Which bit is best for a strong Cob

ahperryh

Jan 31, 2011
I have a 12 year old Cob who is very strong i am riding her in a Nueue Schule Trans Angles Lozenge universal bit with curb strap, she is very good in the indoor but going across fields she nearly pulls my arms off, she has not taken off with me but if she decided to go then i know i would have a problem. So with safety in mind has any one any bits they use for hacking out with strong horses but are kind as well and helps with the breaks.

I settled on a ported kimblewick for my very strong cob mare and it gave me enough brakes without having to keep hauling on her mouth. She was actually even better in a pelham but I couldn't be doing with all that reinage and I don't like the idea of roundings giving muffled signals. Didn't stop her from being a forward-going ride though! :biggrin:

The first time I rode her in the pelham we were cantering and I was mainly holding the top rein. When I wanted her to stop I let go of the top rein and very gently lifted the curb rein. Cherry stopped within about 3 paces... so quickly I nearly shot over her head :eek:

ideally you need to work on manners and schooling but as you say, for safety's sake, try a kimblewick. I too used to use a ported kimblewick with slots for hacking. prior to that we used a pelham with double reins as when mine wanted to go, he just went! but the biggest improvement was through our dressage training. i hacked him out on sunday in a snaffle ridden on the buckle and controlled by seat alone. So try the kimblewick in the interim and keep working on the schooling :D

I have a strong cob!!! Although I can ride him bitless I feel I need something more for roadwork, considering he galloped off down the main road with me once. (eeek!). He was in a mullen mouth because I like to use the mildest bit possible, however safety has to come first. I bought one of the Australian Pee Wee bits for him and feel that if he tries it again I have control over the situation. I just use the Pee Wee on the snaffle rings, but there is an option to use it on the lower rings and this is recommended for eventing (although it is highly unlikely he will be doing that, being a big hairy cob!) If you `google` in Pee Wee bit you can get onto the website which tells you all about them. I bought mine from a supplier in this country, but you can order direct from Australia. The sizing is a bit strange, being only two sizes. I would say if your horse takes anything over a 5" size bit, or even 5" then go for the larger size. Hope this helps.

Why is he strong?

Quite agree, ideally, find out why - lack of training, ingrained bad habits, soreness somewhere, fear, wanting to go home? etc etc?

but failing that, for short term safety, I also think kimblewicks are an old-fashioned, (i.e. well and truly tried and tested) straight forward bit that are often overlooked nowadays. I would use a small tongue-rise port rather than a mullen mouth, and would avoid jointed ones like the plague! And always use the curb chain, properly adjusted.

I used to use a kimblewick and a 2 rein rubber covered pelham for my Stallion for addded brakes out hunting. Pure excitment was what got the better of him. For every day stuff he went back to a snaffle.

My cob is naturally light but can go when excited. I ride her generally in a loose ring snaffle but swap to a Magenis for exciting work. With the Magenis I retain fingertip control but it is not good for horses that lean.

It depends however whether your horse is strong through excitement or leans on you?

newrider.com