Where on earth to find a sharer?

augermoon

Jan 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
Visit site
For those who've known me from previous times, I have a lovely 17.1hh Hanoverian x TB gelding called Arnie who is the love of my life. We have done quite a bit of dressage over the past few years and done reasonably well. But due to a change of career path and a growing interest in taking up other hobbies (namely dog agility), I can no longer manage to ride 6+ days per week and keep up with Arnie's schooling.

I've moved him to a laidback yard with great hacking and am loving it but the reality is that I can't ride more than 3 times a week at the very most. He really doesn't mind either way but I'd like to see him get ridden more often and, as a shiverer, it does him good to keep as fit as possible.

So, having thought long and hard, I've been trying to find a suitable sharer for a couple of months now. Lovely horse etc etc but nothing, nada, zilch. Have advertised on the free ads, Horse to Loan and every other one I can find but no-one seems interested. I can't understand it - there must be someone out there. Does anyone have any bright ideas on where else I can try or what else to do? Or, do I just accept that life changes and that riding 2/3 times a week does not make me a bad mother? Ach, its all so complicated, why can't we stay young and carefree forever???

And if anyone knows someone in the Tewkesbury/Worcester area looking for a share, please do get in touch. Pic below to tempt you. :):)

arniedrsg3.jpg

I don't suppose that you'd like to move to Basingstoke... :eek: :D

He looks lovely but I'm afraid I dont know of anybody in your area. :rolleyes:

I suppose I could always move! ;) :p

Good luck anyway. :)

I have the same problem. I have had a few bites but no one anywhere near suitable.

I would have and did jump at the chance to share/lease a horse before I brought my own. I don't understand why no one is interested.

Nice horse, No vices, yet only beginners or yahoo's are interested.

As a sharer myself i have read lots of thread about shearing. so from reading those and experience the best way to find some one is word of mouth. I dont know what type of person you are looking for but most of the really experienced riders have their own horses. The best place to start would be talking to private RI who work out of different yards. then talk to the RI in local schools. people who dont have a horse no matter their level of experience need to ride somewhere the only place is a school. But an advert up in those schools. Do you have a local tack shop? have they got a message board. Websites are great but when looking you have to spend HOURS trailling though. Also be clear on what type of rider you want. if you say experienced - what do you mean? that can mean so many different things to different people. Try and make the add apeal to all types of riders for example you may love dressage but that might but someone else off as they have never competed and dont want to.

He looks a lovely horse by the way, i would jump at the chance! But i live miles away and have my chunky cob;)

I had a similar experience when I decided to look for a sharer to help with Rio, although I'm very particular and I wasn't prepared to advertise generally preferring to go via word of mouth which won't have helped matters. And this was for a horse I would humbly consider to be a near perfect hack and able to be ridden by any ability and look after them.

The right person was actually on my yard all the time, but it did bring home how hard it can be to find someone suitable, or anyone at all. Yet I know from my previous life that there are lots of people out there desperate to take on this kind of arrangement, never the twain shall meet:p

I have the opposite problem. I'm looking to find a share and am having no luck at all!

I've seen so many fabulous looking ponies offered as a full loan (which I would love, but haven't got the time or money for) in my area, but all the ones offered for share are either too far away, or too much for me to handle riding-wise.

I hope you find something soon, anyway!

he looks beautiful. Perhaps his size is daunting a few folk?

Dont get into dog agility, it'll take over your life;) (it has mine:D )

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Swiftly, I thought the same about his size. Shame as he's lovely to ride. And tell me about the dog agility - its sooooo addictive. :D

Cheers everyone else. Will just keep advertising and hope that someone suitable appears from out of the woodwork.

Hi hi!!! *waves* Ooooh Arnie's still looking gorgeous as ever - and if anyone's reading this and concerned about his height, he's such a nice boy that it doesn't matter - I've ridden him and he was lovely :)

I found my old share horse in adtrader (the yellow paper). I advertsied there for someone to exercise my ownw horse, but had two unsuccessful aplicants (one rode for a few weeks but gave up). I now have someone who hacks once a week for me who I got through word of mouth at a local livery yard, which is working out fine. (It isnt a share though, just riding during the week when I dont have time).

That notwithstanding, I am ashamed to say that Oscar often spends a week just turned out, but though he could do with being fitter, it doesnt seem to do him any harm!

Your horse looks lovely, by the way!

Or, do I just accept that life changes and that riding 2/3 times a week does not make me a bad mother? Ach, its all so complicated, why can't we stay young and carefree forever???

Yes you're right things do change :) and only riding 2 or 3 times a week doesn't make you a bad mother, never having had an indoor school my riding decreases greatly during the winter (also due to me being a fairweather rider :eek: ) Ok the first few months of winter I feel a bit guilty but we soon get used to it :) I'm sure he won't mind a bit less riding until you do find a sharer, and good luck with your search :)

Hi Chloe and Trish :). Good to hear from you.

Yep, I think I'm just going to have to get used to the idea that riding less is okay. Hacked out last night and he loved it - certainly didn't get silly and yet was still fit enough for a fairly speedy hack. So sharer or not, he's certainly not suffering. :D

If you are in a riding club or out competing then just mention to people you know that you are looking for a sharer for him. Word of mouth soon travels quickly ;) Also try sticking an advert on your car it could be quite effective :)

could you not contact a riding club or pony club and see if anyone from there possibly doesnt have a horse at the minute but is a good rider.

how about local riding schools, you could also ask the instructors if they have any good pupils that would like to take the next step and ride a nonschool horse a few days week.

newrider.com