Where to get a good quality rasp

vels mum

Jul 1, 2008
Shetland
Could you advise me which brand of rasp you find is the best to work with and where to but it online.

Ive just started barefoot trimming and got a cheapish one off ebay but I dont like it much.

I buy either save edge or magicut rasps from Midland Horseshoe supplies, http://www.farriersupplies.co.uk/

The secret, if there is one, is to buy a lot and change them regularly. I use colour coded handles and swap them as they wear, so I have new sharp ones for doing feet and as they blunt I move them over to shoe finishing and taking down the nails.

I keep getting adverts sent to me about rasp sharpening fluid. I keep meaning to try it and see if it works. There is nothing worse that a blunt rasp, makes a hard job harder.

Some suply sites won't supply you without your farriers reg number, and can be really snotty. The guys in the link are good.

Thans for the links.....I think a tripod will defo be beneficial for doing Turk as he like to lean all his weight on the farrier when getting his feet done, farriers tend to call him every name under the sun when they do his feet, understandable as he weighs half a ton :p

Kis vihar - The only trouble is it's hellish expensive, which is what puts me off ordering it.
For the amount of use I give them it's cheaper to buy new rasps.

Save edge rasps & get 2 or 3 so you arent using the same one all the time & have a new one sitting ready.

Another must have, is something to sharpen your hoof knives with. Have tried a few, most are a pain in the butt to work with to get the groove razor sharp, but the one on here is the best I've worked with yet.

http://www.aepsupplies.co.uk/index.cfm?sid=21583&pid=330564

I re-sharpen my knives every time i use em & intend asking Wally to make me a leather pocket or pouch to keep them in rather than keeping them rolled up in an oiled cloth.

The sanding blocks on there are a might handy for finishing off your mustang roll too, nice and easy to work with.

I like the diamond dust sharpeners too. But to hone it to a razor I use my saddle knife buff stick.

It's a strip of leather, with tallow all over it then sprinkled with grinding powder.

Good quality rasp?

I use a Surform from the hardware store as a rasp. It works well and you can buy new blades for it very inexpensively. It is nice and light to handle so why not have a look at one?

I like the diamond dust sharpeners too. But to hone it to a razor I use my saddle knife buff stick.

It's a strip of leather, with tallow all over it then sprinkled with grinding powder.

Same idea lol but I use the spare length on my belt, takes the burr off brilliantly too.

Your leg, so long as you are wearing jeans or twill of some strong construction is great too.

I always used to buff up my foam knife on my jeans clad thigh.

Your leg, so long as you are wearing jeans or twill of some strong construction is great too.

I always used to buff up my foam knife on my jeans clad thigh.

DON'T let Paul read this!:eek: His jeans are ALL full of holes where he either sticks pairs of needles through his jeans so he doesn't lose them...after months of doing this, the jeans can't cope anymore, and he's always sharpening his knives on his jeans! I actually pulled a load of old jeans out of his wardrobe which are WAY beyond wearing, and told him to use THEM for sharpening...They are still on the bedroom floor, he just uses the jeans he has on...! :(

Does work though. :)

See, us saddlers are all a bit mad. Whats wrong with sharpening your knie on the leg of the jeans you have on?

newrider.com