Which bit would be best??

*Grey Gelding*

Apr 13, 2007
(SCOTLAND)
Hi, well i'll quickly tell you a wee bit about my horse so you get the just of things! Hes an ex-sj, i bought him and reluctantly kept him at a riding school for just over a year! He was bought in a rugby pelham, curb chain, flash and standing martingail. Everything came off as my RI suggested to do so and get to know him myself. He was then put in a jointed snaffle, which he proved too strong for. I tired a KK bit - at £115 i was happy for him to disregard it lol! I tried a dutch gag, he didnt take well to that either. Refused to take a contact and took the mick! He is now happy in a jointed cherry roller, and i occasionally use a flash if hes being a monster! Hes 16.2ish and is an irish draugh X thoroughbred! as you can imagine hes pretty strong, and me being 5'4 doesnt help the matter lol!:eek:
So anyway were happy in the roller for flat work and jumping etc!
I now need some advice on bits I could use for more contol when I go into fields and do XC etc?
Any advice would be great thanks!
:)

Personally I have mine in a straight bar pelham, it is the bit they have always seemed to have preferred and I have the control when needed it may be worth a go then you have the control while you school on a hack and hopefully fix any control issues

Sam is also a IDxTB and incredibly strong. I have tried several bits but we have settled on a Kimblewick for jumping and hacking out and a snaffle for flatwork and schooling. I like the Kimblewick because it allows me to have soft hands and not constantly pull on his mouth to control him which is what I was doing jumping him in the snaffle as he would just take off with me. Its the same with hacking, where a gentle squeeze on the reins brings him back to me while we are cantering - so much better for him and I feel better about not having to haul him to a stop. We did do lots of schooling and flatwork for months before I decided on the Kimblewick as I was determined not to change bits, but he is just a strong horse and the schooling was great on the flat but useless for jumping and XC because he just reverted back to excited Sam as soon as he saw the jumps.

I'm not a bitless nut or anything but could you try something like an english hackamore.

My loan pony came in one, i was dsggusted and shocked at the thought he may need one, got him schooling nicley in a simple eggbut snaffle. then took him to a small SJ competition (he used to be competed at least twice a week) and discovered why he had a hackamore!

He is schooled and hacked in a snaffle and jumped in a hackamore, it does take some getting used to, not having any sad contact etc and learning to give a bit more over jumps but it works for him.

I like the Kimblewick because it allows me to have soft hands and not constantly pull on his mouth to control him which is what I was doing jumping him in the snaffle as he would just take off with me.

its like you read my mind! lol, thats exactly what i am needing for him! more control and not having to constantly yank at him! Are kimblewicks fairly strong though? like i wont hurt his mouth with it using normal pressure? or do i have to be extremely light handed with it in?

Thanks!
Laura :)

Personally I have mine in a straight bar pelham, it is the bit they have always seemed to have preferred and I have the control when needed it may be worth a go then you have the control while you school on a hack and hopefully fix any control issues

yeah ive had him in straight bars before and he didnt work well in them :( he seems to work better in jointed bits, as its harder for him to grip on and tank, on the few occasions that he decides to lol!
thanks for the suggestion tho!!:)

Trial and error my friend..

Start borrowing bits and keep borrowing em till you find something he likes. A dog bone mouth pieces with thinner ends might work for him if he already likes a double jointed snaffle. I have one that is pretty fine, that I use for refinement work because it has more bite at the corner then a simple smooth snaffle.

The other idea would be to try some different ports in a straight bar. Some horses will go miles better in something with a higher port simply becuase thier tongue is more comfortable.. which may actually be the situation here since you have identified he likes a double joint.. which means it would sit up properly whereas a bar would just compress his tongue.. Dear lord does that make sense I am having trouble expressing myself.. time for another latte!

its like you read my mind! lol, thats exactly what i am needing for him! more control and not having to constantly yank at him! Are kimblewicks fairly strong though? like i wont hurt his mouth with it using normal pressure? or do i have to be extremely light handed with it in?

Thanks!
Laura :)

I think with any bit, they are only as severe as the hands on the reins.

I have PM'd you a link to a website where the Kimblewick is discussed at length. Have a read but remember, what suits one horse may not suit another. Sam likes his Kimblewick and is going really well in it. The only way to find out if it will suit your horse is to give it a try for a few weeks :)

Thanks everyone! i shall have a look into the kimblewick and ive got another bit in mind to borrow from a mate - its a roller mouth dutch gag, which i feel he may aprove of - same mouth piece to keep him in his comfort zone and more poll pressure if i go one ring down! ;) cant wait to try him in some new ones!
:)

i would also try a kimblewick or go for the pelham with 2 reins/roundings. pelhams don't have to be severe, you don't have to have a curb chain for instance.

Thanks he was in a pelham when i got him, tried him on the double reins and the roundings, with the curb chain and chin strap and without :( im sure i'l find the right bit in time :)

i would try a cheltenham/balding gag esentially a snaffle, but with the cheek pieces running through the bit you have the extra leverage if necessary however if the horse is working properly it acts as a snaffle. only good if you have light hands though. my iSH is in a myler comfort snaffle now which she loves, but when she was in a french link for schooling i would swap to the cheltenham gag for cross country and sponsored rides.

http://www.horsingaroundsaddlery.co.uk/ccp51/media/images/product_category/562.jpg

newrider.com