where should legs be?

marino

Dec 31, 1999
Pt. Pleasant, NJ USA
Visit site
I seem to hold on with my calves. I don't understand the concept of holding on with the thighs. So if I understand I should hold on with the thighs and use the calves only for pressure to control the horse. Is that right. Help. I am a beginner, trying to get comfortable before I take some lessons, English. I have been using a western saddle, but never took lessons at all. Any info would be helpful.

CLAUDIA

May 10, 1999
West Virginia
You definitely shouldn't be gripping the horse with your legs. Someone on here said something to the effect of letting your leg wrap around the horse like a wet cloth (Heather or Sarah, perhaps). I think having this leg position is difficult for a beginner to actually do, and it comes with a lot of practice.

In the meantime, you could just try your best to keep your legs relaxed, and let your weight settle into your heels. However, don't ram your heels down; this is very counterproductive. Try to gently roll your thighs inward as if you were trying to touch the sides of your kneecaps together. But don't force your thighs to roll in too strongly or you'll end up gripping tightly, which will ruin your position and signal the horse to slow down (I think that's what the horse will think you want...someone else will know for sure :)).

It also helps to make sure you're sitting in the saddle correctly. You should be sitting in the lowest part of the saddle, which is in between the center of the saddle and the pommel (you'll be sitting rather close to the pommel). When you're in this position, take your feet out of the stirrups, straighten your legs, and bring them out away from the horse. That's what I do to make sure I'm sitting in the saddle snuggly. :)

Moving your horse forward is done with the inside of your calf muscles. The amount of pressure used and the frequency depends on the horse. Start out lightly and get firmer as necessary. Don't tire yourself squeezing the life out of the horse though; back up your leg aids with a light tap from the crop if need be. Again, when you're not working your horse, your legs should be wrapped lightly around his barrel.

Hope I've helped! :D

[This message has been edited by CLAUDIA (edited 31 December 1999).]

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Where should we buy horses from? Older Riders 31
Flipo's Mum The Farrier - Hoof Training Saga....Advice Invited for Where I Should Go From H Training of the Horse and Rider 36
Innocence Where should i get sully's freezemark? Horse Care 24
C Where should I be Cafe 31
Billy Not sure where this should go Cafe 7
TEmily Where should your weight be while leg yielding? Training of the Horse and Rider 18
laceyfreckle Where can you buy lime from? should I and if so when do i use it and how? Horse Care 4
hannah_xx *i know where Romany is*..what should i do!! Cafe 43
scotlori HELP What should I feed my horse and where to buy it? Metabolic 8
Iron Maiden Where the bit should sit Tack & Saddlery 3
A where should my hands be?? Training of the Horse and Rider 12
georgie1 Where should you look.... General 8
midnightmare Where should I buy? General 4
Becky&TheTribe Dont Know where this should go, but what would you do? General 27
mogadoga Dont know where this should be really.... Metabolic 0
Colour_Crazy_Gi Where should i advertise? General 4
Sammii Should i be questioning where my priorities lie? General 18
P Fat deposits - where should they be? Horse Care 4
S Where should i advertise ??? General 16
Esther.D Where should we send Pablo for backing - suggestions in NE UK Training of the Horse and Rider 9
LindaAd Mud where the grass should be 2001 Archive of Posts 3
G Buying a horse (where or how) First Timers 15
Trewsers Didn't know where else to post this - can anyone id this please? Worried / curious / weirded out lol Cafe 15
Doodle92 Can you see where the pheasants erupted?? Cafe 9
Trewsers Fires near to stables (wasn't sure where to post this) Cafe 12
whenyoufeellikeyourflying HELP!!! Where to find a pony for camp next year Cafe 6
N I wonder where the term 'marish' comes from Cafe 3
Native Lover Guess where we are going to play Cafe 14
Frances144 Private Messaging - where is it? Forum Technical Help & Site News 1
Star the Fell So, could I afford a house where you live? Cafe 34
LittleGlengyreServices Equine Muscles, where are they, what are they and how are they used and maintained Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies 3
Star the Fell Where are your hands? Cafe 14
Laura82 Considering getting help but where to start??? Cafe 10
N Where does the term ' field ornament' come from? Cafe 18
Lolatheshowgirl Coloured class where to start? Cafe 4
Prjsmk Snow updates where u are... Cafe 166
Ale Where do you all buy your haynets? Horse Care 14
N Where do you get your blades sharpened? Horse Care 3
U Breaking in a horse where do you stand? Cafe 11
N Where do you go to buy your online horsey items? Cafe 24
misty Where didn't you find yours? Cafe 23
N If you could book a ride anywhere, where would you go? Cafe 26
Kite_Rider Wondering where people go. Cafe 34