adds to the cost.

Box or Trailer, only you can really decide, it also depends on how much its gonna be used, if staying overnight, if other items need transporting that are big (such a quad bike, carriage etc).
Don't go for a horsebox because you may be asked to take friends horses to places.
You can't charge for this so it will be at your expense and its a lot of money to pay each year just to have a horsebox.
Also its not jsut a serive once a year, what if something else goes wrong during the year, money soon adds up.
what would be more practical?

I miss my box, I bought it, had it modified with side stabling and had it fully resprayed and my personnal logo added. Total Cost = Approx £17k then recently sold for £8k and hate to think what we spent in fuel, services etc.

However I love my trailer and its so easy to hitch up and go.

Hope that helps some

Demson

if you buy a 4x4 and trailer you can seell your other car so you just ahve the one. therefore the 4x4 can be driven round all the time and then just hitch up the trailer whenever needed. if you buy a lorry you have to pay for lorry and car to drive round in. i think it works out cheaper to get a trailer as you dont need to put diesel in it!

if you buy a 4x4 and trailer you can seell your other car so you just ahve the one. therefore the 4x4 can be driven round all the time and then just hitch up the trailer whenever needed. if you buy a lorry you have to pay for lorry and car to drive round in. i think it works out cheaper to get a trailer as you dont need to put diesel in it!

A good 4x4 with the required kerb weight are usually expensive to run. Without towing you can expect between 15 and 30mpg depending on size of engine, make, model etc

My friend bought a 4x4 but kept her small car for every day use and only uses the 4x4 if needed. Her small car is only £30 to tax due to tis emissions and insurance is very low. This is what I am planning to do.

The cost to keep a 4x4 and a small runaround is still cheaper than running a horsebox.

The cost to keep a 4x4 and a small runaround is still cheaper than running a horsebox.

I beg to differ.

You must have been unlucky with your horsebox. Mine has not cost me anything like for servicing and general repairs. It costs less to tax and insure than a 4x4. And diesel mph is about the same as a 4x4. Granted I do a heavy mileage for work so run a small car.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Horse-Lorry-T...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1688|293:1|294:50

This is the one on ebay. You could negotiate with them about putting it thro its MOT. If they say no then there's more to it than they are admitting!

No not unlucky just something that every box needs eventually, new clutch,

Usually we pay aroud £400 for a service which is standard, we also have our service and MOT done at the same time.

I have known people with boxes over 10 yrs old shell out a lot more.

Maybe its you that has been lucky and found a box that has been very well cared for.

Not sure which insurance company you go with but my mate pays less tax and insurance for her 4x4 and trailer than her horsebox, it also depends (as I said) on make, model age of 4x4 to fuel consuption, tax etc

Same as with a horsebox, age, model, etc all comes into consideration.

Usually we pay aroud £400 for a service which is standard

weeeeeeeeee!!!! I pay less than 100 a time. Yes MOT separate, £75 = £175 p.a.......

My old landy cost me nearly £4k in repairs - got rid!

newrider.com