Which career?

Clairel

Jun 17, 2009
I'm looking at a massive career change (mid life crisis!).

I have narrowed it down to two options: Animal Physio or Animal Behaviourist.

They would both satisfy my 'needs' list and both will require extensive retraining and money.

Both really appeal to me. I know only I can make the choice but I thought I'd ask where people thought the greater amount of work would be. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Hi, out of the two, I would personally think you'd more likely get work as an animal physiotherapist, especially if you were a Chartered Physiotherapist (which I think is part of the requirement if you want to work on animals). It'd also give you the option of funding the animal physiotherapy course by working with people.

But companion animal behaviour is a growing area, particularly research wise (sorry that's not much help!!).

I'm not sure if you'd be doing either as a first or second degree but if it would be as a second degree, bear in mind now the change with regard to ELQ students, which unis are starting to introduce.

Best wishes for whichever career path you decide to choose.

It would be my second degree. There were no fees when I did my first degree, although I did have a partial student loan for living expenses (now paid off).

What is ELQ?

Thanks

Sorry I should have explained, ELQ stands for Equivalent or Lower qualification. I'm not sure of the full details, but universities may now have to charge higher fees for people doing a course which is the equivalent of, or lower than, an existing qualification.

If there are some uni courses you're interested in, it'd be worth giving them a ring to ask if you would be seen as an ELQ student (which hopefully you won't).

I only found out about this the other day when I was enquiring about a course which is lower than my highest qualification, but which I desperately need to do to retrain:mad:

Sorry I should have explained, ELQ stands for Equivalent or Lower qualification. I'm not sure of the full details, but universities may now have to charge higher fees for people doing a course which is the equivalent of, or lower than, an existing qualification.

If there are some uni courses you're interested in, it'd be worth giving them a ring to ask if you would be seen as an ELQ student (which hopefully you won't).

I only found out about this the other day when I was enquiring about a course which is lower than my highest qualification, but which I desperately need to do to retrain:mad:

there are also some uni's that offer lower rates for "mature" students so depending on age you may be able to negate this elq and get a lower rate anyway.

out of the two i would do phsyio, the behavioural side of things is too new and has to many sticks to throw in the spokes so to speak on any firm teaching to it.

newrider.com