Which hat should I get....please help! (anyone with a gatehouse H.S.1?)

kcollinsuk

May 8, 2007
Hi,

I'm going on a riding holiday for a month and the weather will be hot and the days will be long. I want a good hat from a safety point of view because it's over some tough terrain but I want something that will keep me cool.

Has anyone used the Gatehouse H.S.1 hat? Is it cool?

Thanks guys

the vented 'showjumper' hats are brillaint.
How much are you willing to pay?
I have a champion ventair and i LOVE it. But there are loads of vented smart hats around, theres a harry hall elite, JTE then thers GPA's which arnt cheap, but youve brobaly seen the new one, which is COVERED in vents, its not cheap but it will keep you cool.
You can get vented skill caps now, champion and i think charles owen do them,
Then you have the troxel hats (which i personally dont like) but they would keep you cool too

Hi,

Thanks for the reply but I think you've missed the point. I've already go a GPA vented hat but I want something a bit tougher, it's going to be testing treks which could meaning falling off rather heavily so I need something that will provide me with the best protection but also give me some relief from the heat.

Thanks again though

Are you going to Mongolia, by any chance?

To be honest, if you are going to be trekking in really remote areas, I would place hat safety over ventilation, in which case the Gatehouse hat is the bees' knees. Are you expecting high-speed falls or falls onto really bad ground? Because you wouldn't expect to be going at high speed over bad ground, even on a remote-area trek (in fact, especially on a remote-area trek).

If you're going to Africa, though, and its going to be REALLY hot, I think perhaps something like a Troxel might be a good idea. If you get too over-heated, you will get ill, and thats a more significant risk than the risk of falling off onto your head.

newrider.com